• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Saskatoon seed royalty meeting

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jazz View Post
    If the human consumption market isn't fixed, farmers are just going to start growing oats and crap barley for rotation. I am not going to have my durum feeding pigs in china. f that.
    Its not feeding pigs....its just that the end users can make food out of our 4cwad.....which begs the question about R&D into quality and quantity....

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
      Its not feeding pigs....its just that the end users can make food out of our 4cwad.....which begs the question about R&D into quality and quantity....
      And that creates the problem right there. In order to at last try to break even on cereals, I have to fertilize the sh*t out of it and we end up with high protein #1 last two yrs at least. Spending like a #1 to get paid like a #4 and lose money on quality or spend like a #4 to get a #4 and lose money on yield. There is no way out of this trap. Doesn't make sense to try and grow it.

Comment

We will never out compete China, Eastern Europe, Russia, South America in the commodity markets, our cost of production, regulation, monitoring, freight are all to high, taxation, cost of equipment, infrastructure, cost of living, etc

Why everyone wants to race to commodity markets is insane. What I here or feel when people talk this way is we should sell wheat at a lower cost than the Black Sea ( good, bad or ugly grain) that cannot, and will never happen. Their pricing system or model is “sell at a lower price than every one else” almost Trump like, or Walmart

Comment

Originally posted by Rareearth View Post
          We will never out compete China, Eastern Europe, Russia, South America in the commodity markets, our cost of production, regulation, monitoring, freight are all to high, taxation, cost of equipment, infrastructure, cost of living, etc
          To make matter worse, the food guide came out yesterday and is telling the world to stop eating meat. There goes the diversified farm and ranching. Now all those acres of marginal land will get converted to cheap commodity crops, then over supply like the 80s and its game over for us.

Comment

Read the November 27 news release from WCWGA and edition of the Western Producer and what Levi Wood said in the article ...you dumb ****....
            Big talk Bucket behind a computer screen. I don’t remember ever getting personal with you. You are the typical jealous farmer at the coffee shop. Know it all yet can’t seem to get ahead. Why don’t you post the press release? Every release has been, yes in favour of change but not standing behind any one model yet. That needs to be determined.

Comment

Read the November 27 news release from WCWGA and edition of the Western Producer and what Levi Wood said in the article ...you dumb ****....
              Open invitation Bucket to tour my operation anytime.

Comment

Originally posted by vvalk View Post
                Big talk Bucket behind a computer screen. I don’t remember ever getting personal with you. You are the typical jealous farmer at the coffee shop. Know it all yet can’t seem to get ahead. Why don’t you post the press release? Every release has been, yes in favour of change but not standing behind any one model yet. That needs to be determined.

WCWGA is promoting this. ...downloading costs to primary producers.....

I am not a trained monkey. ...you post the WCWGA release....

And your organization knows my phone number.....I would be more than happy to discuss it with you....but have an open mind....and don't get to offended by my language....it won't change....

As far as success....I will argue that .....I don't coffee shop. ...

I can also point out the WCWGA did a shit job lobbying for an open market transition....we have no transparency that is law in the US....

Your track record means your organization is misinformed. ....

I look forward to your call....
                Last edited by bucket; Jan 18, 2019, 11:20.

Comment

Did not attend meeting but have spoken to people who did and they said it was a good session.

The status quo will not work and has not been working.

To be competitive in the global marketplace we need to ensure we have the best new varieties and technologies available for us to use and deploy on our farms. To ensure we have those investments we need to protect the intellectual property that those that invest are entitled to.

Seed is where it all starts.

Yes, practices have made a difference in performance, but in my case I have been practicing zero till intensive agronomy for over 30 years and since the start of my farming career. Yes equipment and practices have further improved but so have performance of varieties and the technologies that support them. If they had not then we would still be growing the same varieties we were 30 years ago.

We have always played by the rules and laws related to PBR, UPOV and Stewardship agreements. They alone could provide the necessary protections for more intensive and significant private investment in breeding and development but the problem I think is the moral hazard, or what some people would more simply call cheating or stealing.

Frankly the system as it is now lacks the compliance piece of any strategy and no one is suggesting how that might also work under any changes.

I for one have no expectations on this matter from the government other than a well thought out and functioning regulatory and legal framework with the support of a properly functioning compliance system.

Comment

Originally posted by northfarmer View Post
                    Did not attend meeting but have spoken to people who did and they said it was a good session.

To be competitive in the global marketplace we need to ensure we have the best new varieties and technologies available for us to use and deploy on our farms. To ensure we have those investments we need to protect the intellectual property that those that invest are entitled to.

Seed is where it all starts.

Yes, practices have made a difference in performance, but in my case I have been practicing zero till intensive agronomy for over 30 years and since the start of my farming career. Yes equipment and practices have further improved but so have performance of varieties and the technologies that support them. If they had not then we would still be growing the same varieties we were 30 years ago.

We have always played by the rules and laws related to PBR, UPOV and Stewardship agreements. They alone could provide the necessary protections for more intensive and significant private investment in breeding and development but the problem I think is the moral hazard, or what some people would more simply call cheating or stealing.

Frankly the system as it is now lacks the compliance piece of any strategy and no one is suggesting how that might also work under any changes.

I for one have no expectations on this matter from the government other than a well thought out and functioning regulatory and legal framework with the support of a properly functioning compliance system.
                    In other words let government stay out of everything except the part where we farmers pay the whole costs of all this and if we don't obey then the government can come fine us and what else jail us? Isn't this the same group of ideas that apposed the wheatboard controlling our grain?
                    Seed is not the problem. Trade deals and markets and transporting costs and costs of everything else including seed is the problem. Every other industry the players pay their way and if they can't make it they get handouts maybe seed companies need to stick their handout

We're paying way too much as it is for everything. Our wheat market is practically disfunctional and non transparent as it is. Fix that first then maybe move on.

Comment

Originally posted by northfarmer View Post

Sounds like the Koolaid was good at least.

I will bet dollars to donuts that some farmer could take a 30 yr old variety and yield it on par with todays varieties. The yield gains are more likely due to fertilization techniques and intensive management.

You also seem to miss that little chestnut about nobody in the world wanting our top quality stuff. Where is the market? Solve that dilemma first.

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
                        Sounds like the Koolaid was good at least.

I will bet dollars to donuts that some farmer could take a 30 yr old variety and yield it on par with todays varieties. The yield gains are more likely due to fertilization techniques and intensive management.

You also seem to miss that little chestnut about nobody in the world wanting our top quality stuff. Where is the market? Solve that dilemma first.
                        in Moose Jaw yesterday a 4cwad was worth more than 1cwad....the CGC doesn't buy or sell our grain ...it grades it...

If the spec fits our customers (end point) specification ...they (the end user) buys it ...based on parameters far different than the way it was bought at the local elevator...

end point royalties should be charged to the miller, not the seller the grain.....

but I think you could take the the first round up ready variety of canola...like a quest or quantum...pour the same groceries to it and get as good a yield...considering the cost at 1.99 a pound plus the 15 buck an acre TUA as opposed to the 70 dollar an acre seed cost today...

Then let mother nature prove herself again...

Comment

There is no way I would want a 30 yr old variety of wheat here.
                          Maybe a 10 yr variety on Canola if CR wasn't a need.

Comment

Originally posted by vvalk View Post
                            Sask3. Show me where the wheat growers take a position on this. You call us out because we say we need have a dialogue on developing a new system? The WG have never advocTed for one system over another. You really believe our current system works and is profitable as other crops? Comments on here about #4 with the same as #1. Maybe farmers should put all this energy into dismantling the CGC. That organization has lost farmers more money then the CWB. Finally what makes you think seed costs will go up as well as say an EPR. That’s not the way it works. Ask Mallefarmer what he thinks of epr.
                            Vvalk, could you perhaps explain in more detail how variety development would help profitability? Are you hoping the EPR would somehow help in creating a superwheat or have characteristics that no other country could duplicate? If other countries come up with the greatest germplasm, lets just buy it.

Once disease resistance, or yield gains are discovered, all the countries immediately follow suit and we are right back to where we are today - minus a large EPR deduction. Wouldn't it maybe be better if the world produced less wheat and there was market pull for our product, not always market push?

Profitable crops are that way because of market demand, not germplasm research. Wheat will never be bio engineered, so the realizable gains are tiny at best.

Staying ahead of the demand for wheat is not how you make money. So, curious how any of this will benefit the farmer?

In regards to EPR and GRDC, name one major advancement in wheat after the billions spent?

Comment

I like the wgrf for research. I believe 90% goes to research versus about 40% here in ab. for wheat from the check off. I believe strongly in research and dont mind paying for research only but also i believe federal dollars should be there also. I would like to see a small deduction at point of sale and none going to the commission.At least it would all go research and not glossy magazines telling me shit i already know for eg . In any event i think i should have the freedom to decide where my dollars go.

Comment

I for one believe it’s a done deal and we real farmers mean nothing at all.

When you have seed growers supporting it for there benefit.

Research supporting it because follow the money.

They had years to plan this shit and we have months to decide between plan 1 or 2.

Boys were losing out every day to foreign countries that don’t play buy the rules. China is a prime example right now. You honestly think Russia or China or Ukraine or Brazil or Argentina give a shit about us Canadians.

Our idiot groups would invite a delegation over to show them a super wheat if we designed one and low and behold a few years later they have the same. Wonder we’re it came from.

So no we need the current model and survival of the fittest in wheat breeding. Or move to Russia tell me how long that company will survive. Create a super wheat in few years or die.

We’re playing Boy Scouts in a ruthless world.

The world doesn’t care about us so let’s save our farmers first and continue funding the way it is.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...