• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Preg testing??

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Preg testing??

Just curious how many preg test and which way they do it. We’ve always done the bred heifers since normally we breed a large number every year and only run bulls with them for one or two cycles. For about 10 years we’ve been using ultrasound and I think it’s fairly accurate but how does one actually ever know. The cows we’ve done every now and then but haven’t for a couple years. I question the value of doing them and am just curious what others do.

We got 80% bred in two cycles on the heifers this year and are happy with that. The cows get three cycles to get the job done since I don’t like dragging out calving any longer than it needs to be.

What does everyone else do ?

We preg check every year both heifers and cows, we only run the bulls with the heifers for 45 days and cows are 55 days. We have been doing thisfor about 5 years now and like the shorter calving season and a more uniform calf crop. They are running about 5-10 % open.

Comment

Originally posted by bullshead View Post
      We preg check every year both heifers and cows, we only run the bulls with the heifers for 45 days and cows are 55 days. We have been doing thisfor about 5 years now and like the shorter calving season and a more uniform calf crop. They are running about 5-10 % open.
      I know some guys who don’t pull bulls for four or five months. I don’t like calving that much and the weight spread on their calves is horrendous. We do 63 days on the cows so you’re even tougher on them than us (which I think is a good thing long term).

For the heifers we pick out everything we like and run the bulls for how long we think we need to get enough bred. When we do one cycle it makes calving really nice I find.

Comment

We preg checked this fall - first time since 2002. Had concerns about a lot of open cows due to the quality of pasture but in fact had less than 5%. Heifers were about 20% open which is a very poor result for us. We run bulls for under 60 days with both cows and heifers. Normally don't preg check as we always carry the cows into the new year before selling so you can soon see who is cycling. We maybe get one a year that doesn't calve in the spring that we didn't spot - probably because she wasn't cycling.
        Started preg checking with ultrasound in the early 1990s and loved it - it's a real step backwards to be manually checking nearly 30 years later. Fellow that did ours in Scotland told you the order they would calve in and was spot on - manual preg checking predicted Feb calvers that calved in May and May calvers that calved in February. A bonus of ultrasound was accurately identifying twins and feeding those cows appropriately.

Comment

I haven’t preg checked cows for a few years just peel off opens as they bull and market mid winter, usually about 5-8% open Breed cows for 60 days. Heifers are with bulls for 25 days, ultrasound checked 35 days after pulling bulls usually 45-55% bred.

Comment

Run bulls 45-50 days, preg test 45-50 days after pulling. Expect 95% bred across cows and heifers. 80% is a wreck for me.

Comment

Originally posted by 15444 View Post
              Run bulls 45-50 days, preg test 45-50 days after pulling. Expect 95% bred across cows and heifers. 80% is a wreck for me.
              You get 95% of your heifers bred in 45 days regularly?

Comment

Originally posted by woodland View Post
                You get 95% of your heifers bred in 45 days regularly?
                Pretty much. This year was only 50%, but that was due to bull going bad part way into season and didn't find out until preg check. But yeah, usually only one open in 20 or so. One operation here exposes heifers for 25 days, pulls bulls for a good month, and then puts them back in for another 25 days. They keep all the heifers bred in the first 25 days, sell the heifers bred in the 2nd round as breds and ship the opens. People really like the later bred packages within the one cycle window. If I had extra heifers, I would do the same thing.

Comment

I usually do blood testing to check mine but I just have a small herd. Most I can see when the bull is loving them up and mark them down so I know service date - due date so I don't need to verify gestation stage via ultrasound or palpation.

Didn't do any preg testing this year as they were on a rented pasture so harder to bring in for a blood draw.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...
                  X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                  You agree to our and by clicking I agree.