• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

25.6 Million for Geo Thermal Power from Feds

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That’s what the Moosejaw mineral spa is. Wouldn’t mind a spa.
    Wonder if they have looked at generating power? Might get funding🙂

Comment

Not sure if or at what depth the “Judith water system “ is, or wha5 pressure and temp.

Comment

Buddy of mine worked on the rigs dont remember exactly but it was one degree f a hundred feet.

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post

Next I will start burning my worthless durum in the grain stove.
          Jazz, have you done a careful cost accounting on burning your durum? If we complain all the time grain is so cheap, maybe we should burn more of it. Easy to handle, lots of supply, burns clean.

Geothermal provides 60% of the power on the Northern California coast. It is quite viable.
          Last edited by wd9; Jan 13, 2019, 14:52.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
            But, to be fair, most of the residential systems are very shallow loops with a very small temperature gradient, requiring pumping massive volumes of fluids to accomplish anything, whereas a deep well such as this project will have very big temperature gradients to work with, apples and oranges.
            Very good point AF5. I BELIEVE the geothermal systems buried here are just loops below the frost line. I think there are "well type" too, but I don't know how deep they go for res-geo-thermal. ...Or which system would be more efficient.

This is going to reveal my naivety...bucket suggested two more dams on the South Sask River...I "assume" the power generation would still be steam turbines? So we still need a fuel source to heat water? I wouldn't "think" there is enough flow for plain old kinetic energy(flowing water) generation?

Can someone explain it to this landlubber.

Edit in; re: Gardiner Dam..... "An integrated power generating plant, SaskPower's Coteau Creek Hydroelectric Station, produces a net 186 MW of electricity from three 62 MW generators".
            Last edited by farmaholic; Jan 13, 2019, 20:25.

Comment

Yeah instead of putting a residential geothermal loop in, it would have been more efficient to just dig a cave and move in there.

Comment

If this was going to be a moneymaker and help save the planet....why the taxpayer involvement??????

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                  So we still need a fuel source to heat water?
                  Yeah we can use durum.

Comment

There is enough potential places dams could be built or even other outside the box ideas to generate power but our crown utility seems indifferent or hostile to such ideas. They’d sooner piss with windmills and solar panels when the best bang for their buck would be hydro or buying off grid electricity sources. They are the dinosaur here.

Comment

Technically a dam like Gardiner should be able to be ramped up if the channel is widened. Looks like you could easily ramp up more water flow out of there.

Comment

What is absolutely puzzling to me is there are countries that use tides to generate power and here we sit with a river that is always flowing and they can't figure shit out....and if water is as important as they say another couple lake diefenbakers on the saskatchewan river system shouldnt be a bad thing.....unless you are an environmentalist, tree hugger , etc...

Comment

Road infrastructure and bridges would be very important. Ferries would suck. Flood nearly the whole river valley and getting across would be more awkward than an international border. Isn't Diefenbaker Lake bad enough to get around/across.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                            Road infrastructure and bridges would be very important. Ferries would suck. Flood nearly the whole river valley and getting across would be more awkward than an international border. Isn't Diefenbaker Lake bad enough to get around/across.
                            sure but you can plan for that in advance as long as you don't let RM councillors build or design bridges that fall apart after a days use.....

Comment

Gardiner Dam..... "An integrated power generating plant, SaskPower's Coteau Creek Hydroelectric Station, produces a net 186 MW of electricity from three 62 MW generators".

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
                                If this was going to be a moneymaker and help save the planet....why the taxpayer involvement??????
                                You mean like the billions for oil and gas?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...