• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nutrients in Fruits and Vegetables

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nutrients in Fruits and Vegetables

Just wondering how often Canada Ag and Food Dept. tests for nutrients such as vitamins and minerals in the various fruits and vegetables we eat mostly bought from farms thousands of miles away especially in the winter months. Information on the internet shows you a list of nutritional values for most produce but how accurate and up to date are these figures, they could be from 1973.
    One mineral that we are supposedly short of in our diet is magnesium because the soil in the root zone is depleted from years of growing vegetables. Are vegetable producers in areas like California similiar to grain farmers and just soil test for ph--n--p--s , but maybe why would you add trace minerals if you were not getting paid for it. I don't think they get paid a premium for their spinach if it has higher level of iron or potassium in it.

You got to wonder about some of those tomatoes that have no color or flavor....and a texture that doesn't resemble tomatoes.

Comment

Boron is another mineral that is depleted after exporting years of root crops. Sore aching joints? you might be lacking boron. I do like the idea of organic crops but after years of exporting nutrients without replacing them must leave the soil deficient in these important minerals. Organic farms say their crops are so healthy but will never show their soil test results.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
        You got to wonder about some of those tomatoes that have no color or flavor....and a texture that doesn't resemble tomatoes.
        If you have the opertunity to eat wild berries like raspberries and strawberry’s you will realize the new varieties aren’t developed for taste.

Comment

Originally posted by jimmy View Post
          If you have the opertunity to eat wild berries like raspberries and strawberry’s you will realize the new varieties aren’t developed for taste.
          Especially those wooden strawberries. And especially if they've been harvested before they've had much of a chance to vine ripen.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
            yea , screwed up and bought a bag from no frills "s" hole . tasted like nothing
            usually buy the ones from the cucumber man at co op , they are nearly as good as garden tomatoes .
            sure miss those heritage ones we grow in garden , ugly looking buggers , but are they ever good

Comment

The CFIA told me about 10 years ago that they don’t check imported fruit for chemical residues so I suspect they don’t test for minerals either. Just assuming.

Comment

Interesting you ask this. I was at a conference just before Christmas, and the nutrient content of fruits and vegetables vs 50 years ago when they were originally measured is way down. The researchers attributed it to continuous cropping the same soil for decades and removing the nutrients, which is pretty obvious when you think about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Taiga View Post
                  Interesting you ask this. I was at a conference just before Christmas, and the nutrient content of fruits and vegetables vs 50 years ago when they were originally measured is way down. The researchers attributed it to continuous cropping the same soil for decades and removing the nutrients, which is pretty obvious when you think about it.
                  Makes sense, but also think with modern heavy doses of fertilizer and newer varieties the plants just grow so fast and more volume and they just dont have the time and ability to draw the nutrients and build taste. Just water and fibre.

Comment

It stands to reason that when we increase only the inputs that result in increased yield(N,P,K,S,CO2, water), while continuing to mine others that may have increased quality, but have no financial payback, that we would obtain high volumes of food containing less nutrients. Much like protein in wheat, all that is required is to compensate growers for whatever qualities are desired, and we will provided it.( and maybe some research into what is lacking to start with).

Comment

Food is fabricated soil fertility

https://robbwolf.com/2011/05/06/the-illusion-of-nutrient-dense-food/

http://www.bionutrient.org/site/news/nutrient-dense-crops

This is one of the main reasons we will be getting rid of glyphosate.

Comment

https://detoxproject.org/glyphosate/glyphosate-chelating-agent/

Comment

Originally posted by sumdumguy View Post
                          The CFIA told me about 10 years ago that they don’t check imported fruit for chemical residues so I suspect they don’t test for minerals either. Just assuming.
                          Spend all their ****ing time testing everything we grow and do instead

Comment

Austranada, can you explain this paradox. If the problem is mining the soil of nutrients, how is a system which places arbitrary restrictions on replacing nutrients (or at least makes it much more difficult and expensive) going to improve the situation?

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
                              Austranada, can you explain this paradox. If the problem is mining the soil of nutrients, how is a system which places arbitrary restrictions on replacing nutrients (or at least makes it much more difficult and expensive) going to improve the situation?
                              Its glyphosate... Haven't you gotten the memo?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.