• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Horsepower for Super-B

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Horsepower for Super-B

I am thinking of upgrading from my single axle. I have approximately 1500 tonnes per year that goes between 3 and 16 miles one way and I have been using custom trucking for most if it.
    I plan on splitting the trailers at harvest in field to bin and pulling both trailers from bin to elevator in the winter. No bad hills and its actually a downhill grade loaded for the farthest 8 miles.
    How much power do I actually need? I will be sitting in line longer than I am driving and only 4 miles have a 100 km speed limit the rest is 80 km and down.

Thanks

If you're not looking to set land speed records, lots of guys pulled them with 400 cummins's and 425 cats when they first came out. Just make sure you have the gears and rear ends to make it work.

As far as harvest, pup works good as a stand alone trailer provided the pin depth is close to the same as the lead. Lead on the other hand, is nearly impossible to get enough weight on the tridem.

Comment

Originally posted by helmsdale View Post
      Lead on the other hand, is nearly impossible to get enough weight on the tridem.
      Yes and very easy to get too much on the drivers.

For field use think steel. Paint takes a beating over the years but they are tougher. Tight approaches.
      450 minimum. DD 14 liter or more would be a good choice

Comment

I’d be more concerned about locking diffs than hp. We ran ours with a 425 Cat and it wasn’t as nice as the 500 Detroit but if it’s snowy or muddy the truck with the 3way lockers was preferable. Also check how high the truck fifth wheel is mounted as you’ll like a higher one for unloading in the yard. Our Pete is low and a pain to get the swing auger under.

What about a tri axel instead? Easier to get a swing auger underneath (longer wheelbase) and less tires to maintain? We run a 34’ tandem end dump currently after selling our rusted out super b this year and like dumping 25 T without moving the auger and use at seeding time and for hauling silage as well. I'd really like to get a tri drive truck which would be great on our equipment trailer and a tri axel hopper bottom.

Have fun shopping 😉

P.S. I’m jealous of your hauls. Ours gets hauled further than that to come home and the closest elevator is 80km away.

Comment

Forgot to mention to the capital cost allowance rules have been changed as of November and not sure how many folks are aware it. For your first year of ownership you can claim 1.5 times the normal depreciation rate. Trucks would now be 45% and trailers 30% for the first year which is significantly better than it was.

Comment

Originally posted by woodland View Post
            Forgot to mention to the capital cost allowance rules have been changed as of November and not sure how many folks are aware it. For your first year of ownership you can claim 1.5 times the normal depreciation rate. Trucks would now be 45% and trailers 30% for the first year which is significantly better than it was.
            Only if you need it! I may opt for the regular schedule, if you're corporate and not over the minimum tax bracket what's the difference if you depreciate it later as opposed to a bigger chunk up front? Self "stabalization". On a personal tax basis it might make way more sense to take advantage of the opportunity. But then there's less depreciation for following years. Weigh it out.

Comment

Just write it off! Poof!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEL65gywwHQ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEL65gywwHQ

Comment

Originally posted by farming101 View Post
                Just write it off! Poof!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEL65gywwHQ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEL65gywwHQ
                So my explanation was a write off? Your 20 seconds are gone for ever, FOR EVER!

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                  Only if you need it! I may opt for the regular schedule, if you're corporate and not over the minimum tax bracket what's the difference if you depreciate it later as opposed to a bigger chunk up front? Self "stabalization". On a personal tax basis it might make way more sense to take advantage of the opportunity. But then there's less depreciation for following years. Weigh it out.
                  Farma, that’s a good strategy. You can always take the full cca and just optional inventory up to get to the same point or forward tax plan. Had the same discussion with my accountant a few weeks ago.

Unless you plan on quitting farming in the next few years you would just take the rates available to you. My accountant feels thisn is just a good way to curb people’s decisions to lease equipment. most calidon and national leases are more or less tax fraud since the buyout is not market value this almost eliminates their scam opportunity.

And buy the way, most class 10 leases have no advantage over capital cost in the first place, only advantage is the salesperson and the leasing company with 5-7% interest rates.

As far as the topic, consider the tridem but agree its all about gearing for the truck. If you don’t have many hills, a 400 hp will handle it

Comment

We pulled super-Bs with 425 hp and was ok.

For short hauls like that tridem works good.

We had super-b for years and had tridem and super b for while then got rid of super b and just have tridems now.

Use a lot less fuel , way easier to get around in the snow with a tridem , insurance cost a lot less for tridem.

When we were doing short hauls with both tridem and super b most days we would get extra load in with tridem as they load and unload faster. Got as much or more bushels Hauled in most days with tridem if not big line ups.

When trucking from field to yard and not on Highways can load 40+ tonnes easy and it pulls like nothing.

Nice with air drill too if you have 3 hopper tridem

Can put seed in one hopper , and 2 different types of fertilizer in other hoppers.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                      So my explanation was a write off? Your 20 seconds are gone for ever, FOR EVER!
                      Tax planning is serious business.
                      Your point and Richards were valuable.
                      Flip side is keeping income current is valuable too, especially when it is tax efficient. I will pocket my tax paid capital expense now rather than down the road.

Comment

When you're buying a truck why limit yourself to, "only" hauling to the same old place. The right truck/trailer opens up new possibilities.

That said, even for the hauling you describe I'd go with nothing less than 475 hp. Transmission (the other critical ingredient) should be an 18 speed for those low end pulls off soft fields when needed.

Most trucks with 46,000 rears needed for super B would have something akin to what is suitable.

Comment

I agree with Braveheart..18sd....46000 with quadloc is the only way to go on s-bee...
                          Good tridem really beats s-bee.
                          For Tridem...We installed a posi loc ourselves in back diff on 40,000 $2500...[with a c12 anyone can fix-]400hp ... so with nice light older/under 20k$short day truck... that only weighs 14,000lbs... with good tridem... hauls 33t legal...
                          really Handy to dump in yard with the longer frame bridge on trailer/tridem... under 50mi... can't be better...
                          Originally posted by Braveheart View Post
                          When you're buying a truck why limit yourself to, "only" hauling to the same old place. The right truck/trailer opens up new possibilities.

That said, even for the hauling you describe I'd go with nothing less than 475 hp. Transmission (the other critical ingredient) should be an 18 speed for those low end pulls off soft fields when needed.

Most trucks with 46,000 rears needed for super B would have something akin to what is suitable.
                          Last edited by TOM4CWB; Jan 2, 2019, 10:04.

Comment

I agree w Braveheart. Get 46 tears, full lockers, 18sp. A 500 hp min.
                            I’ve had Supers since 2000. Never split them in harvest-with the proper unload auger, fast and easy to unload. One neighbor that used to split them kinked the lead tryin to fill it and haul like that. They are not engineered to be overloaded on hopper 1 and 2 and not have the counterbalance of pup trailer.
                            We had a tridem too for a while. Didn’t like it-needs a longer corner, massive long tarp like a sail on windy days, and fuel use was indistinguishable from the B train. While hauling 12 T less.
                            My latest set are full aluminum and like them the best. Expensive trailers but get what you pay for IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Quadtrack View Post
                              I agree w Braveheart. Get 46 tears, full lockers, 18sp. A 500 hp min.
                              I’ve had Supers since 2000. Never split them in harvest-with the proper unload auger, fast and easy to unload. One neighbor that used to split them kinked the lead tryin to fill it and haul like that. They are not engineered to be overloaded on hopper 1 and 2 and not have the counterbalance of pup trailer.
                              We had a tridem too for a while. Didn’t like it-needs a longer corner, massive long tarp like a sail on windy days, and fuel use was indistinguishable from the B train. While hauling 12 T less.
                              My latest set are full aluminum and like them the best. Expensive trailers but get what you pay for IMO.
                              Which breed of aluminum?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...