• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thoughts about glyphosate

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thoughts about glyphosate

Seems like the writing is on the wall for pre harvest use of glyphosate. So now what..... go back to the swather? Hope not but might have to. I may sound like a conspiracy theorist but I believe there is no issue with pre harvest use of glyphosate as long as you follow the label. I think this whole issue with it was fabricated to allow Monsanto to regain control of the market share on pre harvest herbicide. Why you ask well its simple...... money! Since the patent came off glyphosate it is cheap and Monsanto isn't selling much Roundup cause lots of other generic available at lower cost. I believe they orchestrated all of this to have glyphosate banned from pre harvest use. They did this cause they have its replacement all ready to go to market. All of us farmers have geared our operations to rely on pre harvest use of glyphosate and will continue that trend if possible. However, instead of a low-cost product like glyphosate it will be on a much higher priced patent protected alternative that will make Monsanto a killing.
    Ban glyphosate and give it a couple years with no other option, and watch the farmers struggle at harvest. Then introduce the new and improved product that is safer than baby powder but is $20.00/ac instead of $4.00/ac. The farmers will bitch and complain but hey they all got sprayers and the cost to swath and associated problems that creates makes a $20.00/ac solution to those headaches seem palatable.

Originally posted by cuban_assassin View Post
    Seems like the writing is on the wall for pre harvest use of glyphosate. So now what..... go back to the swather? Hope not but might have to. I may sound like a conspiracy theorist but I believe there is no issue with pre harvest use of glyphosate as long as you follow the label. I think this whole issue with it was fabricated to allow Monsanto to regain control of the market share on pre harvest herbicide. Why you ask well its simple...... money! Since the patent came off glyphosate it is cheap and Monsanto isn't selling much Roundup cause lots of other generic available at lower cost. I believe they orchestrated all of this to have glyphosate banned from pre harvest use. They did this cause they have its replacement all ready to go to market. All of us farmers have geared our operations to rely on pre harvest use of glyphosate and will continue that trend if possible. However, instead of a low-cost product like glyphosate it will be on a much higher priced patent protected alternative that will make Monsanto a killing.
    Ban glyphosate and give it a couple years with no other option, and watch the farmers struggle at harvest. Then introduce the new and improved product that is safer than baby powder but is $20.00/ac instead of $4.00/ac. The farmers will bitch and complain but hey they all got sprayers and the cost to swath and associated problems that creates makes a $20.00/ac solution to those headaches seem palatable.
    You may very well be correct, a lot of “new” things come from mergers ....
    anyone get a price on Facet L ????
    Clever was priced at $5/ac ...... but was banned to be used ... you know the big list of b/S excuses that were used . There never was an issue ...

Comment

rep here was going on about new product , facet
      what a joke

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
        rep here was going on about new product , facet
        what a joke
        It’s been out for 15 years ..... but now the same exact product will cost farmers guess what .... more money 💰

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
          It’s been out for 15 years ..... but now the same exact product will cost farmers guess what .... more money 💰
          is clever still available ? is it ok for mrls ?

Comment

is clever still available ? is it ok for mrls ?
            Should be , is it not the exact same chemistry ???

Comment

The problem with preharvest is people not following the label....spraying to early and if one liter works two will be better. I know this theory is used by many people I know. I quit using RU pre harvest because it’s much easier marketing my grain and I DONT want to lose it for pre seed and post harvest. I have a swather and have no problem using it if need be.

Comment

Originally posted by jimmy View Post
                The problem with preharvest is people not following the label....spraying to early and if one liter works two will be better. I know this theory is used by many people I know. I quit using RU pre harvest because it’s much easier marketing my grain and I DONT want to lose it for pre seed and post harvest. I have a swather and have no problem using it if need be.
                jimmy , I bet you don't farm in ne sask or any other marginal area
                lots of sad swathing stories around here this year

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
                  Should be , is it not the exact same chemistry ???
                  It’s quinclorac. Exact same as Facet, except BASF is using a liquid formulation and saying it is better. It is not. Clever DF is very easy to mix and use, and store.
                  This is quite an old product really and used on a number of crops worldwide. Rice in particular for control of barnyard grass.
                  Residue from its use on canola is often non detectable so the largest reason it has been held off the market for this crop was that BASF controlled it in Canada, and they wanted to sell the clear field system for much higher profit margin.
                  Quinclorac is very effective for cleaver control; it would not have become available if Great Northern Growers didn’t aggressively pursue its registration and then push for MRL adoption most recently in China.

Comment

Originally posted by jimmy View Post
                    There is some level of illegal application going on-either too early or more than a litre-that I agree.
                    Most farmers try their best to do things legally tho.
                    I think it is naive to believe we can save other use patterns by giving up the pre-harvest use. A lot/most of the opposition to glyphosate is based on misinformation, a public perception that it is harmful when no evidence to support that, and a general historical hate for Monsanto. The real forces behind this won’t rest til glyphosate is off the market. Then, or possibly sooner, other products become the focus for the same fate. All pre-Harvest products leave a residue, and some are arguably more ‘dangerous ‘ than glyphosate.
                    Somehow, we have to be sure the regulators (PMRA in our case) maintains a science based risk assessment process; otherwise, most of the tools we have will get stripped away. Good luck meeting the libs 75 billion in exports if technology we are allowed to use features that which was used 60 years ago.

Comment

jimmy , I bet you don't farm in ne sask or any other marginal area
                      lots of sad swathing stories around here this year
                      Especially if you farm beside a large body of water with hungry ducks and geese.

Comment

No I farm in the opposite corner...it’s no where close to NE problems be we do get our fare share of rain fog and snow during harvest. We now swath some of our cereals that are coming in uneven and usually water fowl leave the early stuff alone as they are feasting on the northern crops still.
                        Yes and as far as making environmentalists happy it isn’t possible as you give in on one thing and tomorrow they want something else. Just saying many of my buyers ask or make me sign a contract saying I didn’t use pre harvest spray on most of my cash crops. So trying to go without. If I loose glyphosate for preseed or post harvest everything will be seeded back to grass and fenced in with deer fence. Maybe raise pheasants lol. Food is just a thing we need to do Sport or recreation is something people have to do and they enjoy paying for it even when it’s unaffordable.
                        Last edited by jimmy; Dec 17, 2018, 15:44.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                        • Return to Topic List
                        Working...