• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you guys make of this?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
    It may be entirely marketing by scare tactics and conspiracy theories, but our consumers believe it. This battle has already been lost. Science isn't going to win this debate. We need to protect glyphosate as a preseeding or post harvest tool, by eliminating its use in any application where it can result in residues. If not, we risk losing it entirely, regardless of what common sense or science might say.
    I suggest that the majority of people posting on this topic read your post 3 times. You are absolutely correct. Science has nothing to do with it. The battle was lost long ago. Be pragmatic and don't use it as a preharvest, there are other products that aren't on the radar on social media.

Comment

We overlook the dose when we hear poison or chemical. Heard the same way these days.
      I remember Korean exchange students who skinned every piece of fruit they touched or they wouldn't eat it.
      Hard to explain to a consumer why a sprayer going just before harvest. So we will see limits or bans placed on an essential tool with no replacement.
      Don Huber's work regarding micros and glyphosate, tossed together in a tin foil hat, boiled with a poor image and voila!
      Shit sandwich.

Comment

Okay. Vape pens. Kids now can take the equivalent of a cigarette nicotine in one hit off a vape pen. Which can be as easily filled with THC. Omg the bogeyman weed. Why the **** are we getting all bent out of shape about tiny residues of glyphosate? You can almost drink the stuff full strength. It's salt. I am not going to go through the math again but I did in a prior post about the ****ing miniscule amounts of glyphosate you might get from a loaf of bread.

I'm a millionaire. Almost every farmer reading this site is as well. I'd rather be running a surf shop on a beach in maybe not Mexico now but I'd do great in Cuba. Push us. We'll leave and **** all you tree ****ing huggers.

Comment

Originally posted by Tucker View Post
          Okay. Vape pens. Kids now can take the equivalent of a cigarette nicotine in one hit off a vape pen. Which can be as easily filled with THC. Omg the bogeyman weed. Why the **** are we getting all bent out of shape about tiny residues of glyphosate? You can almost drink the stuff full strength. It's salt. I am not going to go through the math again but I did in a prior post about the ****ing miniscule amounts of glyphosate you might get from a loaf of bread.

I'm a millionaire. Almost every farmer reading this site is as well. I'd rather be running a surf shop on a beach in maybe not Mexico now but I'd do great in Cuba. Push us. We'll leave and **** all you tree ****ing huggers.

Tucker, I have a restaurant in Cuba - hell of a deal.

Comment

Originally posted by pourfarmer View Post
            My fruit? I'm a grain farmer
            Read between the bloody lines. I assume he means the raw fruit and vegetables people are buying and consuming. "Chemicals and poisons" applied on these tender skinned and fleshy little "healthy" alternatives at every stage of development. Wash them to your heart's content, you won't wash off what's been absorbed either.

Enjoy your chemical romance, no escaping it, you're surrounded by it in every aspect of your life....unless you are living in the stone-age in a cave. Even your house is killing you!

You are living in a synthetic world whether you want to or not!!! You can't escape and are doomed.

You can escape it by "leaving early" and taking all the brainwashed cult members with you, Kool-aid anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
              Read between the bloody lines. I assume he means the raw fruit and vegetables people are buying and consuming. "Chemicals and poisons" applied on these tender skinned and fleshy little "healthy" alternatives at every stage of development. Wash them to your heart's content, you won't wash off what's been absorbed either.

Enjoy your chemical romance, no escaping it, you're surrounded by it in every aspect of your life....unless you are living in the stone-age in a cave. Even your house is killing you!

You are living in a synthetic world whether you want to or not!!! You can't escape and are doomed.

You can escape it by "leaving early" and taking all the brainwashed cult members with you, Kool-aid anyone?
              It's true, 96 percent of babies are born with teflon compounds in their blood stream.

Comment

Yes unfortunately the consumer is always right, perception, fear, doubt...and they vote with their wallets too. 40 years ago I took a chem applicators class, instructor said what I believe best sums it all up, Dilute, dilute dilute and any poison is less deadly. That is all we do, No Chems are totally benign.

Comment

What I gathered so far;

The science is wrong. Roundup does NOT destroy gut bacteria that help us break down food into the chemicals our bodies require.

Chinese and Indian grown foods are not safe. (?)

Buy a 2nd sprayer, claims aren't proven, double up rate. (lol)

Chemical companies aren't honest, says poison right on the label.

Vape pens and weed are worse (?) if we can no longer spray roundup in crop or preharvest, farmers will leave the country which will results in mass famine.

Our environment is synthetic unless we live in a cave/stone age, because of this, the current way we use roundup is not a problem.

Because it is so heavily diluted, 540g per litre active and 10-15g per acre total applied, that is safe to ingest multiple times per day.

edit: There are only 1 way to grow food so future generations can eat, and it is the chemically dependant zero till model. Heavy tillage is required every time glyphosate is not used, depleting the topsoil via erosion.

Hope I didn't miss anything.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to express their critical thoughts.

Science is learning new things everyday, about the way our bodies work, soils work, and what 30 years of glyphosate usage has done to 'normal, non synthetic functions' of those systems. And the signs are not in favour of continued glyphosate use. Maybe now is a good time to start looking for that surf shop Tucker.
                  Last edited by pourfarmer; Dec 13, 2018, 11:20.

Comment

What I gathered so far;

The science is wrong. Roundup does NOT destroy gut bacteria that help us break down food into the chemicals our bodies require.
                    Chinese and Indian grown foods are not safe. (?)

Buy a 2nd sprayer, claims aren't proven, double up rate. (lol)

Chemical companies aren't honest, says poison right on the label.

Vape pens and weed are worse (?) if we can no longer spray roundup in crop or preharvest, farmers will leave the country which will results in mass famine.

Our environment is synthetic unless we live in a cave/stone age, because of this, the current way we use roundup is not a problem.

Because it is so heavily diluted, 540g per litre active and 10-15g per acre total applied, that is safe to ingest multiple times per day.

Hope I didn't miss anything.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to express their critical thoughts.

Science is learning new things everyday, about the way our bodies work, soils work, and what 30 years of glyphosate usage has done to 'normal, non synthetic functions' of those systems. And the signs are not in favour of continued glyphosate use. Maybe now is a good time to start looking for that surf shop Tucker.
                    Yes, you missed the fact that glyphosate Has one extremely vital use For conserving our precious topsoil So future generations can still eat. Barren subsoil won't grow much with or without chemicals. Let's pretend that a hypothetical study finds that play ***** is lowering average human life expectancy by one year. While simultaneously extending the productive life of our soils by centuries. Which is the lesser of the two evils? The brook soils, the erosion of civilizations needs to be mandatory reading for all. In many areas of the world, full tillage Can and has completely destroyed the productivity of soils in a matter of decades or less.

Let's stick with addressing the Multiple uses of this chemical Independently of each other. Painting pre-seed, and pre Harvest with the same brush is Going to result in losing use of it for both purposes

Comment

Yes, you missed the fact that glyphosate Has one extremely vital use For conserving our precious topsoil So future generations can still eat. Barren subsoil won't grow much with or without chemicals. Let's pretend that a hypothetical study finds that play ***** is lowering average human life expectancy by one year. While simultaneously extending the productive life of our soils by centuries. Which is the lesser of the two evils? The brook soils, the erosion of civilizations needs to be mandatory reading for all. In many areas of the world, full tillage Can and has completely destroyed the productivity of soils in a matter of decades or less.

Let's stick with addressing the Multiple uses of this chemical Independently of each other. Painting pre-seed, and pre Harvest with the same brush is Going to result in losing use of it for both purposes

Sorry, I will edit my post and add:

There are only 1 way to grow food so future generations can eat, and it is the chemically dependant zero till model. Heavy tillage is required every time glyphosate is not used, depleting the topsoil via erosion.

In your opinion, is this constant in all growing areas?

Comment

Sorry, I will edit my post and add:

There are only 1 way to grow food so future generations can eat, and it is the chemically dependant zero till model. Heavy tillage is required every time glyphosate is not used, depleting the topsoil via erosion.

In your opinion, is this constant in all growing areas?
                        No, read the book, it lists the three areas of the world That are the exception. The prairies of western Canada are not amongst them.

So I assume you must be one of the organic no till farmers that Austranada Was telling us about? Please share your secrets, I quite seriously will switch over immediately If you tell me how to do it.
                        Last edited by AlbertaFarmer5; Dec 13, 2018, 11:46.

Comment

My fruit? I'm a grain farmer
                          I am too
                          But i eat fruit and suspect you do too
                          Why dont they go after that for a while ?
                          They are spraying real chems on prior to packaging
                          But thats ok i guess

Comment

No, read the book, it lists the three areas of the world That are the exception. The prairies of western Canada are not amongst them.

So I assume you must be one of the organic no till farmers that Austranada Was telling us about? Please share your secrets, I quite seriously will switch over immediately If you tell me how to do it.
                            I will try and find the time to read the book you suggest, perhaps over the holidays. But I will say the prairies of western Canada change quite significantly from the arid Palliser triangle up to the rain soaked peaty loam in Melfort/Nipawin area down to the heavy clay loam in the red river basin. Ask any Red River farmer if zero till works there, same goes for 'up north'. I am sure we have guys on here that farm in those areas that may be able to shed some light.

No not at all, although I am working to reduce tillage. I am located in the northern plains, in a high rain fall area with limited above zero days. Tillage is done here by both conventional and organic farmers, in order to warm the soil up in the spring and to dry it out. Zero till has been tried here, with limited success. If the climate changes, it may work here.

Despite regular tillage, I have seen an increase in my OM since transitioning to organic. My biological life is up substantially and recovers well after tillage. I have seen very little erosion from run off, and zero from wind. I make use of biological amendments similar to ecotea (home brewed), cover crop plow downs, humate, composted cow manure. The weeds persist but are getting better every year as the soils biological components being to balance. Perennial weeds such as thistle are in check, but I am still fighting things like mustard, lambs quarter, millet, small surface growing weeds. I am making money, the farm is growing and my family is happy.

I have no secrets. I wont BS you, it was a struggle to get to this point from our conventional farm. The first 3 years were awful, I regretted every decision we made. I laid awake at night worried I would lose a 3rd generation farm. My farming friends disowned me, they could not be associated with a tree hugging hippy. Things did not get better until the first field we transitioned grew more organic wheat per acre then we ever got off it conventionally. And then the next year, everyone had high fuz and we had none. Then I had people assume I am spraying because our crops are relatively weed free. Little by little things got better, and here we are.

There are guys doing no till organic in the mid west and around that palliser triangle area. They are doing amazing things and rival any conventional yield. I am a bit salty that it does not work here as I feel it would eliminate a lot of the challenges I am facing with the surface growing weeds.

Best of luck with whatever you do, if I can help you in anyway please feel free to reach out.

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
                              I am too
                              But i eat fruit and suspect you do too
                              Why dont they go after that for a while ?
                              They are spraying real chems on prior to packaging
                              But thats ok i guess
                              To be open, I knew what you meant. I wanted clarify I have no control or complacency with the current fruit production system.

I try and strive for local fruit when possible. My wife can's quite a bit of our own stuff, and we will buy a case or two of BC peaches when the truck comes.

But no, I agree with you. Synthetic chem applied directly before consumption is not ideal.

I stand with you in condemning the use of fresh fruit stabilisers, a worthy plight in my opinion. If consumers only knew....

Comment

A mix of systems should be fine too when they work. Open mind.

A good start would be getting rid of fixed land costs of $100/ac/ year on owned and rented.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...