• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seed Synergy... what does our Canadian seed system.. need to do?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seed Synergy... what does our Canadian seed system.. need to do?

Upon reflection... a few thoughts for discussion;

1. we Do have a heritage of sharing and caring for Seed provision to Canadian grain farming. The 700 member owners of Secan... which is a non-profit seed group... that has unrestricted membership by any Canadian farmer who needs clear transparent access to quality seeds.... is a good start to assure we move in a direction that seeks a profitable outcome for all Canadian commercial farmers... who grow grain especially in Western Canada.

2. There are approximately 3500 seed [farmer]growers [CSGA members yearly registering] ...in Canada... the vast number of which desire a competitive efficient transparent Canadian seed system that produces best quality grain for global endusers who must provide high quality food tor a world that demands safe, nutritious food.
    3. We need to focus on... growing our strong assets... and be better equipped to provide future farmers better seeds for higher quality nutritious foods... that consumers need.
    Cheers!

Originally posted by TOM4CWB View Post
    Upon reflection... a few thoughts for discussion;

1. we Do have a heritage of sharing and caring for Seed provision to Canadian grain farming. The 700 member owners of Secan... which is a non-profit seed group... that has unrestricted membership by any Canadian farmer who needs clear transparent access to quality seeds.... is a good start to assure we move in a direction that seeks a profitable outcome for all Canadian commercial farmers... who grow grain especially in Western Canada.

2. There are approximately 3500 seed [farmer]growers [CSGA members yearly registering] ...in Canada... the vast number of which desire a competitive efficient transparent Canadian seed system that produces best quality grain for global endusers who must provide high quality food tor a world that demands safe, nutritious food.
    3. We need to focus on... growing our strong assets... and be better equipped to provide future farmers better seeds for higher quality nutritious foods... that consumers need.
    Cheers!
    Sounds all warm and fuzzy , but not one mention of how all that results in nothing but increase costs passed onto to primary producer.
    #4 should be ... to ensure the value of the increased seed costs are also reflected in maximizing primary producers returns to cover the extra seed costs.
    I get where your coming from Tom , if I had a seed farm I would be this issue looks totally different.
    But a lot of good posts have been made by westernvickie, yourself and others .
    But not a word has been uttered of how these increased cost will effect the primary producers...... where are the premiums that primary producers can get from end markets for all this expensive super seed or extra royalties?
    This seems to be a one way street that the primary producer is going to be left out and not only that left to pay for the maintenance.....
    Show us as primary producers how we will benefit from actually producing all this high quality, safe and nutritious food .
    It just as of yet , not one mention of how we will benefit from this higher demand for seed cost . Unless I missed it somewhere ?

Comment

Interesting how every inputs company - seed growers included - are so publicly interested in the farmers profitability, but in reality is only marketing speak to ensure they can squeak out every dollar possible from farmers.

Comment

Cheers!
        At least you are honest, you want to make more money for yourself.

If the seed company's actually came up with an innovative and truly profitable product, farmers would buy it. You have all the legislation in place to ensure you receive return on your investment thru PBR, EULA's, UPOV - ever heard of HT canola? But wheat hasn't changed much in 30 years, so instead you just want to extort money from farmers so you can use their money to innovate instead of investing your own.
        Last edited by wd9; Dec 9, 2018, 12:01.

Comment

I guess what bothers most of us is that this is a forgone conclusion.... same as carbon tax .... we are going to pay more for zero outcome for our bottom line..... hence our already low net returns as commercial crop producers will just get squeezed into losses.
          tough pill to swallow when most here have been trying to grow crops on less than 5 in rain over the past 3-4 years and have early frost damage nearly every year from this 🤬 global warming. Some areas far worse off than here . Not to mention the losses incurred this fall for most in The northern half of the prairies after 4 snow falls , rain and heavy frosts .
          All these extra costs are fine if your growing 90 bus HRSW or 75 bus canola ... that’s not a reality for the majority of us , strictly due to our growing climates.
          I have no issue paying a seed royalty or new cereal seed every year if there is a net proven benefit to my farms bottom line , every year . I think most commercial grain farms would agree . But the fact this again is being forced on us no different than carbon tax .... that’s the problem no one seems to grasp that makes these policies. They seem to just believe there are still lots of cookies left in the jar and it’s their right to take them .
          Well that’s not the case anymore .....

Comment

So SeCan is a not for profit SeedCo? Can the same be said of its members?

Judas...

Comment

Tom (wolf in sheep's clothing) 4cwb

Why talk about nutritious food as the basis of the benefits of royalties while there are millions starving in the world......and bins full of grain waiting to be sold at profitable levels....as if a royalty will make us more profitable..

Comment

Status quo is sufficient for varieties and many new varieties are already being introduced for next year.
                Primary producers aren’t asking for an ADDITIONAL seed tax to subsidize plant breeders and the seed industry.

There is a bigger need for an infrastructure update in railways, ports, vessels, etc to move our grain....this would actually help our net income.

Comment

Originally posted by Oliver88 View Post
                  Status quo is sufficient for varieties and many new varieties are already being introduced for next year.
                  Primary producers aren’t asking for an ADDITIONAL seed tax to subsidize plant breeders and the seed industry.

There is a bigger need for an infrastructure update in railways, ports, vessels, etc to move our grain....this would actually help our net income.
                  Government guy said the government threw 300 million at the port infrastructure on the west coast so I asked why the royalty money couldn't come from the same source as well....

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
                    Government guy said the government threw 300 million at the port infrastructure on the west coast so I asked why the royalty money couldn't come from the same source as well....
                    Exactly.

If the seed industry wants a handout or subsidy they should go directly to the guys who have no problem running $20 billion deficits.....not primary producers.

Comment

Realistically... we all need future seed innovation that works to reduce risk, and provides qualities our enduse/consumers find value in Canadian grain products. 100% of Secan's royalties... as I said earlier... go into plant breeding and the infrastructure to support seed varieties. No royalty money goes into Secan members bank accounts... Secan members only pay into varietal development... passion to provide high quality seed... is the foundation and key to a sustainable commercial grain sector in Canada. We are small by world standards... Dr Dean Spanner said it well... that one province ... in China...he presented to... produces more grain than all of western Canada.

If we do not work together... build on our Canadian strengths of cooperation and build stronger value for our grain sector... we are choosing to be less than our future grain farming generations deserve.
                      Merry Christmas! Cheers!!

Originally posted by Oliver88 View Post
                      Exactly.

If the seed industry wants a handout or subsidy they should go directly to the guys who have no problem running $20 billion deficits.....not primary producers.

Comment

We all work together, invest in plant breeding varieties which are quickly exported globally by the CSGA

So they take my money, my investment and then just as quickly as I have access to the variety competitors in other countries with lower costs of production get to compete against my with our cost sensitive customers.

Show me how this investment will be a strategic and competitive advantage for my investment.

Information transfer, freight and logistics have never been cheaper, faster or easier.

Case in point, many of these new varieties are sent to other growing regions around the world for a quicker seed increase, where volume can be generated for wide release.

Comment

.......If we do not work together... build on our Canadian strengths of cooperation and build stronger value for our grain sector... we are choosing to be less than our future grain farming generations deserve.
                          Merry Christmas! Cheers!!
                          Excuse me while I throw up - all "working together" and "cooperating for a greater good" does not reflect the reality of the current situation. It's a parasitic arrangement at best in much of Canadian agriculture and the parasites are in danger of killing the host. You're just getting too greedy - even if you are only a pimp for Big Seed.

Comment

Originally posted by grassfarmer View Post
                            Excuse me while I throw up - all "working together" and "cooperating for a greater good" does not reflect the reality of the current situation. It's a parasitic arrangement at best in much of Canadian agriculture and the parasites are in danger of killing the host. You're just getting too greedy - even if you are only a pimp for Big Seed.
                            Sounds like your buddy Tom4himself is growing seed only out of the goodness of his heart and his charitable work/donation to his fellow farmer.

Ask him if he will sell you some seed at "market" price plus the royalties he normally has to submit.....nothing else in it for him over and above generic market values?

Preying on a Sunday!

Comment

Thank you grassfarmer for being so polite. ....

I would have had to censor my post after throwing up...

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...