• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New seed royalties

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New seed royalties

Are we going to allow the seed synergy group to steam roll us? Where are our producer groups on this issue? not hearing much out of them.

I can't figure out why seed companies think they should get special treatment from the government. Seems like they want a legislated system to collect payments from farmers. What ever happened to the free market? There is absolutely nothing stopping a seed company from requiring royalty payments on saved seed with a contract or requiring that new seed be purchased every as is the case in Canola and Soybeans.

This BS would be like farmers demanding a checkoff from grain companies to fund research for our farms with the idea that grain companies need to support our R and D in order for us farmers to supply them with quality grain.

I am happy to pay for good wheat varieties but show me the goods first.

The one thing that bothers me at the saskatoon meeting is the number of seed growers....they have had their say with the government...thats how we got to this point....10 years in the making....6 hours for a stacked audience....

One representative from the CSGA was all that should have been permitted...

It was suppose to be a farmers meeting....non associated farmers meeting..

They did ask for more consultation but i don't think thats going to happen....

Comment

Maybe farmers should be paid to put these new varieties on their farm as an endorsement deal...

Do you see any athletes endorsing anything without renumeration for that endorsement????

I ran that idea by a government guy at the table....he laughed but understood what I was saying.

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
        Maybe farmers should be paid to put these new varieties on their farm as an endorsement deal...

Do you see any athletes endorsing anything without renumeration for that endorsement????

I ran that idea by a government guy at the table....he laughed but understood what I was saying.
        Can you explain when the breeder starts to sell seed and to whom? I don't understand the financials of the seed system.

Comment

All I heard or tuned into was companies like the CDC or LImagrain need more money to do what they do...

But no one wanted to address the infrastructure issue that created but higher volumes of grain...

Sort of stupid here but how do you collect end point royalties without physically selling your grain...

Maybe the breeders or seed companies should invest in options....lmao.

Comment

Gotta love the guy who let's SeedCos put up signs for free in front of their ego stroking, bin busting crops along well travelled grids or highways....

Jeff Foxworthy..."Here's your sign".....

Have to admit I think that is kind of priceless!!!

Comment

From what I understand, a breeder like CDC sells the rights to a new variety to a multiplier like Secan or Canterra who collects a royalty every time the seed is transacted. Seed is multiplied several generations from breeder plots all the way to certified. Checkoff money is invested at the breeder level so they will work to turn out more varieties to sell to seed multipliers. This present system has resulted in a proliferation of varieties so there seems not to be shortage of available funding. Seed breeders are generally highly compensated individuals who pay lots of income taxes to government (many are staff at universities) as well as generate taxes for government which is why government likes the sector.

Comment

What this is leading to is telling someone more about your operation...

In order to receive the royalties , the farmer will have to report the varieties to the end point sale...

And the other problem is what if the graincos have their own varieties that cn be delivered to their points...

The one guy at the table said find another point ....that increases my costs...I could feel my face turning red....they think another 30 miles to the next point is **** all ...its an extra hour minimum...

Comment

There are lots of varieties released every year for each class.

I think the new varieties for each class should be limited to......2, yes two. Maybe even one?

This would creat competitiveness and competition in the Seed industry. Proven, consistent, quality yields could be brought forward with less Dudds, or marginal improvements over the standard. Then growers will easily and quickly judge. The seed growers can collectively grow winners with no lost productivity or profitability.

For every reason why this won’t work I’ll counter with why it would.

Comment

Originally posted by Rareearth View Post
                    There are lots of varieties released every year for each class.

I think the new varieties for each class should be limited to......2, yes two. Maybe even one?

This would creat competitiveness and competition in the Seed industry. Proven, consistent, quality yields could be brought forward with less Dudds, or marginal improvements over the standard. Then growers will easily and quickly judge. The seed growers can collectively grow winners with no lost productivity or profitability.

For every reason why this won’t work I’ll counter with why it would.
                    When you look at back a few years there was always one or two varieties that were the mainstay for a class like CWRS...

AC barrie was very popular for years then something replaced it...

Not sure how it helps to have 40 different varieties for CWRS when the end users are looking for consistency...

Look at maltsters ...they don't want 5 different varieties of barley to make consistent beer...do they???

You are right rareearth whats with so many varieties ...maybe they could cut their costs by fewer...

Seems no one is buying to clean the bins out anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
                      When you look at back a few years there was always one or two varieties that were the mainstay for a class like CWRS...

AC barrie was very popular for years then something replaced it...

Not sure how it helps to have 40 different varieties for CWRS when the end users are looking for consistency...

Look at maltsters ...they don't want 5 different varieties of barley to make consistent beer...do they???

You are right rareearth whats with so many varieties ...maybe they could cut their costs by fewer...

Seems no one is buying to clean the bins out anyways.
                      Wonder what just the advertising bill is on those varieties that no one buys? Can you even get seed for most of them? 463 wheat varieties how many aren't even grown?

Comment

Maybe we will all have to go back to mixed farming, put as much grain as you can through animals , let them collect what comes from the endpoint of the livestock.

Comment

Originally posted by blueversi View Post
                          Maybe we will all have to go back to mixed farming, put as much grain as you can through animals , let them collect what comes from the endpoint of the livestock.
                          I think once they are done with the grain guys they will start a royalty scheme on livestock as well....just wait....

Buying purebred bull is the same as buying a new variety. ....not sure why we need royalties on grain...

Comment

If I have the pleasure to farm for 50 years, there is no way every year we have new varieties.

The risk of new, untested dudds, insect or disease susceptibility is not worth the risk or expense.

Comment

Sclerotinia
                              Anphomycies
                              Wheat midge
                              Seed pod weevils
                              Aphids
                              Root nematodes ( wait for it)
                              Etc

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.