• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Renewables Chuck

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Renewables Chuck

Not getting into a pointless debate chuck but this will interest you.
    But fact remains we still have worlds most expensive electricity.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-12-07/study-shows-impact-wind-solar-gas-power-on-electricity-prices/10590876 https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-12-07/study-shows-impact-wind-solar-gas-power-on-electricity-prices/10590876

Sorry chuck and others tried to delete post as it will end up in bitch brawl.

Just thought chuck would be interested and grass.

seems you cant delete posts.

Comment

Originally posted by malleefarmer View Post
      Sorry chuck and others tried to delete post as it will end up in bitch brawl.

Just thought chuck would be interested and grass.

seems you cant delete posts.
      No need to delete I don't think mallee but if you want to just click on the edit button on your post...then click on "delete post" - blue button right hand side of screen.

Comment

Interesting report and I would guess by the climate I see in ozzy land solar would work.
        Here in NE Sask we have only spotted the sun one or two days since Sept. Now the sun is so low in the sky even if it is shining I doubt it would give any energy

Comment

Originally posted by grassfarmer View Post
          No need to delete I don't think mallee but if you want to just click on the edit button on your post...then click on "delete post" - blue button right hand side of screen.
          tried that wouldnt delete. Didnt want to appear like a troll.......

you all know my views basically against wind and solar but the world is changing get used to it i guess.
          for me we have about 3 rd largest deposits of uranium in the world could make clean green cheap power that wont happen so have to go with the flow wether i agree or not.

not getting into a argument just thought it was interesting article. And chcuk would have interested.

Comment

The closure of the Northern and Playford coal-fired power stations has left South Australia reliant on expensive generation from gas-fired power stations, which are needed especially when wind and solar are not producing energy.

So, by closing the cheapest power option they had, then comparing wind and solar to the most expensive power option they have left, wind and solar are cheaper. Nothing worth arguing about there.

I wonder how they can keep a straight face while stating that they have the highest electricity costs in the world, then stating that they would be even higher if they used the same generation methods as the rest of the world.

Comment

Like anything, solar power will have its place no doubt in time .
              But , don’t shove it down peoples throats,and drain their bank accounts because “you” think it’s right .
              We will all make changes , it will come .. and is ongoing right now . Just don’t force it under false pretences..... wealth transfer. The world will adopt, but take the theatrical b/S away and the threat of global meltdown.... the whole green thing might surprise how fast it will adapt and be successful.... the world will not end in 5 years and the results of that absolute horse shit is starting to show .... viva la France 🇫🇷.
              People are waking up to being pushed too far ... on many fronts .

Comment

If it all had a reasonable return on investment every single one on this forum and in Canada would be jumping on the bandwagon to buy it.

Sort of like the pet Rock years ago.

But in Reality, it's expensive and costly with a 25 to 50-year return.

I'll be dead by then.

Huge subsidies wouldn't be needed if it worked as well as they say.

Follow the money good sales peoplekind on Climate barbies ear, probably family connected to this whole shit show.

Comment

I will say Chuck and Grass the Solar panel on my Live feed wireless
                  Cameras in Florida works excellent. It has only rained twice since I left otherwise sunny out.

Comment

From Mallee's post:
                    "Wind and solar reduce prices by more than subsidies

The study used computer modelling to crunch electricity price data from the past five years.

It sampled wholesale market prices every half hour from 2013 to 2018, and calculated the factors that led to those prices.

It found that even though South Australians were paying the highest average bills in the world, wind and solar generation in South Australia actually brought wholesale prices down — and by far more than the subsidies paid for them.

It found that in the 2017–18 financial year, renewables reduced wholesale prices by an average of about 30 per cent, or about $37 per megawatt hour, mostly due to wind generation.

This was far more than the cost of the subsidies paid for them, which the study calculated was $11 per megawatt hour of electricity produced.

Renewable generators have been able to sell electricity on the wholesale market very cheaply, because the ongoing cost of producing electricity from wind and solar is effectively zero.

These cheap offers from renewable generators on the wholesale market displace more expensive offers from gas generators, effectively reducing prices for the entire market."

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER3 View Post
                      If it all had a reasonable return on investment every single one on this forum and in Canada would be jumping on the bandwagon to buy it.

Sort of like the pet Rock years ago.

But in Reality, it's expensive and costly with a 25 to 50-year return.

I'll be dead by then.

Huge subsidies wouldn't be needed if it worked as well as they say.

Follow the money good sales peoplekind on Climate barbies ear, probably family connected to this whole shit show.
                      Grid tied Solar PV is already cheaper in Saskatchewan than farm rates and residential rates. I did a rough calculation that even without subsidies the long term cost of solar is around 8 cents a kwh. Farms currently pay 11.8 cents a kwh, residential is 14 cents. Grid tied Solar systems should pay for themselves in about 10 years under Saskatchewan's net metering program.

Solar is a better fit in Australia but the southern prairies is the best place in Canada to have solar. Saskpower is investing in some solar but a lot more wind. Primarily because it is cheaper than new gas or coal plants. And much cheaper than carbon capture and storage.

We still need hydro, gas or coal for base load. All we need is lower cost large storage systems to make renewables have a bigger share of the grid. That will take awahile.

Comment

Hey, chuck I have a question.

In an area close to my home in Florida a whole section is covered in Solar panels what a lovely sight, "Puke". Or a massive field of windmills and the WHOP WHOP sound. Now compare what that looks like to a nice dam on the South or north Saskatchewan rivers with recreation and fishing and irrigation.

We have a 100 year supply of coal and clean coal its here we just need to get it out burn and power are supplied.

I would take the second hands down or nuke or coal building.

Nice row of panels you have and only 10 years to pay for themselves before you see some cash back. Wow great, you would be what 70 buy them. Better hope the old folks home is heated with solar or wind.

Comment

Hey, chuck I have a question.

In an area close to my home in Florida a whole section is covered in Solar panels what a lovely sight, "Puke". Or a massive field of windmills and the WHOP WHOP sound. Now compare what that looks like to a nice dam on the South or north Saskatchewan rivers with recreation and fishing and irrigation.

We have a 100 year supply of coal and clean coal its here we just need to get it out burn and power are supplied.

I would take the second hands down or nuke or coal building.

Nice row of panels you have and only 10 years to pay for themselves before you see some cash back. Wow great, you would be what 70 buy them. Better hope the old folks home is heated with solar or wind.
                          Hydro is a great choice in Canada but it comes with some environmental negatives. We already have lots especially in Quebec, Manitoba and BC.

Nuclear is one of the most expensive options.

Coal is dirty and more expensive than renewables especially when you include the health and environmental costs. Coal is old 19 century technology.

We have a surplus of natural gas being wasted with flaring at oil facilities. A good interim option would be more gas with carbon capture and storage.

Solar can be used to cover roofs or walls in many parts of the world. Most of the urban world is already covered in pavement and concrete. More green space would be nice. Solar roofs don't look any worse than asphalt shingles.

Solar is an asset that will benefit the next generation. Will your $70,000 diesel pickup still be useful in 25 or 30 years? Solar panels have a 25 year guarantee of 80% of the original output. Compared to a truck they are a much better investment.

Wind can be offshore or in areas that make sense.

Oil wells look like crap and cut up agricultural land, but few seem to care about how they look.
                          Last edited by chuckChuck; Dec 7, 2018, 07:43.

Comment

I'll be dead by then.
                            You'll be dead anyway, wouldn't you rather have at least tried to make a difference? Take the billions off oil subsidy and put on renewable. It'll already look much better financially and it won't cost an extra cent.

Comment

Like I posted earlier if this was such a great thing that all of you are promoting wouldn't it get the public excited and want to race down to the hardware store and purchase or get an electrician in and install them on every single shed grain bin home dog house etc.

But again without subsidies its a dud. Let that soak in.

Next trip south ill take a picture of the field covered in them. Or just drive to Alberta and look in Brooks god its ugly.

Why not use what we have Gas and Coal etc until it's done by that time the solar might be perfected and will be pennies to buy.

Canada isn't the problem its Countries like China and India that produce this shit for sale in Canada.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...