• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maby Organic is the way to go

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maby Organic is the way to go

We have been putting some serious thought into this, along with a few other neighbor, that maby saying piss on the current model and trying something different might be the way to go.

The organic industry seems to be chugging along just fine with no signs of slowing down.
    With input cost rising with no signs of slowing down, conventional commodity prices not so great along with everything else that help make margins razor thin it seems silly to keep the status quo when their may be something better.
    The numbers seem to work.

All the organic farmers I know seem happy, not that stressed and excited about the future.

Originally posted by RedLentil View Post
    We have been putting some serious thought into this, along with a few other neighbor, that maby saying piss on the current model and trying something different might be the way to go.

The organic industry seems to be chugging along just fine with no signs of slowing down.
    With input cost rising with no signs of slowing down, conventional commodity prices not so great along with everything else that help make margins razor thin it seems silly to keep the status quo when their may be something better.
    The numbers seem to work.

All the organic farmers I know seem happy, not that stressed and excited about the future.
    Actually as anybody smart enough to realize that the tooth fairy and Santa Claus are not real is aware, so called organic farming is not sustainable either. However, there is perhaps opportunity to pick some low hanging fruit, while conventional markets are buried under surplus. A buddy of mine in south Alberta where there is a hay market, will put a field in alfalfa, do the transition period to organic and then grow a few years of organic wheat and flax and once the weed pressure gets too great, get the sprayer out. While being an organic producer, you have to shut off your brain telling you this is BS, you are doing it for the money. Once you lose your mind that gets easier. I am old enough to remember the organic craze of the early 2000's where prices shot up, then came down while the buyer putting out contracts went broke. Same thing going to happen this time. Maybe you can guy Borgualt's $250000 super harrow for your organic acres.

Comment

The organic model and conventional are identical. Double the yield for half the price or half the yield for double the price.

I would say using more seasonal cover crops that fix N would be a better strategy.

Comment

Growing cover crop seed might be the way to go or is it all protected under seed grower rights?

Comment

Organic would be sustainable if you could use P&K fertilizer.

AJI the guy you know that grows alfalfa for a few years then turns it organic for a few does he pile on the phos before planting alfalfa?

Comment

Organic would be sustainable if you could use P&K fertilizer.

AJi the guy you know that grows alfalfa for a few years then turns it organic for a few does he pile on the phos before planting alfalfa?

Comment

Trere is a good living to be had by farming without fert and chemicals,but you cant be the BTO,a modest acerage and some livestock rotating hay and bly.
              If sprays are so effective why can you see sprayer misses a mile away. I know I grow way to many weeds but after 5/7yr of hay I grow 80 to100 bu bly no fert,for 3 yr then back into hay, I will bet I have a better net per acre than those that fert and spray to the max,and no newest and best equiptment,but for 800 acres seems to work for me.
              To each his own and be happy.

Comment

Originally posted by Horse View Post
                Trere is a good living to be had by farming without fert and chemicals,but you cant be the BTO,a modest acerage and some livestock rotating hay and bly.
                If sprays are so effective why can you see sprayer misses a mile away. I know I grow way to many weeds but after 5/7yr of hay I grow 80 to100 bu bly no fert,for 3 yr then back into hay, I will bet I have a better net per acre than those that fert and spray to the max,and no newest and best equiptment,but for 800 acres seems to work for me.
                To each his own and be happy.
                Good for you , I don’t doubt it one bit
                If we all did as you the cattle price would be worth less and the surplus of hay would need to be burnt to keep us all warm .
                Just keep doing what your doing ... stop kicking everyone else who doesn’t do as you do in the shins . We all are doing the same thing ...... farming and trying to raise a family off the land ....
                Just keep raising good beef , I love beef 🥩

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                • Return to Topic List
                Working...
                X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                You agree to our and by clicking I agree.