• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lagoon and freezing in winter

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lagoon and freezing in winter

Sorry if I’ve posted in the wrong section. I just bought my first farm and have a lagoon. I’ve talked to a few farmers and one guy says to keep the area where the sewage comes out free of ice. Another farmer said to leave the lagoon freeze over as that is the way it is supposed to go and not to worry. Opinions please. I don’t want any backup

Originally posted by hellothere123 View Post
    Sorry if I’ve posted in the wrong section. I just bought my first farm and have a lagoon. I’ve talked to a few farmers and one guy says to keep the area where the sewage comes out free of ice. Another farmer said to leave the lagoon freeze over as that is the way it is supposed to go and not to worry. Opinions please. I don’t want any backup
    I assume the discharge is under the ice (or surface water level) a ways isn’t it?

Anyway, just let it freeze, but remember it is not normal ice and won’t be the same thickness as a fresh water dugout ice.

If you are concerned about that particular lagoon best would be to ask the previous owner if you can.

Comment

We had our lagoon freeze thick and had a backup in the house 2 yrs ago..First time ever..
      Ours is covered with plywood and tin..So after that episode we now use a aeration pump running 24/7 to keep a hole open to make sure the water can keep getting above the ice and not freeze solid..
      Check clean outs ever few days to make sure its not backing up..Got a new basement out of insurance but sure was no fun..

Comment

Originally posted by Partners View Post
        We had our lagoon freeze thick and had a backup in the house 2 yrs ago..First time ever..
        Ours is covered with plywood and tin..So after that episode we now use a aeration pump running 24/7 to keep a hole open to make sure the water can keep getting above the ice and not freeze solid..
        Check clean outs ever few days to make sure its not backing up..Got a new basement out of insurance but sure was no fun..
        Thanks for the reply. I guess that’s what I’m wondering is do you let it freeze over and let the sewage water push the ice up or do you have a spot open in the ice all winter long so that a sewage can go above the ice? Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by hellothere123 View Post
          Thanks for the reply. I guess that’s what I’m wondering is do you let it freeze over and let the sewage water push the ice up or do you have a spot open in the ice all winter long so that a sewage can go above the ice? Thank you
          I’ve heard if you keep a spot open then the sewage will go above the ice and re-freeze and will create thicker ice which will eventually freeze the sewage pipe then you’ll get sewage back up. I’m not finding anything on the net and just want to understand the best way to go. Thx

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
          • Return to Topic List
          Working...
          X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
          You agree to our and by clicking I agree.