• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I think this is a way bigger threat than global warming

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think this is a way bigger threat than global warming

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2018/11/why-536-was-worst-year-be-alive

And more recently in 1783, a series of massive volcanic eruptions spewed millions of tons of sulphur dioxide into the sky, blanketing Europe in a poisonous fog that lasted 8 devastating months. Crops failed across the continent and Egypt suffered a famine that reduced its population by one sixth, thousands died from sulphurous acid poisoning. Across the Atlantic, even Benjamin Franklin wrote of the "constant fog over all of Europe and a great part of North America." The source was volcanoes in Iceland.
    So we are going to get all bent out of shape over a possible one half or one degree of warming that is predicted by people who can forecast the weather three days ahead. A change that likely is already being negated by the decrease in solar activity that is presently occurring...…..
    Now before I am labeled a brainless climate change denier, let me add that I believe that we are undoubtably having an effect on the climate. We pollute, are very wasteful and create a lot of heat (which mostly just dissipates). However I have yet to see many practical or even remotely successful suggestions to any "climate threat" other than those that address pollution or sensibly reduce energy consumption. A lot of the so called "Green Energy" alternatives may not have service lives, and thus savings that exceed the net energy used to create them.

Comment

Originally posted by pgluca View Post
      And more recently in 1783, a series of massive volcanic eruptions spewed millions of tons of sulphur dioxide into the sky, blanketing Europe in a poisonous fog that lasted 8 devastating months. Crops failed across the continent and Egypt suffered a famine that reduced its population by one sixth, thousands died from sulphurous acid poisoning. Across the Atlantic, even Benjamin Franklin wrote of the "constant fog over all of Europe and a great part of North America." The source was volcanoes in Iceland.
      So we are going to get all bent out of shape over a possible one half or one degree of warming that is predicted by people who can forecast the weather three days ahead. A change that likely is already being negated by the decrease in solar activity that is presently occurring...…..
      Now before I am labeled a brainless climate change denier, let me add that I believe that we are undoubtably having an effect on the climate. We pollute, are very wasteful and create a lot of heat (which mostly just dissipates). However I have yet to see many practical or even remotely successful suggestions to any "climate threat" other than those that address pollution or sensibly reduce energy consumption. A lot of the so called "Green Energy" alternatives may not have service lives, and thus savings that exceed the net energy used to create them.
      Very good point 👍

Comment

In the badlands around Drumhellar you can see a layer of light grey clayish looking stuff that is over a foot deep. It is a layer of ash from a european volcano, dont remember the time period its from but there was discussion around a couple of cold, dark years from the ash. Think about that amount of ash moving that far.

Comment

No offence to the original poster, but the statement bigger threat than global warming is the ultimate rhetorical statement. It is like saying a bigger threat than a cure for cancer, or a bigger threat than free unlimited pollution free energy. EVERYTHING is a bigger threat than global warming, since it has been exclusively NET beneficial every time it has occurred.

But thanks for posting, I hadn't seen that one yet. Always humbling to learn about weather or climate of the past, (and therefore potentially in the future), then look at our current just in time production and delivery of vital foods(and everything else). If/when something similar happens with our current razor thin world stocks, the death toll as a percentage will likely be even higher than it was back then. I know the market considers stocks to be extremely burdensome in the era of just in time delivery, but a few weeks or months of supply is a drop in the bucket when crops can fail worldwide for consecutive years. I expect the tin foil hat types might think that isn't by accident either.

If those who purport to want to save the world for future generations really cared about future generations, preparing for an apocalyptical event of that scale would likely be a better place to invest their efforts than saving the world from CO2. Considering the probabilities, Volcanic winters have occurred quite regularly, many within recorded history, whereas runaway global warming has never occurred on earth even at CO2 levels orders or magnitude higher than now. Where would you place your bets given those probabilities?

Comment

Originally posted by GDR View Post
            In the badlands around Drumhellar you can see a layer of light grey clayish looking stuff that is over a foot deep. It is a layer of ash from a european volcano, dont remember the time period its from but there was discussion around a couple of cold, dark years from the ash. Think about that amount of ash moving that far.
            If it is over a foot deep, it wouldn't be just a couple of cold years, but more likely a couple of cold milleniums. I wonder if that would make the alarmists happy?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...