• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Carbon tax on fertilizer

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Revenue neutral tax is by far and away, the dumbest thing I've ever heard and a testimony to the gullibility of the general public and their public servants. Talk about the emperor having no clothes.
    If I were PM for a day, one thing I would do is scrap income tax deductions all together.
    If people had to write a check at the end of the year for their taxes can you imagine the commotion??? It would be hilarious. Think about it while you sit with the other boiling frogs.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckChuck View Post
      BC has had a carbon tax for 10 years! Has it fallen into the ocean yet? It has a strong and growing economy. All this doom and gloom you would think that an asteroid is heading for earth. Get a grip.

Preston Manning, Michael Chong, The CD Howe Institute, and numerous Corporations support a carbon tax as the best market driven option to speed up the transition to using less fossil energy.

This is going to be a long transition and most of us will be long gone before we stop using fossil energy.

Prime Minister Steven Harper even signed a G7 agreement saying Canada would stop using fossil energy by the year 2100.

Don't rely on politicians who depend on the oil industry "donations" to do your thinking for you. The oil industry has been ripping us off for ever and not even adequately paying to clean up their mess.

Saudi Arabia is already planning to diversify their economy away from oil.

Norway has over a trillion dollars in savings from their oil boom and is one of the leaders in reducing carbon emissions in Europe. It is also one of the best places to live in the world. We mismanaged and continue to mismanage our resource sector and have little to show for it.
      Every industry in BC can offset the carbon tax ... we will have to bear the brunt as farmers full on with no offset . Huge difference. The carbon tax on fert and fuel alone will be a huge cost ... all for nothing , zero climate change and that will show in an extremely depleted income for us , only for others to benefit.
      All for nothing .

Comment

CC, telling us to look at BC. Its blah,blah blah heaven with a really nice carbon tax.....

CC you have not looked very closely BC to understand what these guys are telling you.
        We are two different worlds.

BC has about 4.5 mil people.
        The vast majority which is packed in the lower mainland, an area about 300 mi square.
        There is not a city over 70000 out side of the Lower Mainland.

And the south coast has a warmer summer Mediterranean type climate.
        A portion of which is the mildest climate in Canada.
        Which is why electric cars are big out there.

BCs largest and most lucrative business over the last ten years or so has been munney laundering and corruption.
        I'm sure they will rename their province Big Crime.
        OK, I'm kidding just a little.

OTOH, AB and SK have thinner pops spread out over huge distances with no Skyway to take.
        Did Greyhound quit because they saw all the extra carbon tax cost coming?
        You bet they did. They are not stupid. They are business people.

Both AB and SK have a much different climate than BC.
        I lived thru a January in northern AB where the temp went down to -40C to -45C for 9 of 14 days.
        Our businesses like those in Ft Mc suffer thru terrible cold working conditions to make sure some ungrateful city folk can swill their lattes in comfort.
        So much of our prairie business has to be done the winter.

Saying BC is like the prairies is like saying Canada is California. Apples and oranges.

Besides the CO2 scare is still the WORLD'S GREATEST HOAX.

Comment

What will the failed carbon tax add to the price of NH3?

Comment

Originally posted by Oliver88 View Post
            What will the failed carbon tax add to the price of NH3?
            Even if it gets repealed I bet expenses will get ratcheted up because of it and they won't come down to pre-imposed carbon tax levels.....be damned if Industry will give up the total gain.

Spring pricing is elusive...does anyone know where it's going for sure? I assume higher but how much more could it go. We are already paying about 25% more than last year....is it because of Industry consolidation, a "real" lack of supply or did it go up in anticipation of that ****en carbon tax.

Like I said, it feels like 2008 again but not to that extreme....but Urea does seem over priced.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
              Even if it gets repealed I bet expenses will get ratcheted up because of it and they won't come down to pre-imposed carbon tax levels.....be damned if Industry will give up the total gain.

Spring pricing is elusive...does anyone know where it's going for sure? I assume higher but how much more could it go. We are already paying about 25% more than last year....is it because of Industry consolidation, a "real" lack of supply or did it go up in anticipation of that ****en carbon tax.

Like I said, it feels like 2008 again but not to that extreme....but Urea does seem over priced.
              Currently urea is more expensive than NH3 being applied this fall....by a considerable margin I’m told.

The production of NH3 will be more expensive in 2019 if there is a carbon tax on natural gas, diesel for truckers, etc.....just wondering if someone has calculated what the change will be for production and transportation?

Comment

The Trudeau-McKenna Church of Latter Day environmentalists... (McTeague)

Rex lays out the utter idiocy of taxing a life essential -

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/rex-murphy-the-art-of-politically-expedient-planning-in-an-age-of-climate-ague https://nationalpost.com/opinion/rex-murphy-the-art-of-politically-expedient-planning-in-an-age-of-climate-ague

Comment

Hey maybe most of you guys will quit using gly and GM technology and cut back on the fossil fuel acid based ferts and then you'll have a worldwide market again for your crops. No more complaining, great

Comment

Originally posted by Austranada View Post
                    Hey maybe most of you guys will quit using gly and GM technology and cut back on the fossil fuel acid based ferts and then you'll have a worldwide market again for your crops. No more complaining, great
                    I will try and explain it to you again
                    You see , if you dont use glyphos , then you have to use tillage
                    If you done an emissions study on an organic farmer compared to a zero tiller it would be astounding how much more the organic farmer would emit because of tillage
                    Tillage is bad and here land can blow very easily
                    I have nothing against organic , in fact I really respect them for what they do
                    Once again you have proved you know sfa about farming

Comment

Originally posted by Austranada View Post
                      Hey , maybe you will actually read the studys of ten or more countries that have determined glyphos is harmless instead of reading the one from one country that says it “could” be harmful
                      Then no more bullshitting and bitching from you , great

Comment

It seems so obvious, why do so many fail to comprehend the relationship of wealth redistribution is one that require wealth making to redistribute: investor confidence in Canada is declining, and existing business sector is about to be taxed even more, making us less globally competitive. Even more disconcerting is the world is entering the technical revolution where jobs will decline: how well positioned is Canada for the future, given what we see unfolding: more debt, more tax?

Comment

It’s just a great way to tax food, the man is brilliant!

Comment

https://torontosun.com/opinion/columnists/malcolm-trudeau-carbon-tax-a-plague-on-overtaxed-canadians

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
                              Well , your dead wrong there ... if this cabin tax kicks into full gear we are done in agriculture... period . No way to off set extra cost like every other industry in the world that can simply pass in the cost to someone else .. we will be fuked
                              Costs will come in line, not as much shiny new paint every year, but it won't be done.

Comment

A helping hand.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bandaid.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	766863

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...