• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beer is going up in price!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beer is going up in price!

Just saw on ctv beer is going up because of global warming! Lol unreal.

Originally posted by Robertbarlage View Post
    Just saw on ctv beer is going up because of global warming! Lol unreal.

Brace yourself for beer shortages and price spikes as climate change wreaks havoc on barley crops
    by Reuters

WASHINGTON -- Climate change will brew trouble for beer lovers in coming decades as it shrinks yields of barley, the top grain used to make the world's most popular alcoholic drink, a study published on Monday said.
    Extreme weather events featuring both heat waves and droughts will occur as often as every two or three years in the second half of the century if temperatures rise at current rates, the study said.
    Average global barley yields during extreme events are expected to drop between 3 and 17 per cent, depending on the conditions, said the study, published in the journal Nature Plants.
    Less barley will mean beer shortages and price spikes. Under the hottest scenario, China will suffer the most shortages this century, followed by the United States, Germany, and Russia, it said.
    Prices will spike the most in Ireland, Italy, Canada and Poland. During the extreme climate events, prices for a 500 milliliter bottle, slightly more than a pint, in Ireland will rise from about US$2.50 to US$5.00.
    Dabo Guan, a professor of climate change economics at the University of East Anglia and the study's lead author, said beer issues pale in comparison to other climate induced problems, including food security, storm damage and fresh water scarcity. But the threats to a beverage people have enjoyed for thousands of years is an indicator that even consumers in developed countries cannot escape the effects of a changing planet.
    "Climate change will affect all of us, not only people who are in India or African countries," Guan said.

The study says beer prices will spike the most in Ireland, Italy, Canada and Poland.
    The study did not consider climate change's affects on other staple ingredients of beer such as hops.
    Consumers in developed countries who want to avoid shortages would be wise to support policies reducing emissions of gases scientists blame for warming the planet, Guan said.
    Last year U.S. President Donald Trump announced his intention to pull the United States out of the 2015 Paris pact on climate, doubting the extent to which human activity is warming the planet.
    Many companies realize the risks of climate on barley, 17 per cent of which is used to make beer. Many countries keep emergency reserves of staple crops such as corn, rice and wheat to stave off price spikes and shortages. But most do not do so for barley, making it vulnerable to climate.
    Anheuser-Busch InBev, the world's biggest brewer, said this year it would cut its greenhouse gas emissions by a quarter by 2025.
    Jess Newman, the head of U.S. agronomy for Anheuser-Busch, said the company was experimenting with developing drought-resistant barley and working with farmers to reduce their need for water by, for example, encouraging them to place irrigation sprinklers closer to the ground.
    "It's definitely an incremental process but we have many varieties in the pipeline," Newman said when asked how close the company was to breeding a drought-resistant barley in the United States. For several years, Anheuser-Busch has used a winter barley in Idaho that gets moisture from melting snow, cutting the need for irrigation.

Thomson Reuters 2018
    Reuters | October 15, 2018 at 3:03 pm

Comment

You heard it here first folks!

Good quality malt barley produced in late season dry harvest conditions can't be bought no matter what the bid.

Comment

Anyone here who had bly.. got malt..lots has been moved already.

Comment

.....someone will malt "feed" barley! They do every year.

Bwahahahahaha hahahahahaha hahaha ohhhhh bahahahahaaaaa, hahahaha, hahaha, Oooooo my sides!

Comment

So can someone else do the math for me please.
            Barley causing a bottle of beer to rise 2.50
            How many bottles/bushel?
            Going to mean hundreds of dollars per bushel we get isn’t it???😜

Comment

A bushel of barley will produce 300-500 bottles of beer depending.

Comment

Yup , carbon tax’s will cost $30-50/ ac but the primary producer will get an extra $5/ac for good malt or any quality grain/ oilseed / pulse crop ..... yup this new math going to kill every farm and all our kids future who are interested. It will be the same with every commodity.
                Time will tell but I will not be wrong if this cabin tax scam holds in place.
                All to subsidize the people in
                Poverty that governments and elites want to ignore ... it’s going to come from the us regardless of farm size . The elites and government officials will continue their way of jet setting and absolutely wasting tax payers money in front of our eyes 👀 regardless of their carbon footprint 👣.
                For those drinking the koolaid .. your grandkids will kick your ass for being so stupid while the wealthy laugh their ass off and run our next generation into the Ground as slaves .

Comment

Oh, and the “climate” will never change what’s its doing due to a carbon tax .... if you believe that Santa will be down your chimney on December 25 .....

Comment

The only time barley is good on my farm is when its hot and dry so I think their theory is flawed.

Comment

"News" shit what's next?
                      A fart and burp tax on beer to stop climate change?

Comment

Don't worry BP, be happy! In Canada you will be able to smoke high grade pot grown in enviromentally controlled conditions immune from the effects of climate change.

Comment

That is a pretty lame story on so many fronts.
                          Beyond stupid.
                          Has anyone checked the source.

A 10% yield drop in barley,is maybe possible. To get from that to double the beer price is a big stretch.
                          Mind you the Weston's managed
                          To turn a 10% wheat price rise into 100 % rise in the cost of a loaf of bread
                          Last edited by sawfly1; Oct 16, 2018, 00:27.

Comment

Groups of farmers across oz got approached by chinese malster 3 years ago farma, wanted 2000t as trial shipment.

Lots of hoops to jumps through, protocol and biosecurity isues and testing issues. In the end just got to hard, a good premium to be paid, a group in WestAust ran with it and it working ok.

Our biggest issues was the quality specs talk about narrow, and often came up in conversation with "whoflungdung" or what ever the chinese guys name was about low quality malt makes great beer for asian market. He didnt denigh it but said more disposable income they want better than watery beers.

I could be gullible and he admitted they were targeting top end.

Move to australia have good lady friend who is involed in beer malt and buying malt locally for beer "coopers" and they to dont buy shit barley anymore, customers becoming more discerning.

My favourite is "coopers pale ale" close second "coopers sparkling ale" bugger me in grande cache i found one and jasper the other. And barmen at jasper said its to in your face nobody drinks it, quite hoppy, you guys drink watery type beers.

Sorry farma forgot what i was trying to say dont mind me

Comment

did i come across a beer something or other "pig ale" cant remeber must have more than a few that wasnt a bad drop.

the only watery beer beer i like is corona bang knock em down fast on hot day easy drinkin

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.