• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seed royalty

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SASKFARMER3 View Post
    The Seed system is screwed up in Canada.

PAY PAY PAY for same or similar shit and then Deregister varieties. for Bull shit reasons.

Its a joke and they know it. Hopefully, farmers will soon wake up.

You cant pay sky-high seed prices for a yield of 28 bushels an acre in drought conditions.

Just basic math.

Ah, math.
    If you have a 28 bu/ac crop in a drought , then you really don't know what a drought is now do ya?

Come down here to the SW corner of Sask. , on a dry year down here you will see what a drought is like.

Comment

Originally posted by ajl View Post
      Nobody consistently grows 60 except in Hutt bushels. That is the first misconception to be rid of. All the input suppliers out there like to make you think your competition does. The good land around here will consistently do 50 but there are years that it does not make that either for a variety of reasons usually flooding. If you seed an acres but gets flooded out after, I include that acre in my yield calculations as the inputs were committed even though it was not harvested.
      ......ask SF3!!!!!

Or ok....30 versus 50.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
        ......ask SF3!!!!!

Or ok....30 versus 50.
        60 bu plus canola is taken way to lightly
        we spare nothing , real good land
        combined one yesterday , but they are few and far between here
        most of it is horseshit (I mean bullshit)
        50-55 real common

Comment

Originally posted by westernvicki View Post
          The pulse program of the CDC was supported by producer check off, the agreement that allows Sask Pulse Growers to commercialize seed ends in 2020. Does anyone on SPG board want to comment on how the varieties will be commercialized after this agreement.

IF there is a tender process how will the process be set up to insure the process is transparent, accountable and fair?

And yes it is too bad that farmers did not own this plant breeding institution, we should have, followed the LIMAGRAIN route.

100% Agree with Vicki. An outside farmer advisory group should set it up, because these guys don’t have IT!

Comment

I agree it isn't the seed that is getting us to the next level in Canola its the Amount of Juice, Phos, Potash, Sulphur and Zink we give a crop. Give me an old variety and ill prove it will yield similar. 50 to 60 is possible But the 70 to 100 is horse shit. on a large scale.

As an example, if you seed 100 quarters or more of Canola. I can bet a million dollars that one of the 100 will have had a hail storm or downpour at the wrong time or missed a shower etc.

100 x 160 = 16000 x 60 960000 bushels.

now

99 x 160 = 950000 divided by the 160000 you needed and you're at 59.4 bushels with just one wreck. No one can say they had ever got every single quarter with no problems.

So the con artist with his 100 is full of shit on a grand scale.

Yes, I had 40 acres of Breaking that is sick but its 40 acres for F#$Ks sake.

Wheat the only reason we are getting the higher doubling of my dads yields are USA shorter straw HRS.

Our area was famous for growing straw. Yes, straw put every ounce of Fertilizer to grow straw then by the time the head came out the plant was in full heat cycle of July and filled poorly unless you got a shower thus giving 50 as a crop.

Now HRS like AC Brandon is so short it produces an awesome head instead of two feet of straw.

Similar fertilizer program may be a bit higher.
            Last edited by SASKFARMER3; Oct 13, 2018, 08:43.

Comment

Here is my opinion as a seed grower.

I do not agree with the de-registration of some of the older varieties if the buyers still want to buy the varieties.

We were growing 46A76 Canola on our farm and cleaning it and seeding it until it became de-registared. Our seed cost was about $1.25 per acre. It yielded about 5 bushel acre less than the newer varieties but it took a lot of the risk out of growing canola. Some times it even yielded similar to newer varieties. Now that it is de-registared we don't have that option.

I don't think hybrid cereals will be a good thing for farmers and would be much the same as the canola model. At this time i don't think there is a big enough yield advantage for hybrid wheat or durum to make it feasible but there is with Rye at this time.

I have been growing pedigreed seed for a short time only around 12 years or so. Any farmer can become a seed grower if they want to. Just get a copy of circular 6 is online and it has all the rules and guidelines there.
              As a seed grower you have lots of extra costs involved to produce seed. You have to pay fees to the canadian seed institute for every field and acre of seed you produce. You have to pay a crop inspector to come and inspect your pedigreed crops. Extra work of cleaning all farm equipment, isolations strips between fields.
              To grow seed for different companies you have to become a shareholder of the company you want to grow seed for. Average price to become a shareholder of a seed company is around $20,000. Lots of seed growers are shareholders of several seed companies so you can have $60,000 been paid out to different seed companies before you can even grow seed for them. When we sell seed we pay royalties on the seed we sell back to the seed companies. Royalties can be anywhere from $1.50 to $2 plus per bushel on the seed that we sell.

When a seed grower wants to produce certified seed they have to purchase seed of a higher pedigreed to produce the certified seed. If certified seed is $12 higher pedigreed seed of the same variety could be $20 plus per bushel. The higher the pedigreed the higher the price is for seed.

If you get some breeder seed for plot or small field production you can be paying $600 bushel for the seed.

Then you have to build a seed cleaning plant or pay someone to clean your pedigreed seed. The standards that pedigreed seed has to be cleaned to you will have to pay more to have your seed cleaned as the standards for certified seed are a lot higher than common seed. If you clean the seed yourself you need a seed plant which now a days would cost approximately $1,000,000 to build a average sized seed plant with a scale. If you want to put in a colour sorter add another $600,000 to the price. When you clean pedigreed seed you have to clean it a lot slower than common seed to meet the standards. Sometimes you may have to clean it 2 or 3x to get it to pedigreed standards.

Lots of different seed companies out there now and they all have few varieties of different crop types. There is lots of varieties that don't even get registered.

If a seed grower does not get at least a $5 premium for pedigreed seed over the market price it is not worth the extra cost of producing the seed.

There is quite a bit of brown bagging of seed sales going on. When its large volumes being sold it hurts all of the seed industry as the royalties are not going back to the seed companies and to plant breeding. Its unfair as the farmers selling brown bagged seed don't have all the extra costs involved that a seed grower has.

Before I was seed grower I did not realize all that is involved and the extra costs and work involved.

So if anyone thinks seed growers have it made look up circular 6 and get your application in. You can be growing pedigreed seed on your farm in 2019.
              Last edited by Jagfarms; Oct 13, 2018, 10:33.

Comment

Thanks for the info Jag, how did you make out with the combine?

Comment

Got the combine back have not had to use it since we got it back and did not have to use the loaner when ours was in the shop. Engine blew September 11 and only did 500 acres of canola since then and we did that with our second combine none of the other crops were ready.

The bill for the engine job was $104,000 not including the trucking.

We payed about 30% of the invoice so far and waiting to hear back from Case. We will have to pay some more of the invoice but hoping case puts some $ in.

Comment

RR patent for canola comes off 2021. How do we as farmers get op RR canola in our fields?

I could take the few bushels hit no problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Jagfarms View Post
                      Here is my opinion as a seed grower.

I do not agree with the de-registration of some of the older varieties if the buyers still want to buy the varieties.

We were growing 46A76 Canola on our farm and cleaning it and seeding it until it became de-registared. Our seed cost was about $1.25 per acre. It yielded about 5 bushel acre less than the newer varieties but it took a lot of the risk out of growing canola. Some times it even yielded similar to newer varieties. Now that it is de-registared we don't have that option.

I don't think hybrid cereals will be a good thing for farmers and would be much the same as the canola model. At this time i don't think there is a big enough yield advantage for hybrid wheat or durum to make it feasible but there is with Rye at this time.

I have been growing pedigreed seed for a short time only around 12 years or so. Any farmer can become a seed grower if they want to. Just get a copy of circular 6 is online and it has all the rules and guidelines there.
                      As a seed grower you have lots of extra costs involved to produce seed. You have to pay fees to the canadian seed institute for every field and acre of seed you produce. You have to pay a crop inspector to come and inspect your pedigreed crops. Extra work of cleaning all farm equipment, isolations strips between fields.
                      To grow seed for different companies you have to become a shareholder of the company you want to grow seed for. Average price to become a shareholder of a seed company is around $20,000. Lots of seed growers are shareholders of several seed companies so you can have $60,000 been paid out to different seed companies before you can even grow seed for them. When we sell seed we pay royalties on the seed we sell back to the seed companies. Royalties can be anywhere from $1.50 to $2 plus per bushel on the seed that we sell.

When a seed grower wants to produce certified seed they have to purchase seed of a higher pedigreed to produce the certified seed. If certified seed is $12 higher pedigreed seed of the same variety could be $20 plus per bushel. The higher the pedigreed the higher the price is for seed.

If you get some breeder seed for plot or small field production you can be paying $600 bushel for the seed.

Then you have to build a seed cleaning plant or pay someone to clean your pedigreed seed. The standards that pedigreed seed has to be cleaned to you will have to pay more to have your seed cleaned as the standards for certified seed are a lot higher than common seed. If you clean the seed yourself you need a seed plant which now a days would cost approximately $1,000,000 to build a average sized seed plant with a scale. If you want to put in a colour sorter add another $600,000 to the price. When you clean pedigreed seed you have to clean it a lot slower than common seed to meet the standards. Sometimes you may have to clean it 2 or 3x to get it to pedigreed standards.

Lots of different seed companies out there now and they all have few varieties of different crop types. There is lots of varieties that don't even get registered.

If a seed grower does not get at least a $5 premium for pedigreed seed over the market price it is not worth the extra cost of producing the seed.

There is quite a bit of brown bagging of seed sales going on. When its large volumes being sold it hurts all of the seed industry as the royalties are not going back to the seed companies and to plant breeding. Its unfair as the farmers selling brown bagged seed don't have all the extra costs involved that a seed grower has.

Before I was seed grower I did not realize all that is involved and the extra costs and work involved.

So if anyone thinks seed growers have it made look up circular 6 and get your application in. You can be growing pedigreed seed on your farm in 2019.
                      Good post Jag. I’m not a seed grower in part because all the extra work involved is huge. I hope you make enough extra to compensate for it all. I buy seed from Ardell at Vanscoy which is a long established, excellent operation that has millions invested in the seed plant alone. Hard workers and meticulous with the product the produce and sell.
                      All the bitching about pulse varieties-stop growing pulses if it’s so bad!! We have had access to new varieties for 25 years with no royalty cost. The total levy in SK would average under $3/Ac and the portion spent on beeeding has given powdery mildew resistant peas, aschochyta resistant lentil. Just try growing an old variety and see how you fare. There would be no pulse industry without the grower investment period. Should growers pay for it all and then some, like canola? No because there is a public economy benefit too. Should grows pay some of the cost? Yes, exactly how the pulse model has operated.

Comment

Originally posted by wd9 View Post
                        RR patent for canola comes off 2021. How do we as farmers get op RR canola in our fields?

I think it's there already...

Comment

Originally posted by farming101 View Post
                          I think it's there already...
                          But you signed a contract saying you won't grow the progeny from it.

Comment

The heck with RR, when does the LL trait come off Canadian patent, and who will breed the OP seed?

Comment

But you signed a contract saying you won't grow the progeny from it.
                              Yes, true.
                              I don't know how it will go.
                              Might be more than a few bushels
                              https://www.canolawatch.org/2018/03/02/op-canola-varieties-mcga-study-and-46a76-update/ https://www.canolawatch.org/2018/03/02/op-canola-varieties-mcga-study-and-46a76-update/

Comment

Jag, thanks for the insight into. pedigreed seed
                                what caused the motor to go ?
                                is that common ? why so much ?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...