• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seed royalty

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sell into a falling market because your scared shitless if the crop you harvested will make the winter. Then have the same companies tell you this is the discounts and fun with math to get price lower. Then oh this is the fertilizer price buy buy buy its up 25% and your price per bushel is rock bottom again fun with math.

it's a shit show.

Comment

You may be right saskfarmer , it may take more than one but a stacked team with a few of the right people will get more results if they have the passion to do so, more so than all the existing fat cats sitting in their offices , I'm not happy with the status quo and I know it won't improve for us without steering things ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by westernvicki View Post
        The pulse program of the CDC was supported by producer check off, the agreement that allows Sask Pulse Growers to commercialize seed ends in 2020. Does anyone on SPG board want to comment on how the varieties will be commercialized after this agreement.

IF there is a tender process how will the process be set up to insure the process is transparent, accountable and fair?

And yes it is too bad that farmers did not own this plant breeding institution, we should have, followed the LIMAGRAIN route.
        I think saskpulse just uses checkoff money to create private label varieties for certain companies...
        Who was King Red developed for????

Or some black spanish something or other?

One thing is for sure the companies that get exclusive rights don't pay full development costs for the varieties they get custom grown on their buddy's farm...

Oops did i miss something about the direction of the Saskpulse board other than catering to processors....do they pay a checkoff as they process grain?

does this sound like reasonable assessment of saskpulse???

Pulse Canada is an even bigger ****ing joke.......they get federal government funding (575000 earlier this year) to help their operations but don't see fit to ask on behalf of primary producers for an trade distortion payment....and 1.8 million from saskpulse so the same directors can diem to go do SFA on our behalf.

Comment

Originally posted by GOODRUM View Post
          You may be right saskfarmer , it may take more than one but a stacked team with a few of the right people will get more results if they have the passion to do so, more so than all the existing fat cats sitting in their offices , I'm not happy with the status quo and I know it won't improve for us without steering things ourselves.
          this was directed at grass not you saskfarmer........oops

Comment

Originally posted by Oliver88 View Post
            Seed industry is out of hand.

This must be why hybrid cereals are being promoted.
            Agreed. Buying your best corn and soybean genetics has been working well in the US. The seed breeders would love to be able to sell you new genetics for every acre, every year and defend this in court if farmers retain seed. Its a perfect world for them.
            Who is farming whom?
            Last edited by hobbyfrmr; Oct 12, 2018, 07:24.

Comment

maybe the NFU is the way to go , I don't know ? they were the sole voice saying this seed monopoly/scam was wrong . maybe it's time to get some real money into that outfit.
              all I know nothing is working now

Comment

I think we know there are "certified seed growers" that follow this site and have contributed posts to the forums in the past. What is their opinion on this subject. I realize slamming the seed growers is the wrong target because I believe it's the owner's to the rights of the seed that is the target.

Curious to see what they think.

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
                  maybe the NFU is the way to go , I don't know ? they were the sole voice saying this seed monopoly/scam was wrong . maybe it's time to get some real money into that outfit.
                  all I know nothing is working now
                  The problem with the NFU is it’s basically a wing of the NDP and has been taken over by the left fringe.
                  Your donation would end up supporting left wing loons like Teresa Spence and her fake hunger strike, union politics, bringing back the CWB and other nutty causes.

Comment

And yet half the country is covered with 12$ a pound canola seed and if the seed companies sold 20$ a pound, it would be sold out first.

What farmers say, and what farmers do are completely different and all the companies know just how vain you really are. Pay up sucker.

Comment

Originally posted by tweety View Post
                      And yet half the country is covered with 12$ a pound canola seed and if the seed companies sold 20$ a pound, it would be sold out first.

What farmers say, and what farmers do are completely different and all the companies know just how vain you really are. Pay up sucker.
                      Do you realize that $12/lb. canola seed is more economical for some people in the high production areas that the low production areas. 60bu/ac versus 30..... but who's problem is that?

Edit in...

"SUCKER"?
                      The problem is we are supporting a myriad of useless fools who aren't contributing anything to the cause.... only taking!!!! And paying for exorbitant amount of advertising.

Very seldom have I had to be the first guy to have the newest and of course improved variety..... but I have been grudgingly dragged up to paying what they set their price up to by everyone who did have to have the latest and greatest.
                      Last edited by farmaholic; Oct 12, 2018, 08:30.

Comment

Are you sure the variety is solely responsible for that 30 to 60 increase?

Comment

Are you sure the variety is solely responsible for that 30 to 60 increase?
                          Hell no tweety. Its area, rainfall and inputs. Just saying $12 seed makes more sense to the guy who can fairly cosistently grow 60.

Comment

Im flashing back about 28 years watching aSaturday Night Live skit Dana Carvey was Johnny Carson and his chronically agreeable Sidekick Ed McMahon.

Yes, you are correct sir....uh ha ha.

Comment

Originally posted by Oliver88 View Post
                              The problem with the NFU is it’s basically a wing of the NDP and has been taken over by the left fringe.
                              Your donation would end up supporting left wing loons like Teresa Spence and her fake hunger strike, union politics, bringing back the CWB and other nutty causes.
                              One thing about the NFU - it's what its members want it to be. It's run as a democracy with the people in power elected by the members and the issues they pursue are the ones their members want them to pursue. Unlike most "commodity groups" i've encountered in western Canada the fact that they aren't a mouth piece of government or corporate interests sets them apart.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                                Hell no tweety. Its area, rainfall and inputs. Just saying $12 seed makes more sense to the guy who can fairly cosistently grow 60.
                                Nobody consistently grows 60 except in Hutt bushels. That is the first misconception to be rid of. All the input suppliers out there like to make you think your competition does. The good land around here will consistently do 50 but there are years that it does not make that either for a variety of reasons usually flooding. If you seed an acres but gets flooded out after, I include that acre in my yield calculations as the inputs were committed even though it was not harvested.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...