• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This just might be the year....

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This just might be the year....

Starting to wonder how much crop will be left out over winter. This is could get serious. Like a new record train wreck in some areas including my area.

I just listened to the noon farm report on CJVR in Melfort and they said that 70% of the 2018 crop was in the bin getting us to close to normal. Plus yields have been revised up. This information came from Sask government so it won't reflect conditions in other areas.

So all is good!

Comment

For those that the weather has turned around on, there is such a monstrous amount of acres to be taken off in such a limited window, that moisture meters have been mostly thrown out the window. If it goes through the combine, it goes into storage. That is going to present a massive challenge for those even that are equipped to deal with tough grain.

There are a number of people around here that aren't set up in any way whatsoever to deal with tough grain. It's not something we traditionally have to deal with. Some of the BTO's ponied up in 2016 and purchased dryers, but the vast majority of individuals have nothing, or at best a couple of air bins, not to speak of most elevators in this neighborhood which have zero ability to dry except for on paper. Even then the quality of the grain coming off tough will not likely be blendable with the dryer grain that was taken off earlier in the year, unless it all gets shipped to port as a #2 at best...

In 2016 I seen guys out here that lost huge amounts of grain to spoilage, and I would imagine that it is going to repeat. A couple cases in point, was one individual who let between 20-25000 bu physically rot in a pile before he managed to salvage a couple super b's of feed out of it. Another let a 35-40,000 bu pile of durum go nearly completely to waste except for a couple super b's that got shipped as feed.

It's shaking up to be a disaster... Considering crop input prices, and commodity prices, there's going to be some immense pressure placed on people, families, and communities.

Comment

Comment

Some people are done around here...even some of the bigger farms are done. Some more would be done if they didn't seed flax or soybeans. But there are still lots of people not done...with only a little left or a third to a quarter of their acres left.

The time might come that plan A, B and C are exhausted and time for plan D. I am still "hopeful" that most people, all over, will get the chance they need to finish or get damn close. But even for us, there comes a time the "situation" will have to be looked at realistically and not delusionally "hopeful".

Best of luck to everyone not done(neither are we). Work and be safe.

Comment

I’m starting to believe we will not get all this crop off.

We are going to take the best 16 quarters of canola first then work on the rest. Two wheat the geese can eat.

It’s a shit show as we got up to a 1/2 in again in wet snow moisture.

So for soil moisture we are back

For harvest we’re F$&ked I think

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
              Some people are done around here...even some of the bigger farms are done. Some more would be done if they didn't seed flax or soybeans. But there are still lots of people not done...with only a little left or a third to a quarter of their acres left.

The time might come that plan A, B and C are exhausted and time for plan D. I am still "hopeful" that most people, all over, will get the chance they need to finish or get damn close. But even for us, there comes a time the "situation" will have to be looked at realistically and not delusionally "hopeful".

Well said.

30 % done and being October 5th, still hanging on to "hope" but yes your right there will come a time here where you will have to be realistic and not do something stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post

Another year were LESS turns out to be BETTER, less rain, less snow, less smoke...
                thinking if not able to dry/store safely, best to leave over winter, lose half, collect insurance on unsaleable green seed, than lose all in rotting bin fulls after all the effort and expense. In 2009 even 20% + canola dried TWICE still spoiled! Make the best, most profit, least stressful decisions. Everyone has his own situation. Stay sane and safe.

Comment

Most would have 60-70% done around me here. Mostly canola and flax out still.

Only reason things have progressed that much is the gianormous amount of lentil acres that went in. So they are off in August but cant move them along with the bushels held from the year before. Another problem entirely.

Which is worse, be done and cant move it or crop in the field they will take right away.

Comment

Apparently the BIGGEST operation, 18000 acres or so, is done in a day or two. Ten 690's, 1500 acres per day! 1000Bu/ hour drier helps. A finely tuned well oiled operation from an observer. Oh and SOLD the swathers, 100% straight cut canola, oats and wheat.

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
                      Most would have 60-70% done around me here. Mostly canola and flax out still.

Only reason things have progressed that much is the gianormous amount of lentil acres that went in. So they are off in August but cant move them along with the bushels held from the year before. Another problem entirely.

Which is worse, be done and cant move it or crop in the field they will take right away.
                      Are you kidding me?????? which is worse?????????? is that even a questions?

As i sit here with 70 % of my crop out and look out my window at 7 inches of snow its a pretty easy answer.

Comment

Originally posted by HappyFarmer View Post
                        Are you kidding me?????? which is worse?????????? is that even a questions?

As i sit here with 70 % of my crop out and look out my window at 7 inches of snow its a pretty easy answer.
                        In other news dairy farmers await cheques, guaranteed to make money each and every year regardless of market conditions.

Comment

Originally posted by sk_wheatking View Post
                          In other news dairy farmers await cheques, guaranteed to make money each and every year regardless of market conditions.
                          Cows aren't the only things getting milked then.!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by sk_wheatking View Post
                            and guaranteed to make money no matter the weather...sweet gig when you think of it ...full government support..

Harper committed 4.3 billion....Trudeau will guarantee more...

Meanwhile saskpulse and pulsecanada boards won't even consider asking for help for the pulse sector...
                            Last edited by bucket; Oct 5, 2018, 14:24.

Comment

I cant believe you guys dont have big driers.
                              i sure hope the weather turns

I hope it dries for you

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.