• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Snowfall Warning

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Snowfall Warning

10-15 cms.
    West Central Sask
    F%>K

We're in a Winter Storm Warning here... f***. Is freezing rain worse than snow for bringing down a crop? Thinking i'd rather take the snow than an ice storm?

"Heavy snowfall has begun over parts of central Alberta. The heaviest snow is expected to fall between Stettler and Oyen overnight. Snowfall will begin to abate Saturday afternoon as the system moves eastward. 15 to 20 cm of snow is expected.

Southern sections of the Coronation region are also expected to see freezing rain overnight and early Saturday."

Comment

Originally posted by helmsdale View Post
      We're in a Winter Storm Warning here... f***. Is freezing rain worse than snow for bringing down a crop? Thinking i'd rather take the snow than an ice storm?

"Heavy snowfall has begun over parts of central Alberta. The heaviest snow is expected to fall between Stettler and Oyen overnight. Snowfall will begin to abate Saturday afternoon as the system moves eastward. 15 to 20 cm of snow is expected.

Southern sections of the Coronation region are also expected to see freezing rain overnight and early Saturday."
      It is really demoralizing. Want to do the work, look after your farm and finances better and get kicked in the gut by the weather. Know what you are going through...2016 had 14 inches of snow that took a month to get back in the field to harvest 25% percent moisture everything....only to then leave 30% out for to finish in spring 2017. It may get us here too before we are done. I think the hurricane has sucked Western Canada into this hideous weather pattern.

Our support and encouragement to all those caught in this sick weather system.

Comment

We were working outside just after dark, it was snowing so hard, and accumulating, that it was burying tools in a few minutes. Frozen fingers in wet gloves.

Thanks to having no precipitation all summer, we had almost no lodged crops earlier this fall, was looking forward to an easy quick harvest. After the first snow, the crops faired not badly, just a few down spots, the second put large areas of cereals down, but mostly not flat. Canola gets flatter by the day. Will see what this amount of heavy snow on wet plants accomplishes by tomorrow. I suppose the bright side is that if this is winter here to stay, the flat canola pod shatter canola might just survive the winter now. The wheat survived the winter of 16 with almost no losses.

Comment

We are half way between Red Deer and Stettler, looks like about 4 inches of snow so far and still snowing. We are only 25% done wheat and canola still to do. Left most of the canola standing will have to see how it looks. Funny how we spend money on sectional control, fertilizer, fungicides, trying to optimize our yields but Mother Nature always determines what goes in the bin!

Comment

Guys this has happened before.

I remember Dad with his 55 combines harvesting in October and the wheat and oats and barley were flat on the ground and he had to harvest on an angle south then lift dump and drive back to the other side of the field and go again. Had some kind of lifter. I think it was 1966.

It's farming in Canada what is really sick is the Useless Sask Ag and Food that's saying oh no problems the Harvest is so far ahead of last year it's not funny.

Fools and yes I called them fools.

Heavy wet snow can F#$K up a good day any day.

Click image for larger version

Name:	maxresdefault.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	766729

Comment

Yup it’s hapened before ...... getting very tiered of hearing that over the past three weeks .
              Yup the last time this happened , land was not $400,000 1/4 , machinery prices were virtually non existent compared to today , inputs were 1/2 or less. But hey it all worked out back then , I am sure it will again . Point is the financial stress is about 10x now.
              Not much a guy can do about it , there will be a shot at getting some done. Wether it’s 10 days or 20 days we will see as there is no forecasts out there reliable past 3 days . Even this snow yesterday, all that was called for was scattered flurries........ but I guess it don’t matter .
              Just take er day by day now.

Comment

Well according to Grainmillers in Yorkton cereal crops in Saskatchewan are pretty much wrapped up except the north is a LITTLE behind. News Flash. It's not a small area who have most of their cereal crop out west and north side of Saskatchewan.

Comment

Originally posted by grefer View Post
                  Well according to Grainmillers in Yorkton cereal crops in Saskatchewan are pretty much wrapped up except the north is a LITTLE behind. News Flash. It's not a small area who have most of their cereal crop out west and north side of Saskatchewan.
                  Are they seriously that ignorant???
                  There is still 90% of the cereals out in over 1/3 of western Canada..... most likely higher that’s that when looking at yields and volume .. and the cereal crop in that area won’t be touched in general for 10 days at least with of without driers .
                  Lol , oh well I guess “they” know better lol

Comment

A friend north of Yorkton that is usually way done by now and doing other shit still has 7000 acres left. Ah, they have like 13 or more combines. Shitty weather is the shitty weather.

Furrow the snow was that deep. WOW, that will take some warm weather to get rid of.

Hear in Regina a steady rain all night farm had two heavy shots.

Comment

Trees are incredibly heavy with ice this morning. Lots of branches laying on the ground. Never seen "this" before in September. Waiting for the vehicle to nuke the ice off the doors and windows then I guess I'll go see if the crop is still standing.

Comment

About four inches here. Very scared to go out and look at my crops, the way the trees are hanging. As furrow said, too much hangs in the balance these days. Was supposed to be flurries. Riiiighht...

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
                          Are they seriously that ignorant???
                          There is still 90% of the cereals out in over 1/3 of western Canada..... most likely higher that’s that when looking at yields and volume .. and the cereal crop in that area won’t be touched in general for 10 days at least with of without driers .
                          Lol , oh well I guess “they” know better lol
                          Yep.I am afraid they were serious. It's all about talking the market down as I see it. Don't worry be happy. Keep saying it and maybe you will believe it.

Comment

Originally posted by grefer View Post
                            Here in the south there’s still 20-25% cereals left out. I thought only the news people were morons.
                            So far we’ve had 1.3 inches since the keys were turned off in the combines. I’m trying to think what day that was already. Thankfully no snow!!
                            All the best to the ones who have had snow. Been through that!!
                            Furrow that truck in the snow is disheartening to look at.

Comment

Wind is getting up here now. Still misting and freezing. Tree branches snapping off. Standing crops just barely higher than the stubble beside it for now. Hoping the wind doesn't completely flatten then when they are this heavy.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...