• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canola rotations

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canola rotations

Been very successful in growing a wheat/canola rotation for the last 30 years but tired of growing wheat which requires over 50% of my time and almost as much financial contribution with only 35-40% of net income. Been toying with the idea of growing only canola on a canola/summerfallow rotation but was wondering if this rotation would have any negative effects to the one I was previously following. My reasoning is that my canola would be seeded in a more timely fashion and I could tweak my production skills to achieve a 15-20% increase in yield, less wear and tear on machinery, and make my life a bit easier. I'm 68 years old, don't need the cash but would like to keep farming as long as I'm healthy physically and mentally. Rented out 40% of my land base so downsized enough that the present machinery is more than enough to what is presently does. Labour availability is by far my biggest issue and that's why I'm considering this option. Any thoughts good or bad?

Originally posted by lesmt View Post
    Any thoughts good or bad?
    Well to be honest both those rotations are a problem.

Our success in canola is going to eventually come to an end with rotations being pushed like that. I dont know if summerfallow can keep clubroot in check. Probably nobody is doing it.

Comment

Better be "chem fallow".

Mother Nature intended to always have something growing on the land, fallow? Yikes.

Rent more out?

Comment

I have the same issue with labour. Thinking third fallow though. I either need to downsize or go bigger and I've been there and screw that. My idea is oats canola fallow. I'm 43 so I'm young but 4000 acres and no reliable help. Have 5 people including my 17 yr old niece (best operator out of them all) but nobody every day at 8am let alone 6 and is only at harvest. Keep a cereal in the rotation imo as wheat is the strongest market out of all of them. It didn't take the hit this summer and there's good things ahead because of euro Aussie weather

Comment

There is a neighbor “hobby” farm 200 acres. They are on their 9th consecutive canola crop. Plenty of 3 in a row on rented land and one farm 4 in a row for sure. The sky is the limit.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbyfrmr View Post
            There is a neighbor “hobby” farm 200 acres. They are on their 9th consecutive canola crop. Plenty of 3 in a row on rented land and one farm 4 in a row for sure. The sky is the limit.
            A BTO in this area is 100% canola this year. The only thing rotating are tires.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbyfrmr View Post
              Streaming contracts involved?

Comment

Originally posted by Oliver88 View Post
                Streaming contracts involved?
                No, they have day jobs and the canola is a good bonus.

Comment

Guys farming in the Garden of Eden growing 70-80 bu/ac @ $6.75-7.00 gotta be making money growing wheat.

Poor yeilds and prices and I consider growing wheat like making summerfallow anyway....something to grow between the specialty crops.

I guess you might also want to ask yourself what your reaction would be if your tenants had the kinds of rotations you're describing...but its your dirt and your business.

Comment

Maybe these ‘farmers’ want to really ‘rotate’ quickly Farmaholic! Like maybe into early retirement. How do you know what ‘rotate’ really means? It means different things to different people. Can you imagine what ‘rotate’ means to Trump or Trudeau or Billy Clinton?

Comment

SDG. Trump, Trudeau and Clinton are politicians....they spin shit, not rotate.

Comment

Ya everyone lets push canola rotations till we kill that market like the pulse market. Might book some canola on monday, 10 aint all that bad because I think it could go to 7.

Comment

....in parts of the semi arid plains of Western Canada, producers might have a better chance of being more profitable growing a lower input spring wheat or durum crop than an expensive canola crop. Canola isn't as drought resilient as wheat!

Comment

Originally posted by wiseguy
                            Canola on canola looks better than the canola on wheat stubble !
                            Like soy on soy, peas on peas, or god forbid the ultimate cash cow wheat on wheat. It only gets better!

Comment

Originally posted by helmsdale View Post
                              Like soy on soy, peas on peas, or god forbid the ultimate cash cow wheat on wheat. It only gets better!
                              My thoughts too. Large profits to be had with wheat on wheat. Don’t understand why guys have to grow a bunch of canola sheesh! Even better continuous oats or barley.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...