• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Crop Yields

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
    At the end all crops will be 20% lower than last year on average across Western Canada. As far as yields / ac average
    JMO
    Not around here because last year's yield's sucked if people are honest. We will be up from last year in this area. Last years crop was overstated in many places as well.

Comment

Originally posted by ajl View Post
      Old timers all have 5 or 6 year old grain in their bins around here.
      Obviously they've never calculated cost of carry.... fwiw take cash price x int x .083 (1/12 months) add commercial storage costs (basis appreciation) equals cost per month. So for example $12 Canola could have been had in March or April, what's going rate on interest? 5% ? So 12x.05x.083= $.0498 per month add the basis difference what's that amount to? $.10 ? So it costs $.1498/month using today's prices. 5 years ago was 2013 likely 2012 crop and $12 Was there then .... so 60 months @ $.1498/ month = $8.988/ bushel in cost of carry/opportunity cost. I'm not saying what they are doing is wrong, it's not my moola. But sitting for 5 years has cost them just about all it was worth today. There's other options. They are likely not breaking even today if it's wheat. Is a totally different game with zero debt I understand that but if you lose a bin .... $20/ bushel likely won't cover it. I struggle to understand the desire to have birthday cake for grain. Sell the seasonal in March April and be done
      Last edited by macdon02; Aug 18, 2018, 00:27.

Comment

Those old guys have no debt are playing and bank accounts with cash they simply don’t care.

Comment

Driest areas ,good land ,lots of peas running23-30. . The odd ones 40
          My first one 27 and another in beach sand yesterday ,13.
          Expecting from 30 to40 on the rest.
          Better land ,later seeded , and more
          Rain

Comment

I will say that most times storing grain multi-years is a bad habit but consider this:

Dec 05 canola was selling for 4.50/bu
            Feb 08 canola was selling for 14.30/bu. We contracted some for June del for 15.40/bu

Old timers never ever forget such times

Comment

Finished peas yesterday, very happy and thankful with the results considering the year. Starting lentils today, no idea what to expect. Heard a neighbour with large greens going 15, I have small greens. I have 15 bu/ac contracted so hoping at least to fill it.

Comment

Originally posted by sawfly1 View Post
                Rain
                Sounds very close to the numbers east of here . The odd one better . As you get to HWY 4 and west there will be a few 50’s but overall still down on average a good 20% over last year .

Hopefully get into our first peas today.
                Had one with root rot , one was good .

Comment

Might start peas today we had issues with viper so delayed yield will be less than last year like every one else.

It’s not 2017 boys overall.

Early barley is 20% less than last year in our area.

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
                    Sounds very close to the numbers east of here . The odd one better . As you get to HWY 4 and west there will be a few 50’s but overall still down on average a good 20% over last year .

Hopefully get into our first peas today.
                    Had one with root rot , one was good .
                    First field surprised me ,,, second field looked better but is a disappointment...spotty rains 4 miles apart can make a huge difference ...

Comment

I know of one farm whose lentils averaged 10. Most in that area would have likely been in that range, at current prices that’s hardly equivalent to $100 ac. Some are paying that in cash rent.
                      Could be an interesting fall.

Comment

Originally posted by sawfly1 View Post
                        Rain
                        Where we farm , ( NW of Maple Creek) Peas did an honest 25bpa (had hail on july 2nd) , moved over to triticale , and it is making 28 bpa on pea stubble, and summerfallow trit looks real good. Durum crop if it makes 25 avg I will be surprised. Not complaining too much , but nobody around my area is going to have a crop that is a record bin buster. Learning to do more with less seems to be the trend , and I am happy that I'm not making payments on a new combine right now!

Comment

Originally posted by GALAXIE500 View Post
                          Where we farm , ( NW of Maple Creek) Peas did an honest 25bpa (had hail on july 2nd) , moved over to triticale , and it is making 28 bpa on pea stubble, and summerfallow trit looks real good. Durum crop if it makes 25 avg I will be surprised. Not complaining too much , but nobody around my area is going to have a crop that is a record bin buster. Learning to do more with less seems to be the trend , and I am happy that I'm not making payments on a new combine right now!
                          I have said this many times.....6000 bushels of wheat bought a 750 massey in 1975 for 36000....today 60000 bushels wouldn't buy you a new one...

60000bushels at 25bpa is 2400 acres ...Interesting times coming for sure....

The only thing that hasn't kept pace is the price of our commodities....eventually someone will have to realize its not sustainable...

Oh and I forgot....6000 bushels today won't make the lease payment...

Comment

The durum crop on our farm is terrible. Low of 15 bu an acre where we missed most of the rains. Looks like a crop insurance payment on durum for me this year. One field of durum made a record on my farm for the worst yield ever.

Comment

Heard of peas anywhere from 10 to 35 in pretty big area around here. 2 years ago over 60.

Comment

Originally posted by bigzee View Post
                                And SK3 has this crop well below average. 🤣
                                I was told by a broker there are small green lentils running 40-60. So yes it’s a disaster.
                                I don’t believe brokers they’re just trying to get you to sell. Might be a few 40’s around but I’ve heard of a lot more in the teens so far on lentils.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...
                                X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                                You agree to our and by clicking I agree.