Pea Harvest

Commodity Marketing

Tools

Pea Harvest

farmaholic's Avatar Aug 6, 2018 | 21:52 1 Growing season started out too dry but peas established well in spite of that. Then too much rain at one time and got some sick patches but they never continued to spread. Growing season precip was good but some top pods never filled properly. The disease patches are producing peas but at a large reduction to the good areas of the field. Quality is good....should he done in about 2-3 days...barring any major breakdown.

Bucket says we're not supposed to post yeild results. Reply With Quote
Aug 6, 2018 | 22:01 2 I have trained my kids to say 10 maybe a strong 10 if they are good...thats it....10 bpa is the best yield description you will get from me.... Reply With Quote
Aug 6, 2018 | 22:08 3 Just starting another 1/4 tonight. Yield is average, perhaps back to normal. We were spoiled with the 50-60 bpa years. I think a lot will be in for a reality check this year. Reply With Quote
farmaholic's Avatar Aug 6, 2018 | 22:19 4 There is everything from soup to nuts in this area for yeild prospects, land that hasn't grown peas or at least a long time ago has some fantastic looking stands. Then there is a young guy who rented a field that I doubt will pay both expenses and rent, he better be in Crop Insurance. ...and everything in between.

It is a dream straight combining these peas...they're still standing. Nothing worse than peeling lodged peas off wet ground. We've harvested peas in some pretty tough conditions. Feeling greatful. Two of our neighbors have swathed theirs...yikes, wind blown peas aren't fun either or are wet heavy swaths. We've experienced both, now opt to straight cut. Reply With Quote
Aug 6, 2018 | 22:20 5
Quote Originally Posted by FarmerSmuck View Post
Just starting another 1/4 tonight. Yield is average, perhaps back to normal. We were spoiled with the 50-60 bpa years. I think a lot will be in for a reality check this year.
Cargil experts say bigger pea crop than last year 🤡 Reply With Quote
farmaholic's Avatar Aug 6, 2018 | 22:24 6
Quote Originally Posted by furrowtickler View Post
Cargil experts say bigger pea crop than last year 🤡
This year's pea crop on our farm will be bigger than last year's furrow, but maybe the Provincial average won't be bigger?????? Reply With Quote
LEP
Aug 6, 2018 | 22:31 7 Heard of a 5 bu yield south of Medicine Hat. Average yield likely close to 30 most years. Reply With Quote
Aug 6, 2018 | 22:33 8 My pea crop will be a monster ..... compared to last year. Hope I don’t flood the market. 🤣 Reply With Quote
Aug 6, 2018 | 22:41 9
Quote Originally Posted by farmaholic View Post
This year's pea crop on our farm will be bigger than last year's furrow, but maybe the Provincial average won't be bigger??????
There will be spots for sure , but overall pea yields will be off 15-20% imo
Yield around Wilkie last year were 70-80
Be lots of 35’s this year .
This area 40-50’s , this year 30-40’s . Reply With Quote
farmaholic's Avatar Aug 6, 2018 | 23:03 10 Ok everyone...greens or yellows?

Rider green here...lol Reply With Quote
Aug 6, 2018 | 23:06 11
Cargil experts say bigger pea crop than last year 🤡
They say that every year so we should be at 200 bushels an acre. Hahahaha Reply With Quote
Aug 7, 2018 | 06:53 12
There will be spots for sure , but overall pea yields will be off 15-20% imo
Yield around Wilkie last year were 70-80
Be lots of 35’s this year .
This area 40-50’s , this year 30-40’s .
I would think this is accurate for our area as well furrow. Reply With Quote
SASKFARMER3's Avatar Aug 7, 2018 | 06:59 13 Our peas will suck this year thanks to the useless chemical Viper, rep won’t discuss have spots not sprayed just done with assure will yield double.

They all can sell but when something doesn’t work crickets.

Some big dogs are doing the peas south of valley 30 to 40% less than average.

Our area will be 27% less than normal on peas. Reply With Quote
Aug 7, 2018 | 07:29 14 My yield is down 35-40% from last year. Reply With Quote
Aug 7, 2018 | 09:04 15 What are actual pea yields for those of you who harvested already? No need to be worried about being judged....everyone try’s for top returns and the weather determines the final outcome.....it is what it is. Just interesting to know what yields people are getting and how much rain the crop got during the growing season.

Also price for yellows and greens? What are people hearing?
Last edited by Crestliner; Aug 7, 2018 at 09:07.
Aug 7, 2018 | 11:16 16
Quote Originally Posted by Crestliner View Post
What are actual pea yields for those of you who harvested already? No need to be worried about being judged....everyone try’s for top returns and the weather determines the final outcome.....it is what it is. Just interesting to know what yields people are getting and how much rain the crop got during the growing season.

Also price for yellows and greens? What are people hearing?
Nothing off here yet , further south and west the combines will be going this week .
Reports I hear from SW Sask are dismal for the most part .
A small strip , relative to Western Canada , west of here will have very big pea yields.... Cutknife areaand North , with yields diminished going both east and west of there .
Our peas will be sprayed off after the small heat wave , probably by weekend. Reply With Quote
SASKFARMER3's Avatar Aug 7, 2018 | 11:31 17 South valley 40 or just a shade higher and lower
. Last 10 years almost double

Redblentils 25 Reply With Quote
GDR
Aug 7, 2018 | 15:20 18 I don't grow grain peas so no expert but we put 1100kms on in Southern AB over the weekend and lots of peas coming off down there, all seemed to be standing real good wasn't sure if that is lower yielding or just less disease. Looked like decent stands from the road.

Saw one field of lentils off and a few guys doing wheat. Not sure I saw any real good canola fields. Even the irrigated land didn't look as good as it usually does.

Looks to be fair amount of cereals going up as bales or silage, not sure but suspect more than normal due to dry conditions. Reply With Quote
Aug 8, 2018 | 06:10 19 Good morning all. Here where I farm (nw of Maple Creek) my yellow peas are running anywhere from a high of 33 bpa down to the low 20's ( hail on July 2nd). nice sample , but not impressed with the kochia and thistles

Checked the yellow pea prices posted on the Northern Ag Network , and the have prices in North Dakota and Montana listed at $7.50- $11.25 !

Of course up here our prices are nowhere near that! Why would we have a good price ? Reply With Quote
Aug 8, 2018 | 06:14 20
Quote Originally Posted by GALAXIE500 View Post
Good morning all. Here where I farm (nw of Maple Creek) my yellow peas are running anywhere from a high of 33 bpa down to the low 20's ( hail on July 2nd). nice sample , but not impressed with the kochia and thistles

Checked the yellow pea prices posted on the Northern Ag Network , and the have prices in North Dakota and Montana listed at $7.50- $11.25 !

Of course up here our prices are nowhere near that! Why would we have a good price ?
Can you sell into that market? You have the advantage of being closer to it than a lot of farmers. Reply With Quote
SASKFARMER3's Avatar Aug 8, 2018 | 06:27 21 Is that in USA dollars or canadian Reply With Quote
farmaholic's Avatar Aug 8, 2018 | 06:36 22 Larry Weber might be able to clear up the price question. He pointed out to me one time a price quote was per CWT(hundred weight)

Larry? Reply With Quote
Aug 8, 2018 | 07:12 23
Larry Weber might be able to clear up the price question. He pointed out to me one time a price quote was per CWT(hundred weight)

Larry?
But what did your peas yield? We all want to know? Reply With Quote
farmaholic's Avatar Aug 8, 2018 | 07:20 24
Quote Originally Posted by Casered View Post
But what did your peas yield? We all want to know?
Bucket says no revelations....

Ghetto yeilds! My disappointment/satisfaction are directly proportionate to my expectations.

Edit.... not playing hard to get Casered.... I can personal message you with results if I knew you weren't a wolf in sheep's clothes (an Industry plant.....LOL)
Last edited by farmaholic; Aug 8, 2018 at 07:25.
Aug 8, 2018 | 07:22 25
Bucket says no revelations....

Ghetto yeilds! My disappointment/satisfaction are directly proportionate to my expectations.
Thats a great answer.... Reply With Quote
Aug 8, 2018 | 07:55 26 Besides what the fuck does it matter what the yield is ...not a lot of market opportunities to sell them other than at a loss.

25 bpa at 6 bucks isn't a money maker ....

I know you guys can make it up on volume while losing on every bushel... Reply With Quote