• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Keep your fire extinguishers handy, harvest is coming

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keep your fire extinguishers handy, harvest is coming

Well, for the second day in a row we helped a neighbor and the fire department fight fire on a hayfield.

Keep the water truck full and the tractor hooked to the disc. It's almost harvest.

We are mounting a pump and firehose on our water tanker and mounting a homebuilt firefighting setup on the cart.

Unless we get alot more rain it is going to be dangerous.

Good idea thanks for the heads up....last year the guy that cuts hay for me was starting fires in what looked like to be grass green hay....the discbine was starting them regularly ...then a lightning strike to boot started something in an abandoned yard...days watching it.

Comment

I heard recently that Fire departments are using and recommending leaf blowers to put fires out.

Comment

It sounds like discbines on rocky fields can be fire hazards.

Comment

Originally posted by LEP View Post
          Well, for the second day in a row we helped a neighbor and the fire department fight fire on a hayfield.

Keep the water truck full and the tractor hooked to the disc. It's almost harvest.

We are mounting a pump and firehose on our water tanker and mounting a homebuilt firefighting setup on the cart.

Unless we get alot more rain it is going to be dangerous.
          Great ideas, everyone should keep this in mind.

Comment

Originally posted by workboots View Post
            I heard recently that Fire departments are using and recommending leaf blowers to put fires out.
            I heard the same thing. Would of thought it would have the opposite effect.

Comment

We have laws and a harvest code of conduct.

Every harvestor must have a water fire extinguisher and foam extinghuiser mounted on combine. usually somewere near steps.

A fire fighting unit of 1000 lt must be in paddock at all times either on a trailer or back of a ute/pick up.

Fire extinguisher mounted on augers.

A shovel mounted on harvestors as well.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capturehv.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	766610

Harvesting should cease when wind speed exceeds the centre figures hope you can get you head around it.
              Insurance companies go by it now, not law but may as well be

Comment

Try this one full attachment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capturehv2.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	766611

Comment

basically in my spot its "one out all out policy"

a few phone call radio chat on days of extyreme weather, you harvesting today nope then another says nope then nobody does or on windy days call my come over radio when you pulling the pin might say already then others will followe

Comment

We have an old 4 wheel drive and a 12' Rome disk that follows the combines around. We have had to use it twice in the past few years. Once in a neighbours field and once in ours. Without it things would have been far uglier.

Comment

When harvesting lentils there has to be a "manned" fire unit in paddock at all times whilst harvest is happening of lentils.....err that should be "manned or womanned" i guess.

Other guys have mounted self activating foam extingiushers in engine bays once a certain temp is reached they go off and fill engine area with foam never heard of any going off accidently

Comment

Originally posted by malleefarmer View Post
                        When harvesting lentils there has to be a "manned" fire unit in paddock at all times whilst harvest is happening of lentils.....err that should be "manned or womanned" i guess.

Other guys have mounted self activating foam extingiushers in engine bays once a certain temp is reached they go off and fill engine area with foam never heard of any going off accidently
                        It’s “peopled” Mallee. #welcometo2018

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                        • Return to Topic List
                        Working...