• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fire logs

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fire logs

These are neat for cooking... or for just a fire in the evening.

Made supper tonight... Cast iron pan, bean & beet veggies with onion, chives and herbs fresh from the garden, chicken, and sliced butter potatoes. All home grown, chickens from one of our neighbours who trades rolled grain for birds.

All cooked on two logs. Then had nice fire most of the evening... This is how we relax.

And it's green cooking and eating. Want my family to know how to survive if shit hits the fan and modern conveniences disappear.

Click image for larger version

Name:	37976057_10157620025984689_5730608282746224640_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	778081

Name:	torch1.jpg
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	778082

Name:	torch2.jpg
Size:	8.5 KB
ID:	778083

GM fellow Agrivillers, Sumdum is waking up in an ultra-modern room in Paris this morning, flew here on an (Spanish maybe) airline called Veuling, heading to Monaco to celebrate 47 th. anniversary. First time we’ve seen a TV project electronically from an IPad on the wall. Everything in the room is touch, the mirror, the shower, even toilet butt washer. Though we were in London for four days, there were hardly any English-speaking people along the way. We left disappointing London - glad to blow that cookie factory. France has always been enjoyable for us. Our decendents imigrated to La Prairie just outside Montreal City from Arnes, France in about 1740 so we may get close to that area this time. The last grave with our name at Arnes is dated 1845 so no use looking for lost relatives or inheritences there. LOL

About the log- We bought a log like that in Montana last year just to show grandkids. It is home-made and sold in a grocery store. The centre is cut criss-cross and filled with some type of wax, must be fire starter. It has a jute rope handle stapled to top for carrying. Some Smartguy has a great sideline making those - good job!. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Klause View Post
      These are neat for cooking... or for just a fire in the evening.

Made supper tonight... Cast iron pan, bean & beet veggies with onion, chives and herbs fresh from the garden, chicken, and sliced butter potatoes. All home grown, chickens from one of our neighbours who trades rolled grain for birds.

All cooked on two logs. Then had nice fire most of the evening... This is how we relax.

And it's green cooking and eating. Want my family to know how to survive if shit hits the fan and modern conveniences disappear.

[ATTACH]3184[/ATTACH]
      [ATTACH]3185[/ATTACH]
      [ATTACH]3186[/ATTACH]
      Nice Klause! If shit hits the fan or you mean when?

Comment

Originally posted by biglentil View Post
        Nice Klause! If shit hits the fan or you mean when?
        Self sufficiency and know how are great things, but do you really think we are in for a dystopian society? Its been around for a few thousand years now. Maybe the economic system is a weak point.

Anyway if it does happen you wont have time for log cooking. You will be too busy shooting the hordes trying to get to your bins.

Comment

If the grid goes down and SHTF most preppers advise needing to survive for 3 days. You can't carry a fire log easily in a backpack though. Better to have matches in a waterproof package and know how to start a fire. Better yet to to learn fire making with no matches.

Comment

In a shtf event a fire is a great way to alert others to your presence. Many of us could go weeks if not months without any food at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Braveheart View Post
              If the grid goes down and SHTF most preppers advise needing to survive for 3 days. You can't carry a fire log easily in a backpack though. Better to have matches in a waterproof package and know how to start a fire. Better yet to to learn fire making with no matches.
              Can I be in your "prepper" camp Braveheart? I will and can pull my weight. If I'm in the "Preppy" camp I'm sure to perish with them and we will see their "social network" dissolve into a quagmire of disorganized violent primal survival instincts.

Comment

You're in like Flynn. What skills do you bring? Blacksmithing? Tactical abilities with firearms or hand to hand? Trade and negotiating? Hunting/gathering? Mechanics?

Comment

When I was 4 or so... A big panic hit. Grocery stores completely empty power and gas shut off.

Our hot water came from a black tank on the roof. We cooked with wood fire, backed our own and had our own meat.

Lasted a few weeks.

I don't remember it other than a bit about it being fun "camping".

Flint, water purification packets, a good rifle, axe, sharp hunting knives, tent, clothing.

It's a matter of feeling slightly in control and being able to deal with a situation that *hopefully* never happens

I wonder if something did happen... How many city people would venture out of their cities and look for food fuel or shelter?

Nowadays there's a big population portion that doesn't even know where their food comes from, or that wood is a fuel source.

Comment

Ah Klause, you're a prepper I agree, there would be panic in cities.

We have had a fall power outage (ice storm) that lasted 3 days and nights. We heated and cooked with our wood fireplace. We drew water to flush toilets. We also have this Berkey water purification thing for drinking water. It was localized sowe didn't have to defend the castle.

Funniest was a German immigrant that had been here two months went to town and came home with flats of Evian water to flush the toilet with. It would have been cheaper to use gasoline.

Comment

Originally posted by Klause View Post
                      When I was 4 or so... A big panic hit. Grocery stores completely empty power and gas shut off.

Our hot water came from a black tank on the roof. We cooked with wood fire, backed our own and had our own meat.

Lasted a few weeks.

I don't remember it other than a bit about it being fun "camping".

Flint, water purification packets, a good rifle, axe, sharp hunting knives, tent, clothing.

It's a matter of feeling slightly in control and being able to deal with a situation that *hopefully* never happens

I wonder if something did happen... How many city people would venture out of their cities and look for food fuel or shelter?

Nowadays there's a big population portion that doesn't even know where their food comes from, or that wood is a fuel source.
                      All of them, my friend and I talk about this all the time. Picture the same scenario you described but in Saskatoon, it scares the shit out of me to speculate what it would be like. My step daughter and I get into some heated debates when I tell her we are just one extreme event away from being like South Africa with roving city dwellers and other "self entitled" demographics that literally could not survive without access to food, water, money and of all their precious social media. I do believe we would be shooting people on our doorsteps that would be coming for what we have.

Comment

I don’t see any saw cuts in your pictures of your “Canadian Candle”, what did you use to hollow out the centre?

Comment

Wouldnt one wheat harvest give you enough heating fuel and food for the rest of your lifetime?

Yeah the city guys would be totally f'd. Most of them cant even cut their grass.

Comment

Originally posted by biglentil View Post
                            In a shtf event a fire is a great way to alert others to your presence. Many of us could go weeks if not months without any food at all.
                            Interesting supposition. What food source are you thinking about?

We have likely a year's supply of food in the deep freeze. But depending on the event, it will be spoiled in less than a week.

Canned goods are the ticket. And a ton of work.

The Amish and Old Order Mennonites around us would be in about the best position to survive.

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                            Can I be in your "prepper" camp Braveheart? I will and can pull my weight. If I'm in the "Preppy" camp I'm sure to perish with them and we will see their "social network" dissolve into a quagmire of disorganized violent primal survival instincts.
                            It would/will? be far uglier than most of us can imagine.

Flee to the mountains and hope your flight is not in winter...

Comment

You're in like Flynn. What skills do you bring? Blacksmithing? Tactical abilities with firearms or hand to hand? Trade and negotiating? Hunting/gathering? Mechanics?
                              Comic relief in the face of adversity...think Monty Python.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...