• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Harvest 2018 ...

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Harvest 2018 ...

I would imagine that combines will be rolling shortly with drought conditions in the Sw part of Sask and far southern Alberta?

I heard they were desiccating lentils midweek, east of Outlook. Not a good sign when you desiccate in July.

Comment

Seen a fellow from bow island going on peas last week. Short, poor yield, small seed size. Some lentils being dessicated by in-laws that will be hard pressed to make 10... There's nothing there, but they were put on land that burned off late last fall, held zero snow over winter, and blew to the hard-pan in places this spring. The earliest results are likely to be the worst.

Peas are probably 2/3 to 3/4 color change here, with mostly low spots, water runs, and west facing hill slopes that held alot of snow still hanging on. Just filling top pods in those spots, so likely mid august i can start poking a header into it. Durum is going to be a struggle. Most of the fields are turning quite well, with the odd spot still hanging on, but the challenging aspect comes from a plethora of new stools that are just flowering right now... Could swath it right away and cut the stools off, or do I wait for them to come in? Stuff that's close to ready to be swathed, or about 2.5 weeks away from straight cutting would likely make a 1, but from what i've seen in the past, late durum stools generally produce small pie-balled kernels. Should a guy wait for them, given there is ample soil moisture at the moment and hope for more bushels, but possibly a lower overall grade, or cut them off and take less bushels, but higher quality?

Comment

Expect to see both barley and winter wheat swathed or dessicated this week.
        First time for barley to be even with or ahead of winter wheat in maturity.
        A toss up which yields better in bushels per acre.
        Happy with anything over 65.

Comment

From what I’ve been hearing durum as taken a beating. Talking with a friend today he said he knows someone with a field that is two beer cans high. With no sub soil to hold the crops green harvest will be on full alert, and most combines won’t be ready to take it off. There’s a lot of farmers (myself included) who can understand how fast things are turning. Guess that’s due to no sub soil or lack of.
          The trade will call it an average crop no matter how many dry areas there are.

Comment

Traditional durum growing areas in the prairies look to me to have been on life support nearly all growing year. Areas i've travelled have crops you can see through at 1/2 a mile, and then 3 or 4 miles down the road are average to possibly just slightly above average looking stands. Definitely not a universally good or poor crop. Who knows where the "average" will settle out. Anyone have any idea how durum is looking in montana and north dakota? The price would seem to indicate that we are the only ones that are having even the slightest bit of trouble... While CWRS has been moving up, CWAD has been sliding at the locations I pay attention to.

Comment

Well I took a different way home from the lake and I am calling farm link the biggest joke and people who pay these fools are getting taken advantage of.

Heat is causing oats fields along highway 16 to turn white.

Wheat had white spots all over the place.

Canola is ok in some spots and sick looking in others. Flower blast on late crop drive south to Regina and yield is dropping.

We have another week of 28 to 34 in Saskatchewan.

Harvest will be early which might be a positive if frost came in August.

A rain now for some the crop would change in days.

Yep it’s a bin buster. Drove by a guys farm with four shinny new 50000 look great.

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER3 View Post
                Drove by a guys farm with four shinny new 50000 look great.
                Is that the new tall, narrow type? a cross between shiny and skinny?

Comment

Finally after 3 bad years

Good crops in the north peace

Comment

Oh grass our useless fool.

Comment

A tweet fro Kiev...Click image for larger version

Name:	036.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	766604

Milling Wheat glut GONE

Comment

they must have applied manipulator to keep it standing....so it sprouted standing it looks like.

Comment

@JGLGrain reporting yields on yellow peas near moose jaw of 30-60bu/ac? Haven't been through that neighborhood. Possible? Definitely haven't seen many if any pea crops north of 35bu/ac in my travels.

Comment

That 60 bu/ac yield was "reported" by bucket! He's far too humble to brag about it...the ****er.

Edit....those are his dryland yields....the irrigated ones aren't ready yet!
                            Last edited by farmaholic; Jul 30, 2018, 22:05.

Comment

Originally posted by helmsdale View Post
                              @JGLGrain reporting yields on yellow peas near moose jaw of 30-60bu/ac? Haven't been through that neighborhood. Possible? Definitely haven't seen many if any pea crops north of 35bu/ac in my travels.
                              Lol lol lol

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...