• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Trailing farm-saved seed contracts"

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Trailing farm-saved seed contracts"

Interesting article in the last Western Producer on how seed breeders want to get some returns out of farmer's use of their farm raised seed. So apparently when we buy a protected seed variety we will have to sign a contract that might require us to either pay a royalty per pound on what we seed or on a per acre basis. Keep in mind this is all in the proposal stage but I have no doubt it is coming. What are everybody's thoughts?

Well let's see....R&D got a good portion of the new CAP money.....someone been getting the freight overcharging. .....and I pay a checkoff on every ****ing bushel I sell that mostly goes to developing new protected varieties....

And I paid for the flax breeders ****up a few years ago as well..

Does that answer the question....

Btw where is this so called ROI on all this ?
    Last edited by bucket; Jul 27, 2018, 08:37.

Comment

You can thank Stephen and Gerry for this Great move to "help" Farmers

Anybody who says our previous fed govt had Producers best interest in mind is full of ###t

Comment

I guess this would tie in to why a bunch of standard wheat varieties got delisted and farmers conditioned to paying for new seed.....

Good thing the CGC is on board with helping those that already receive our checkoff funding and a good share of our CAP money....

Comment

Maybe it is time to apply for the check-off dollars back. Help offset the extra costs.

Comment

Tom4cwb has been a huge supporter of this for at least 3 years ..... one of the reasons he bailed on here ... some of us called him out .
            This is not going away . The cost of seed with cereals is about to go up 2-4 X at least.
            Thank Tom and his supporters

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
              Maybe it is time to apply for the check-off dollars back. Help offset the extra costs.
              Get your Canola form by phoning in, SaskWheat is on line. Must be received by Aug 31 or you are SOL

Comment

Where are our farm groups? APAS saskwheat etc etc,,, Our minister of AG...

Major downloading of costs again.
                Last edited by bucket; Jul 28, 2018, 08:38.

Comment

Originally posted by fjlip View Post
                  Get your Canola form by phoning in, SaskWheat is on line. Must be received by Aug 31 or you are SOL
                  I'm getting writer's cramp!

Let's see,

Sask Wheat
                  Sask Canola
                  Sask Barley
                  Sask Oats
                  Sask Pulse
                  Sask Flax
                  Sask winter cereal
                  Sask Mustard
                  Sask Canary

Did I miss any?

Comment

Can someone post the download link for the saskwheat refund form. They sure do a good job of hiding it on their website!

Comment

http://saskwheat.ca/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/Sask-Wheat-Refund-Request-2017-18.pdf http://saskwheat.ca/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/Sask-Wheat-Refund-Request-2017-18.pdf

Comment

Manitoba pulse doesn't post refund procedure on their website . You must apply for a refund form twice a year.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamloc View Post
                          Interesting article in the last Western Producer on how seed breeders want to get some returns out of farmer's use of their farm raised seed. So apparently when we buy a protected seed variety we will have to sign a contract that might require us to either pay a royalty per pound on what we seed or on a per acre basis. Keep in mind this is all in the proposal stage but I have no doubt it is coming. What are everybody's thoughts?
                          Greedy bastards.
                          Another example of things that are wrong with the industry.

Comment

Originally posted by Oliver88 View Post
                            Greedy bastards.
                            Another example of things that are wrong with the industry.
                            ****...I can't believe it O88, you took the thoughts right out of my mind....those were the exact two words I was going to post earlier today.

It's almost hard to believe to what depth the Industry will sink. Is there no shame in unfettered Capitalism. No guilt?

UPOV91..."the right for Producers to use farm saved seed...."at an additional cost to the original purchase"?

Do you have to send Sony a cheque every year to continue watching the tv they built? Do you pay the auto makers a yearly fee to drive the vehicle you bought?

Where does this horse shit end?

So does that mean you might have to give them money to use farm saved seed AND pay royalties upon delivery of the grain you grew? The first part seems to be a stretch...and hard to police. But if they float the idea of doing both but only enforce delivery royalties you will think you got a "deal".

But I do want to add two more words to my original thought...

**** OFF greedy bastards.
                            Last edited by farmaholic; Jul 27, 2018, 22:14.

Comment

s

How do seed growers claim the rights? Farmers and governments have paid for the research. Buzz off!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.