• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Only Alberta beef

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Only Alberta beef

Dissappointed to see report of Calgary co-operatives advertising “only Alberta beef”.
    Seems to be opposite to idea of free markets and free trade.
    Wonder what the story is on out of province feeder cattle?

Given there is nothing for slaughter capacity in SK or MB probably safe to say it's all AB beef as most is fed, and all is slaughtered there.

Comment

Originally posted by Hopalong View Post
      Dissappointed to see report of Calgary co-operatives advertising “only Alberta beef”.
      Seems to be opposite to idea of free markets and free trade.
      Wonder what the story is on out of province feeder cattle?
      I see your point, the "Alberta Beef" slogan if you can call it that has been used for as long as I can remember. Pre BSE McDonald's did a lot of advertising that way, they've started again but think they call it Canadian beef now. Marketing your product is important but no point in adding provincial trade barriers. We've discussed here before too about the Angus beef campaigns and I don't like that either.

As far as Calgary co-op is concerned they are very, very good at promoting locally raised products. Friend of mine supplies them with tomatoes and if you go into any of there stores there is a life size cut out of him and his family along with a bio next to the tomatoes. I respect there local attitude and some history or info behind the products. Don't know how many stores they have but quite a few, we shop at one in Airdrie sometimes so they are not just in Calgary.

Comment

If there's a chance of making a few extra pennies on a brand, then someone is going to do it.

There are a lot of stores here that have a set amount of cooler display case dedicated to "Ontario Corn Fed" beef. It is going long enough now that it's safe to say that it is established and seems to be working well. There is a production/feeding protocol to follow with some opportunity for a premium.

Not in it, so don't know the details.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
        • Return to Topic List
        Working...
        X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
        You agree to our and by clicking I agree.