• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wheat

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wheat

GASC/Egypt tender tomorrow i think price and origin both intriguing.

Wheat futures are continuing to rebound from lows hit earlier this month, with much of the strength coming from world production downgrades. The benchmark Chicago market touched its highest in six weeks on Monday (before retreating to close slightly lower) amid continued concerns that dry weather in the EU and Black Sea Region will lead to smaller crops in some of the world’s main exporting countries.

Comment

Look at the carry in the MGEX over a year out....60 cents.

Comments please

Comment

One interpretation would be that no one is worried about protein and spring wheat supplies right now.
        As soon as it was known that the HRW crop would have improved protein this year the premium disappeared and the carry increased.

I look at the carry as a discount for immediate movement. And the carry relates to how much there is in it to store. Not sure I'd be willing to store wheat over a year for 60 cents, even if it is USD

Comment

Originally posted by farming101 View Post
          One interpretation would be that no one is worried about protein and spring wheat supplies right now.
          As soon as it was known that the HRW crop would have improved protein this year the premium disappeared and the carry increased.

I look at the carry as a discount for immediate movement. And the carry relates to how much there is in it to store. Not sure I'd be willing to store wheat over a year for 60 cents, even if it is USD
          June/July 2019....falls into my marketing timeframe unless something good comes up in the meantime.

Edit..."new crop" of course.
          Last edited by farmaholic; Jul 24, 2018, 12:57.

Comment

No cheap way to profit off the carry that far out and still leave options open.

Best to buy MWZ18 around 5.67 or so and take on some risk. It'll be a texas hedge soon enough!
            Live large!

Not a recommendation DYODD

Comment

Maybe cheaper to buy a crop on the market than grow one????

Comment

Some attractive basis levels out there as well. Lock in basis and leave futures open could be an option z

Comment

All turns to shit when you dont make grade and you cant sell your grain and have to pay out your
                  worthless paper.

Comment

RP has a 15 cents bushel premium on now..wow...same price as last Dec...

Comment

Cargill .25 cents any month almost 7 April.

Oh how they dangle ahead of the fact the crop is small and the world wheat crop is smaller.

Comment

MGEX spring wheat up sharply before the market opens...

Some carry lost.

I'm hoping for a quality harvest.... it is way easier selling high quality wheat than poor quality....now show me the money.

If the futures market can hold on to these gains, suspect some of it will be lost, er I mean taken in the basis as harvest pressure mounts....
                        Last edited by farmaholic; Jul 25, 2018, 07:05.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                          If the futures market can hold on to these gains, suspect some of it will be lost, er I mean taken in the basis as harvest pressure mounts....
                          That is one thing you can be sure of....
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	SK wheat prices and basis.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	766581

Comment

Originally posted by makar View Post
                            All turns to shit when you dont make grade and you cant sell your grain and have to pay out your
                            worthless paper.
                            Having to pay it out includes the lesson that paper isn't always worthless.

Comment

Minneapolis wheat up 27 cents.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...