• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Markets are starting to realize

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Markets are starting to realize

Australian wheat crop 2018 could fall as low of 13 MMT, lowest since 2008,if it remains dry over next couple of months as forecasts predict-Profarmer Australia-@ReutersAg
    ABARES @ 21.9 MMT
    USDA @ 22 MMT vs. a decade-low of 21.2 MMT in 2017

Do i think this will happen doubt it but just right at this moment july 24th its a toss of a coin job 50/50 but i just cant see it staying dry over most of naustralia for next 6 to 8 weeks but if it does holy hell

Well this is downright depressing...

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/silence-of-the-lambs-nsw-farmer-to-shoot-starving-flock-because-he-cant-afford-to-feed-him/news-story/f6058ccab099d53bae619fec55187ebb https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/silence-of-the-lambs-nsw-farmer-to-shoot-starving-flock-because-he-cant-afford-to-feed-him/news-story/f6058ccab099d53bae619fec55187ebb

Comment

Originally posted by helmsdale View Post

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/silence-of-the-lambs-nsw-farmer-to-shoot-starving-flock-because-he-cant-afford-to-feed-him/news-story/f6058ccab099d53bae619fec55187ebb https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/silence-of-the-lambs-nsw-farmer-to-shoot-starving-flock-because-he-cant-afford-to-feed-him/news-story/f6058ccab099d53bae619fec55187ebb
      I can't imagine.
      Grain farming is a tough gig but in drought livestock is even tougher.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
        I can't imagine.
        Grain farming is a tough gig but in drought livestock is even tougher.
        try both

Comment

Originally posted by malleefarmer View Post
          try both
          We had cattle at one time, in fact they were a part of this farm for the greatest part of it's existence. But I don't miss them!....we "culled" our way out of them. Actually, the only one I miss was the one that ended up in the deep freeze.

Comment

Our house changes from current 4 to 10 or 12 at the drop of a hat.

Thank goodness for farm killed meat and a freezer full.

PS currently have a addition to the house a german 15 yr old here till dec going to local school bit of a culkture shock gooing to a school of 130 students in total 5 yr olds up to 17 yr olds

Comment

Originally posted by helmsdale View Post

I don’t intend for this to come across as mean or condescending but rather as a simple question.

I’ve never understood why someone would hang on to livestock if they don’t have feed for them? There have been people in our area do that in the past and they were either cruel or had untreated mental issues.

If you look at it from strictly a financial view then as soon as the animals start losing condition then you’re losing money and they better go town or find feed for them. Selling the herd off or downsizing significantly isn’t fun........it’s been done once here for health reasons.

To leave things get bad enough that a box of bullets is the only option left just doesn’t make sense to me

P.S. There is currently 500 pairs and that many yearlings here and every last one would be on a truck out of here before they go hungry. I find putting down a diseased or injured animal to be hardest part of the job since we put so much effort into keeping them healthy.

Comment

can see your point.

currently im running about 2/3 normal number of stock.

I reduced cropping by about 30% but of that 30% i sowed feed on about half of it vetchand oats mix if that makes sense so i made changes 2 months ago being pro active rather than reactive

will post some stock pics in afew minutes

the guys in that comes comes across as a bit of a "gomer pyle"

Comment

White is average green is better brown is shitze
                  edit thats the vegatation index
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	37723454_10212288781643146_6216812831354912768_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	766580

Comment

Maybe he was hopeful the rains would return. I wouldn't want to walk even a half a city block in his shoes let alone a country mile!

Comment

The price of that prime rib is going to be pretty dear.

Comment

Cows were work and no money. We had corals ,windbreaks ,shelters .
                        Should have had hills valleys and trees.
                        I was a terrible cowboy

Comment

Originally posted by sawfly1 View Post
                          Cows were work and no money. We had corals ,windbreaks ,shelters .
                          Should have had hills valleys and trees.
                          I was a terrible cowboy
                          Tell me about it, I don't own a horse or a 10 gallon hat, I can't rope, none of my belts have buckles the size of a dinner plate, my cows are so far from being range cows that they panic if they can't see every other cow across the pasture due to an obstacle or size, I don't even own a stock trailer and a dually diesel. On a positive note, our St. Bernard is learning to be a good cattle chasing dog, not sure if that is a trait they are noted for?

Comment

mixed farming is actually alive and well in oz but mostly sheep

Comment

Took a different drive back went 30 miles west of us and then south through the valley to the city and then around on the highway and back roads to our home.

Yield in an area that usually has some very nice crops will be 25% to 35% less than ours for sure just by pod depth and spikelets on hrs and how it is filling.

Crops are shorter than normal.

One corn half section needs a drink soon very short for corn.

In the bottom of the valley on a really nice field, the oats have white spots. Haven't seen that since the late 80s.

But its a bin buster boys keep telling the world that.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.