• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Farms with employees, how do quads and side by sides fit in with WCB and OH&S rules?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Farms with employees, how do quads and side by sides fit in with WCB and OH&S rules?

Farm in Alberta and the province is just starting to get the WCB and OH&S stuff going for farms, still not finalized on what all the rules are going to be. I have mostly grain crops and a few cows and pasture land. Would like to get a new quad, but wondering how quads and side by sides will work under the new rules. For those living by these rules for the last few years could you please indicate what you do to meet the codes and safety required?

I am thinking that a quad would be a bad purchase right now as it does not have any roll over protection, but they are very handy for chasing cows and the manoverability checking fence. The side by sides have roll over protection, but still do not see them being used in the oil patch here, which has been much heavier regulated until now. Assuming that employees would need a safety course to operate a side by side or a quad, which comes with a cost. Perhaps a used Jeep would be easier to use and less regulated.

With the cost of new side by sides, it would suck to pay the money to buy one and then not be able to use it in 1 year due to govt rules. Again, those operating under these rules, what works for you? I like the atv/utv for checking crops and seeing if low spots are dry enough to seed etc.

On another note, grain bins are going to be classified as confined spaces in the future (as I understand it). That makes it hard to unload flat bottom bins without a lot of extra people, so should a person be thinking hopper bins instead if looking towards grain storage for the next 25 years? Again, I am lead to believe that Ontario and Saskatchewan have been on these rules for years now. Not sure about Manitoba rules for workers.

They can put in rules all they want but if the rollover protection isn't adequate ....what's the point....

My daughter rolled the gator ....the rollover protection crumpled like a cheap suit....tin foil.....and when that happened a helmet or seat belt wouldn't help.

Comment

Regarding the rules for atv/sxs, no safety course is needed, just wear your helmet (both) and seatbelt (in sxs). The courses are an industry in themselves and are not mandatory (but may be company policy).

Grain bins: it is a real shit show. Read this:
      https://www.mynsightonline.com/articles/compliance/entry-permits-grain-bins-vs-confined-spaces

Yes hoppers are the way to go unless you want the big diameter bins.

Comment

We had to write safety policy for ATV's for the oilfield company I worked for. What we did was if ATV use was required during the day, then anyone using them had to sign off on the safe work practice at the morning safety meeting. The Safe Work Practice listed all the do's and don'ts, plus pretrip inspection, and required PPE ( personal Protective Equipment). For many other machines an employee had to be either deemed competent by a superior to use it, or had to have taken an in house training course in it's operation before they could operate it. I don't think ATV's were on that list, but probably are by now.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. It does not sound like a side by side is any better or safer than an atv. Good to know.

Right now I dont use helmets on my atv for checking cows and fence. Probably should, but the headache of finding helmets that go on/off quickly and figuring out where to store it between uses so it is handy, clean, dry and available has been a problem. For those of you using your atv/sxs and leaving them all over the place when you move machinery or vehicles, what do you do with the hemets?

Comment

side by side

A buddy of mine just passed away. The side by side he was riding in blew a front tire and rolled on him. r.i.p Ken Wood

Comment

Originally posted by ALLFARMER View Post
              A buddy of mine just passed away. The side by side he was riding in blew a front tire and rolled on him. r.i.p Ken Wood
              Wow sorry to hear that allfarmer. I see all these new recreational vehicles get crazier and crazier and it makes me cringe. Back in the day I was jaw dropped by a 250cc 25hp atv. Now every snow mobile, quad and jet ski needs at least 150hp+ To even turn a head. Call me old school, I can take it...but it is unnecessary and dangerous.

RIP KEN

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...