• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Existing Canadian provisions enough to protect farmers! I laugh and laugh and Cry!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Isn't there a big truck driver strike on in India now?

We replaced railways with trucks in this country as well....created a whole new set of environmental issues barbie can't figure out.....

One super b of feed grain trucked to the west coast is too many ...environmentally speaking.

Backwards....
    Last edited by bucket; Jul 23, 2018, 09:59.

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
      We replaced railways with trucks in this country as well....created a whole new set of environmental issues barbie can't figure out.....
      What about exporting raw lumber to china and having their landfill ready garbage furniture come back here?

NAFTA is a joke - trump is right. Autos cross the border 7 times before being completed. How nuts is that?

Comment

Well fellow farmers and chuck chuck, help is here -

https://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/agririsk-initiatives-program-is-now-available-under-the-canadian-agricultural-partnership-688761121.html https://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/agririsk-initiatives-program-is-now-available-under-the-canadian-agricultural-partnership-688761121.html

How much investment value or trickle-down would you predict that this will have?

Comment

Unless they copy the US farm policy to some extent .....my guess is that small farms, no matter the wealth, will be held by investors.....

No young person in right mind would take on the debt without a reasonable return for their hard work after watching their parents struggle....and why would they....

That news release is insane.

Comment

Its odd...steel companies get committed funding because of steel tariffs but wait a second ...the price of steel went up?????

western canadian farmers get a pulse tariff imposed and the price of lentils and peas drop to half of 2016 prices and .....wait for it....no commitment from government to help out by either ending the tariff or covering losses......

steel good....farming bad....funny though ...farmers support the steel industries judging by the machinery on farms....say what?????

the dumb****led farmer...tm.

No doubt in my mind - this BS government should have counter-tarriffed all East Indian imports, but No Drama boy decided to perform in Indian garb for the world (such a joyous occasion)!

Comment

No young person in right mind would take on the debt without a reasonable return for their hard work after watching their parents struggle....and why would they....
              Most of the time I really do wonder if I am of sound mind or not... Quite the world.

Comment

Unless they copy the US farm policy to some extent .....my guess is that small farms, no matter the wealth, will be held by investors.....

That news release is insane.
                This is a real issue.

I have lived on this original 100 ac.farm here in mid-western Ontario for 54 years. Dad bought it in 64 for $10,500. I bought it from him in 84 for $100,000.

Now it's worth way more than 10X that amount.

None of our 4 kids think they can afford to take it over even at a sharply reduced price. And if we sell it cheaper to one of them, what do we do for the others? There's only so much to go around and fairness does seem rather important.

Next question - with the regulations and taxation rules biting harder every day what is the next generation going to find?

And since we have only a relatively small acreage, is it even worth their while to take it over?

Was discussing with our one son the ugly red ink we saw a pen full of steers we shipped back in the spring. He said, "There's really not much sense in farming, is there." Statement made. He's an electrician in partnership with our oldest son.

Tough call, I'm finding, and I think I want to let someone else take it on...

Comment

As far as the Indian pulse issue, IMO its gonna take a draw down in the Indian pulse stocks to allow much for imports of what we used to see. The way I see it the Indian govt has done a extremely poor job in trying to manipulate markets domestically. It is my understanding that Indian farmers have not seen great increases in prices since imports have been severely restricted.
                  Overly protectionist policy will rarely do what is intended. US users of steel and aluminum are seeing this firsthand.

Comment

Is Turkey still filling the Indian market?

Comment

Originally posted by burnt View Post
                      And since we have only a relatively small acreage, is it even worth their while to take it over?
                      burnt, on that size of a farm here in the west, not even one person could make a living on it. Your boys would need to each buy another quarter or two to make that viable.

There are other ways. Since they are partners in business, they could run the place part time. One can cover for the other. Also, knowing the costs of housing in Ontario, they could just eventually live on the place. That is a huge saving right there.

Comment

There are lots of ways to hit back at foreign belligerents without touching the commodity. Did you know that canada and the US issue hundreds of thousands foreign travel and student visas? Foreign students take up spaces in our universities and tech schools. Thousands of chinese and east indian families travel to canada every year. And work visas are issued for foreign labour to come here. Could all be shut down with a stroke of a pen.

Comment

Originally posted by sumdumguy View Post
                          Is Turkey still filling the Indian market?
                          Turkey is a major clearing house for trade into the middle east. They technically don't fill India's needs by themselves, but they trade pulses from the Eurasian and middle-eastern countries.

For India to need Canada, or more importantly, for pulses from Canada to be viable trading into Turkey, you'd need peas in the $5s and lentils under $0.14 for reds.

We're seeing pea bids plummet... I've been saying this since May... Hate to say I told ya'll so, but I told ya'll so - LOL.

On Beans we're getting shafted now too. Attached to the US market, our beans drop like the US ones because of Chinese trade action.

Currently we're close to $1/bu CAD under Argentine or Brazil prices... You'd think we'd benefit from the trade action against the USA, but not, we're an 'integrated' market, although it only works on the way down it seems never on the way up.

Currently wheat prices in Argentina as of today work out to $8.55/bu for red winter wheat. Worked down to producer NET about $7.80/bu

The more you know about the world markets and grain bids, the more disgusted you become with our lack of a functioning arbitrage or trade system.

I said it once, I'll say it again - this trade war, the biggest looser and the biggest pain will be felt here - not in China, and not in the USA.

Comment

Originally posted by Klause View Post
                            I said it once, I'll say it again - this trade war, the biggest looser and the biggest pain will be felt here - not in China, and not in the USA.
                            I agree. We are integrated into the big players markets, but we are small potatoes in the trade so we will get bucked. best thing is to move away from the volatile commodities. Canola could hook up with oil again which has been rise and we own that trade and more people could be coming for **** instead of soy.

One thing to consider, is that after this trade stuff works its way through these system, soft commodities can be very elastic and we could see a price bounce from it all. Sometimes the contrarian position pays.

Comment

Originally posted by Klause View Post
                              For India to need Canada, or more importantly, for pulses from Canada to be viable trading into Turkey, you'd need peas in the $5s and lentils under $0.14 for reds.

We're seeing pea bids plummet... I've been saying this since May... Hate to say I told ya'll so, but I told ya'll so - LOL.
                              Western Canada is on the cusp of harvesting the pea crop...probably part of your explanation of slumping pea prices.

I've seen bids of $8 for greens lately but I don't expect they'll stay there with harvest pressure knocking on the door.

Comment

Trump has announced $12 billion payment to farmers to help weather out the tariff storm.

Interesting to see what our federal government reaction is once Trudeau gets off holidays.....although Trudeau will be busy defending terrorism once he’s working again.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...