• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any machinists out there? I need advice

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any machinists out there? I need advice

Looking at getting into running a lathe. Want one for turning down shafts, making bushings etc. Nothing fancy. Have 10+ machine shops within 20 min so need something to mess around with more than anything. If any of you run one what do you have and how big is good for the farm, and what kind of tooling is needed to get going? I’ve read lots but getting some farmer opinions might be better.

You will want over at least a 40 inch bed and as big a hole in the spindle as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by makar View Post
      You will want over at least a 40 inch bed and as big a hole in the spindle as possible.
      Agreed, that hole through the spindle is never big enough.

Comment

That’s on the drive or tailstock?

Comment

Drive, so you can stick a six foot shaft in a four foot lathe.

Comment

A good quick change toolpost setup, a slide for key cutting, and a grinder would be my choice attachments
            Agree on the other comments too

Comment

Sweet. Thanks for the info

Comment

The tooling is expensive. You'll easily spend as much on tooling as you do initially on the lathe. If you can find a good used unit complete with tooling give that a serious look. Quick change gearbox and quick change toolpost would be my top "must haves". And a big hole through the headstock but that's already been mentioned. Look up DoubleBoost on Youtube and watch some of his videos - in addition to being really informative he's also good entertainment.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                • Return to Topic List
                Working...