• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yesterdays dust storm

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yesterdays dust storm

About 100 kms away we didnt have it quite as bad.

Those of you who know vcictoria horsham apparently 112 kmh winds

Some locals still plough and cultivate before seeding other use kelly disc chain utter devastation for them and yep no rain in sight shaping up as worst year ever for many myself just below average may be alot below average depending on what happens in next 2 months.

ps those of you who follow bulla burra its near them

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/wild-dust-storm-in-sa-video-by-emma-water-via-mid-north-storms/video/383dea35788d539388e533b0202d92ba

Not sure if this will work?

https://www.facebook.com/7NewsAdelaide/videos/sheep-formations-%22praying%22-for-rain/2043846495645995/

Comment

Are Australian farmers worried about the predictions of a hotter and drier climate for the already driest continent? From what I have seen many regions are seeing multi year droughts that are not going away. Without getting into politics what are Australian farmer's views on climate change?

Comment

A benchmark or measuring stick of summer heat used to be how many days above 30 degrees celsius we used to get in the summer. Are there more days in Western Canada above thirty than there used to be?

I hate excessive heat(I even like a "cooler" vehicle temp in the winter). What is alarming is a severe sunburn can be compared to a first degree burn...that's harsh environmental conditions to live in.

Comment

You just need a carbon tax and voila dust storms gone. Here in Alberta, climate is now perfect all the time since we have a carbon tax. It works.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckChuck View Post
            Are Australian farmers worried about the predictions of a hotter and drier climate for the already driest continent? From what I have seen many regions are seeing multi year droughts that are not going away. Without getting into politics what are Australian farmer's views on climate change?
            Omg ,,, you are so full of shit

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
              A benchmark or measuring stick of summer heat used to be how many days above 30 degrees celsius we used to get in the summer. Are there more days in Western Canada above thirty than there used to be?

I hate excessive heat(I even like a "cooler" vehicle temp in the winter). What is alarming is a severe sunburn can be compared to a first degree burn...that's harsh environmental conditions to live in.
              This year for sure there are more days above 30C. But one year does not tell the story. The longer term trend is a more important sign.

But our summers are mild compared to many parts of Australia and the SW USA.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post

Great question, which gets completely ignored by Chuck and his side, since the answer is inconvenient to their narrative. This is from Murray Hartman's presentation on 110 years of Lacombe research station weather records. I highly recommend going to see him if he presents it again.

Click image for larger version

Name:	July.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	16.6 KB
ID:	766557

Click image for larger version

Name:	Greater than 30.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	15.2 KB
ID:	766558

June and August are similar.

A quick synopsis, and if I may paraphrase Murray, by all measures, favourable weather for growing crops has improved by all measures at this station and in this time frame.
                Last edited by AlbertaFarmer5; Jul 18, 2018, 11:13.

Comment

i never get into pointless climate change debates
                  All theory on both sides very little fact.

Climate is always changing appears in our area rainfall is actually increasing but distribution has changed more in the summer and autumn rather than traditional winter spring.

Another big blow today sigh

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
                    Great question, which gets completely ignored by Chuck and his side, since the answer is inconvenient to their narrative. This is from Murray Hartman's presentation on 110 years of Lacombe research station weather records. I highly recommend going to see him if he presents it again.

[ATTACH]3110[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]3111[/ATTACH]

June and August are similar.

A quick synopsis, and if I may paraphrase Murray, by all measures, favourable weather for growing crops has improved by all measures at this station and in this time frame.
                    The graphs are too small to easily read. But it looks like average maximums are trending down and average lows are trending up? Is this correct? I did see on line he says that the growing season is 1 month longer on average than 110 years ago. So that is a significant improvement and certainly an advantage. If the frost free season is getting longer, can that occur without a warming climate? What is Hartman's position on human caused climate change? I see he was calling for more agricultural research on adaptation to a changing climate.

Comment

The graphs are too small to easily read. But it looks like average maximums are trending down and average lows are trending up? Is this correct? I did see on line he says that the growing season is 1 month longer on average than 110 years ago. So that is a significant improvement and certainly an advantage. If the frost free season is getting longer, can that occur without a warming climate? What is Hartman's position on human caused climate change? I see he was calling for more agricultural research on adaptation to a changing climate.
                      During his presentation, and talking to him after, Murray didn't express any opinion either way on climate change, he kept it to the facts, and kept it apolitical, which is refreshing.

And to your credit Chuck, I am pleasantly surprised to see you acknowledge my inconvenient post. Now regardless of causation, and without invoking climate models, can you please show me why I should be alarmed about climate change.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
                        During his presentation, and talking to him after, Murray didn't express any opinion either way on climate change, he kept it to the facts, and kept it apolitical, which is refreshing.

And to your credit Chuck, I am pleasantly surprised to see you acknowledge my inconvenient post. Now regardless of causation, and without invoking climate models, can you please show me why I should be alarmed about climate change.
                        I don't have a lot of time at the moment. I know you are an intelligent thoughtful guy as you put extra effort into good posts. However the temperature data from Lacombe is interesting but it doesn't tell the whole story about climate change on a global scale. As you probably know, many areas of the world are experiencing much more dramatic climate change. The arctic for example. The oceans have absorbed alot of warming. Sea levels are rising due to melting ice mass and expansion due to warming. We are only seeing the beginning of what will be relatively rapid change that could lead to catastrophic warming with severe consequences for many coastal cities. The point is, regardless, of what is happening in Lacombe this issue goes beyond your situation. If you want to understand what the implications are there is much to read on the internet. Whether you believe it or not, is up to you

Comment

You can believe sea levels are rising according to many publications if you want. Or you can travel the world and see for yourself that the sea levels haven't risen dramatically. From new Zealand Africa south and central America four hundred year old ports have not been affected. Now newer developments in questionable areas now that's a different story. You pay your dollar you take your chances.

Comment

I don't have a lot of time at the moment. I know you are an intelligent thoughtful guy as you put extra effort into good posts. However the temperature data from Lacombe is interesting but it doesn't tell the whole story about climate change on a global scale.
                            Actually, the reason why Murray chose Lacombe is because it is one of the few weather stations still in it's original habitat, to not experience urbanization, or having been moved. Check for yourself how many other stations fit those criteria.
                            As you probably know, many areas of the world are experiencing much more dramatic climate change. The arctic for example. The oceans have absorbed alot of warming. Sea levels are rising due to melting ice mass and expansion due to warming.
                            We have been through this before, sea level rise is what happens during interglacials, acceleration would indicate something unusual, that is not the case.

We are only seeing the beginning of what will be relatively rapid change that could lead to catastrophic warming with severe consequences for many coastal cities.
                            As usual, you just proved that you can't make the catastrophic case, without invoking models of what is going to happen. Using here and now real world evidence, and current trends just doesn't support the catastrophic case.
                            The point is, regardless, of what is happening in Lacombe this issue goes beyond your situation. If you want to understand what the implications are there is much to read on the internet. Whether you believe it or not, is up to you
                            And, as usual, you use the word believe. I don't believe in science, I look at evidence and draw logical conclusions. Believe is not a part of the scientific process.
                            Last edited by AlbertaFarmer5; Jul 20, 2018, 10:42.

Comment

Sorry to hear about your soil loss Mallee.
                              Wienerville becoming like tastebuds on an asshole with the climate diahrea.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...