• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canola Flowering, wow,,,,

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canola Flowering, wow,,,,

,,,,that was quick. I think someone else mentioned on this last week, about the canola not blooming so long this year. Looks here like two weeks max of full bloom, rather than the accustomed 3 weeks we've been getting the last number of years. There has been no shortage of moisture in our area this year, so is it just the heat? Last week they were forecasting moderating temps for this week coming up, now the forecast is showing the heat back. If that's the case, there won't be any yellow left in our fields by weeks end. Can't tell yet whether the canola just grew faster and is still making the same number of pods as it would have, if it bloomed full for 3 weeks? or whether this is really hurting yield?

Haven't seen canola start and end full bloom this quickly since the eighties. But back then, we didn't have water laying in our fields like we do this year !

What are the rest of you seeing?

Originally posted by beaverdam View Post
    ,,,,that was quick. I think someone else mentioned on this last week, about the canola not blooming so long this year. Looks here like two weeks max of full bloom, rather than the accustomed 3 weeks we've been getting the last number of years. There has been no shortage of moisture in our area this year, so is it just the heat? Last week they were forecasting moderating temps for this week coming up, now the forecast is showing the heat back. If that's the case, there won't be any yellow left in our fields by weeks end. Can't tell yet whether the canola just grew faster and is still making the same number of pods as it would have, if it bloomed full for 3 weeks? or whether this is really hurting yield?

Haven't seen canola start and end full bloom this quickly since the eighties. But back then, we didn't have water laying in our fields like we do this year !

What are the rest of you seeing?
    Manitoba 2008 Hot and windy. Canola flowered for 10ish days. Grew 6' tall (lots of water).

Straw and swaths like a 60BPA crop. Ran 18.

Were in a major water deficit here. Canola west of humboldt, there will be some that won't even get combined.

East, it'll run 20-30. I doubt there's more than an odd field that'll run 40 anywhere around here.

Comment

Canola futures time?

Comment

Stuff blooming on way to Regina first is done. Stuff up north two weeks max, field by old plains hospital no leaves left and done blooming. Yea it’s a bin buster.

Comment

There is lots of canola acres so it will compensate for poorer yields.
          Crops look ok from the road to weyburn..
          Came back through stoughton/grenfell/Melville.. Yorkton.
          Pretty thin west of canora for a bit..
          Average...

Comment

Trade figures crops are fantastic in the nw sk ne ab. Stuff looks decent. However, some places some didn’t flower long. North of Battleford seen a few crops like that. Definitely ahead of my area but some fields have been flowering a good 2 weeks already with little sign of petal drop yet. Some fields come up so thin they’re filling in and still branching. I wonder if the wind has something to do with it. Seen that before. There will be some fantastic crops but there will be enough average ones too. I don’t think there is any higher percentage of canola than last few years. It’s mostly 50:50 and odd canola snow canola.

Comment

Not sure how things will play out in the immediate area. Crops are looking good to excellent but since this morning canola that was full bloom yesterday looks like it is finishing bloom. I think/hope it is just the wind taking the loose petals off. Haven’t walked out in yet. Don’t ha e to go to far west and some canola looks bad especially the hilltops.

Comment

Drove to saskatoon today. Melfort to wakaw is all canola as gar as the eue can see. Lotsa people betting the farm i would say

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER3 View Post
                  Stuff blooming on way to Regina first is done. Stuff up north two weeks max, field by old plains hospital no leaves left and done blooming. Yea it’s a bin buster.
                  I saw that too this morning coming back from gardens.

Comment

Not just a little canola snow canola.

Comment

60bpa coming!!!
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180710_062046.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	766550

Comment

Some came up really fast went into bloom and is now done. Hot temps, warm nights and no recovery period. Convinced some of these hurricane winds we had have stripped some flowers too. Seems shorter too.

Comment

Belt high on what's coming out of flower. Won't be many 50s printed on the monitor this year

Comment

Klause, if that crop is where you're from, I bet that area isn't used to that kind of crop.

Comment

I seeded everything a 1/2 inch deeper this year and my canola is just starting to flower. Same with the flax. Durum just headed out. Hope that makes the difference because there is no rain in the forecast at all.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.