• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canola Flowering, wow,,,,

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
    Klause, if that crop is where you're from, I bet that area isn't used to that kind of crop.

Yup that's yere

I'm definitely not used to this crap.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180712_112714.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	766551

Comment

Just back from Archerwill to Carrot River, to Nipawin, to PA, then Waskaseiu, to Melfor-Tisdale. All crops are fantastic, a few drown outs. My guess is 60% canola 25% barley rest is wheat and peas. It's real yellow out there! Very close to 90 barley, 65 wheat, 50 canola like last year.

Comment

Its the shortest I have ever saw it bloom this year and I am not sure of the reason. I know the heavy rains hurt it but I have had that lots in the past and it would still bloom three week to a month. I know it never went short of moisture.

The old saying was 10 bu. for ever week of bloom. Maybe that has changed with the new super seeds.

Comment

Ours just started flowering a couple of days ago and my expectations are quite low. I’ve learned after the past few years to count on zero as a yield till it’s been dried and put in the bin. With how late it is I’m confident the grain dryer will still be one of the best investments we’ve made.

Our leaves aren’t a fraction the size of SF3’s leaves 😉

Back in March this was 40’ poplars and now it’s 4inch oats which I think is frickin’ awesome 😎

Still got a couple hundred more acres to “convert “ next winter here

Hauled out the bulls a couple of days ago to start on next years calf crop. They’ve got the life...... only “work” (if you can call it that) for 63 days and lay around till next summer 😉

Comment

Originally posted by fjlip View Post
            Just back from Archerwill to Carrot River, to Nipawin, to PA, then Waskaseiu, to Melfor-Tisdale. All crops are fantastic, a few drown outs. My guess is 60% canola 25% barley rest is wheat and peas. It's real yellow out there! Very close to 90 barley, 65 wheat, 50 canola like last year.
            Agreed that entire area appears to have a lot of potential for a large yield.....lots of yellow in every direction.

Grain companies and the railways should start planning and allocate railcars according......we don’t want any excuses for not moving grain again this winter.

Comment

Woodland....how do you "safely" harvest that fresh breaking without putting wood through your equipment for the next 5-10 years?

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                Woodland....how do you "safely" harvest that fresh breaking without putting wood through your equipment for the next 5-10 years?
                Bovine threshing team?

Comment

Not that I know anything.
                  But neighbor pointed out that last year we had one of the shortest flowerings . Do not know why.
                  Everything ran over 50.
                  So do not panic. Yet

By the way Klaus
                  Welcome to the club.
                  Crops like that are entirely
                  Possible.
                  You have led a charmed life
                  If you have not seen them before
                  Last edited by sawfly1; Jul 15, 2018, 23:49.

Comment

Originally posted by Oliver88 View Post
                    Bovine threshing team?
                    Bingo👍

My four legged self propelled harvesters will turn it into cow chow. We’ll burn the brush piles this winter and a couple more years of grazing and disking will get it smooth enough for pasture. A few rocks to pick/dig out as well.

My mom calls it “free land”. Aside from the D8, fuel bill, and a bunch of time I guess it kinda is😎

Comment

I say get out of your vehicle and walk into fields and check thats better than the 120 km drive by.

Two weeks to three flowering usually gives best results.

10 days is usually shit.

Comment

a lot of it where there is rain is a lack of fert . last 2 years really depleted the land around here . hear canola has been blooming 3 1/2 weeks still going strong . L230 won't go as long . looks like 130 lbs N won't cut it this year
                        Last edited by Guest; Jul 16, 2018, 07:48.

Comment

Originally posted by woodland View Post
                          Bingo👍

My four legged self propelled harvesters will turn it into cow chow. We’ll burn the brush piles this winter and a couple more years of grazing and disking will get it smooth enough for pasture. A few rocks to pick/dig out as well.

My mom calls it “free land”. Aside from the D8, fuel bill, and a bunch of time I guess it kinda is😎
                          Sweet! We’ve done the same thing as well. Some real rocky stuff we just floated after brushing and helicopter sprayed a year or so later when bush come back.

Comment

good points about the wind causing earlier flower drop, as we certainly been having plenty of wind. Hopefully though, pollination has been successful, maybe the wind will make pollination better than ever.
                            We'll know in a week or two when we can see how it's poding out. Fingers crossed till then.

Comment

Pig shit just starting to flower. Hailed damaged stuff getting a cocktail this evening.

Pig shit.

Slightly damaged tops broken

Comment

Case
                                You mentioned l230 not so good?
                                Any ideas why?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...