So what did the government do......

Commodity Marketing

Tools

So what did the government do......

Jul 11, 2018 | 10:42 1 after the last tragic accident at the intersection where the Bronco bus crash happened to prevent it from happening again?

I get the lawsuit filed but ultimately what was known as a shitty intersection ....what was done to prevent another accident....

Did the cost outweigh the lives taken?

I am not defending anyone here and I have different opinions on the whole thing but ultimately something could have been done in the previous 20 years to prevent another accident.... Reply With Quote
Jul 11, 2018 | 10:54 2
Quote Originally Posted by bucket View Post
after the last tragic accident at the intersection where the Bronco bus crash happened to prevent it from happening again?

I get the lawsuit filed but ultimately what was known as a shitty intersection ....what was done to prevent another accident....

Did the cost outweigh the lives taken?

I am not defending anyone here and I have different opinions on the whole thing but ultimately something could have been done in the previous 20 years to prevent another accident....
There are lots of roads and intersections in this province that are not perfect. The province in no way can afford to make everything perfectly safe. It’s the responsibility of every driver on the road to obey traffic laws and signage . It’s that simple.
It’s people ..... not roads or intersections.
You can’t fix ignorance.... at any cost.
IMO ... just jack up the fines for the people being stupid ... it is what it is Reply With Quote
Jul 11, 2018 | 11:36 3 This idea that the police should be reactive instead of proactive is part of the problem.I asked a detachment CO if "it was not better to spend 20 minutes writing a traffic ticket or hours writing an accident report" and I got no answer..I can drive from here to the Ont. border and never see a police car but cross into Ont. and in the distance from the border to Kenora you will at least one if not more patrol cars. Reply With Quote
Jul 11, 2018 | 12:02 4 I could not believe police are just being trained now to be abĺe to identify drug impaired drivers.As if cause it was not legal so it is not a problem. Reply With Quote
Jul 11, 2018 | 12:13 5 gee bucket, do we need to start erecting STOP signs that are 20' in diameter??? WTH

There was a STOP sign there, with, as I understand, flashing lights! Prior to that, I would expect and I would hope there was a STOP AHEAD sign.

Above all that, there was an obstructed view, which in most every other drivers mind, would cause you to be even more careful and slow down to stop, because of the obstructed view.

The whole basis of safe driving, is to notice, read, understand and respond to the traffic instructions of the road side signs.

Part of the whole distracted driving thought is to stop you from drifting out of your lane, but also to keep you from missing an instructive traffic sign.

I believe the accusation against the driver is that he didn't STOP at the sign.

1) Was it mechanical, was he trying to stop?

2) Was he distracted by something he was doing in the cab of the truck? Was he on his phone? could a duck just have shattered his windshield?

3) Was there an impairment, from drugs or alcohol?

4) Did he intentionally drive through the STOP sign? I don't care what his reason could have been.

How many intersections of this traffic level are there in Sask?
Last edited by beaverdam; Jul 11, 2018 at 12:15.
Jul 11, 2018 | 12:21 6 Sadly you can’t fix stupid
Just drive HWY 4 from NB to Cochin anytime after 4 pm anytime in the summer . It full of stupid people .the HWY is just fine if tragic laws are followed . Reply With Quote
Jul 11, 2018 | 12:24 7 They have done nothing except slow the traffic on highway 35 to 60 through the intersection for about two weeks after the crash. Then they removed the signs away and 35 went back to 100 for the next couple of months. Then for some reason yesterday they brought the 60 signs back out and have slowed down 35 at the intersection.
There has not been anything done with the yard in the corner which has a bunch of dead trees that don't help with visibility.
Last edited by seldomseen; Jul 11, 2018 at 12:39.
Jul 11, 2018 | 12:30 8
Quote Originally Posted by furrowtickler View Post
Sadly you can’t fix stupid
Just drive HWY 4 from NB to Cochin anytime after 4 pm anytime in the summer . It full of stupid people .the HWY is just fine if tragic laws are followed .
I like “tragic laws”. That road is full of idiots and the odd pissed up bugger. Hwy 17 north and south of Lloyd is thunderball alley too. Reply With Quote
Jul 11, 2018 | 12:41 9
Quote Originally Posted by WiltonRanch View Post
I like “tragic laws”. That road is full of idiots and the odd pissed up bugger. Hwy 17 north and south of Lloyd is thunderball alley too.
Ahhhh , ya that be traffic lol Reply With Quote
Jul 11, 2018 | 18:50 10 That yard with the trees, some one should sneak in with a chain saw and fix that problem, if the pr—— won’t do it himself. Reply With Quote
Jul 11, 2018 | 19:01 11
Quote Originally Posted by sumdumguy View Post
That yard with the trees, some one should sneak in with a chain saw and fix that problem, if the pr—— won’t do it himself.
I say the yard needs to be completely removed. I would have to count but there must be a dozen yards for sale on the highway between Tisdale and Nipawin. Just pick one and move!! Reply With Quote
Jul 11, 2018 | 19:06 12 There's been how many deaths and how many accidents there? Could
You imagine if another one happenned?

This isn't just a normal stop the cargil to
North railway short ways to north. Lots going on. Yes he should have stopped but the bus driver would have had time to react a lot quicker if no trees also.

But what are they doing to get these losers off the road that aren't qualified?
How many semi accidents causing death since that one. Way too many. It was a free for all self regulation doesn't work on issues of public safety. A lot
More should have been sued by the families. Reply With Quote
Jul 11, 2018 | 19:35 13 A couple of Mexican speed bumps on the east/west highway would slow down everyone. No going fast over those things. Reply With Quote
Jul 11, 2018 | 19:48 14 no it's all bullshit. furrow has it right . drivers need to wake up . how many accidents has there been at wakaw ? melfort ? anything been done there ? it's got nothing to do with yard ? put the phone away , that'll help? Reply With Quote
Jul 11, 2018 | 21:28 15 So your kid is on the next bus and yes an idiot is barrelling down the road going across and you don't think it would be better if he bus driver has a chance?
No this should
Have been done a long long time ago given all the reports people have said of accidents there. In fact there was a roll over the day before at the tracks. Reply With Quote
Jul 11, 2018 | 21:29 16 Furthermore those trees not there those 16 people likely wouldbehere today you don't think that's worth any price? Reply With Quote
Jul 12, 2018 | 22:14 17 All the bus driver had to do was spot that semi coming full on and slam his brakes and its a miss and every one is alive. No chance to do that with the yard and trees.

All day on the radio talking about more training for truck drivers. A four year old knows what a stop sign is what will more training do!!! Reply With Quote
Partners's Avatar Jul 12, 2018 | 22:30 18
Quote Originally Posted by seldomseen View Post
All the bus driver had to do was spot that semi coming full on and slam his brakes and its a miss and every one is alive. No chance to do that with the yard and trees.

All day on the radio talking about more training for truck drivers. A four year old knows what a stop sign is what will more training do!!!
Correct..

I know the trees are not the real cause..
But if I lived their some would be removed.
Last edited by Partners; Jul 12, 2018 at 22:43.
Jul 12, 2018 | 23:51 19 So you’re gonna blame trees and the yard. Make a man move his home. Maybe just move the road further from the trees. Reply With Quote
Jul 13, 2018 | 00:32 20 I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that govt can't and I don't want them, saving us from ourselves. We had 911 then a bombing in Boston plus umpteen other events even in Ottawa. More shit got passed on 911 and things still happen. Govt is ineffective. They can't save everyone. Now put responsibility back on the individual and maybe... Just maybe. But I can see the call for self driving vehicles and the trucking company suing the province for the trees. Initially I blamed the trees after going through the intersection.... not blowing stop sign just recognizing it's bad. Idk ... but if you think govt can fix every issue you're in for a lifetime of disappointment. They are never proactive but will always "get that guy that hurt you". To react now is a total insult to the lives lost before at the corner....They weren't worth it but hockey players are? It's definitely a tragedy I'm not arguing that. Hopefully everyone pays more attention driving. What if they lower the speed limit to 40km/hr ? There's no iq test for officials
Last edited by macdon02; Jul 13, 2018 at 00:37.
Jul 13, 2018 | 05:32 21 Sight lines should be cleaned up .
Min.50 feet before the ditch.

In western Alberta.there are a lot of 4 way stops where highways meet in the middle of nowhere.
There will always be at some time a sleeping,tired or distracted
Driver. That will blow the sign completely.
All the signs or rumble strips will not stop it.
With the 4 way the bus or anyone
Has the Chance to determine if that might happen.

Until anti collision is built into every vehicle.
You cannot prevent it.
Jailing the truck driver for life will not stop it from happening again. Reply With Quote
Jul 13, 2018 | 05:45 22 Your right sawfly but massive fines for trucking companies alowing unprepared drivers on public hiways , and massive fines for “professional “driver schools not training drivers properly is a must and most likely would prevent a lot Reply With Quote
Jul 13, 2018 | 05:56 23
Quote Originally Posted by caseih View Post
no it's all bullshit. furrow has it right . drivers need to wake up . how many accidents has there been at wakaw ? melfort ? anything been done there ? it's got nothing to do with yard ? put the phone away , that'll help?
Sorry Case I cant agree. It does have something to do with the yard. I agree with Furrow and you in that you cant fix stupid when it comes to drivers sometimes but if you were sitting in the driver's seat of that bus would you not wish you could have seen past those trees. In my part of the world I think of the intersection at Highway 16 and Dalmeny road. There have been numerous deaths and injuries there and no trees but without exception every time I approach that intersection I have my senses at full alert because of stupid drivers but at least I have a chance to stop in time because of no visibility issues. Reply With Quote
Jul 13, 2018 | 23:16 24 Love the sleeping policeman idea like in Mexico. Way better to wreck a vehicle bouncing in to the ditch than what happened there. May have been one fatality, but at least would have been totally by his own hand.
Two fatalities south of Cochin Wednesday night. Sounds like t-boned in the middle of the hwy pulling a u-turn.
Think there is a saying something like “when you are dead, u don’t know it, same as when you’re stupid”
Getting really sad when there is no more responsibility for ones own actions.
Guess when we have a leader saying that gropegate is a lesson for everyone to learn from, instead of taking responsibility for his own action, it is the people who put that asshat there, he never just showed up with the keys in his pocket one day!!!! Reply With Quote