• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Generator shut off

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Generator shut off

We just put a gas generator on a submersible pump to water cattle in stock tank how can a guy have generator shut down when tank full water comes from a water well. We had windmill but wasn't the best way for us thanks

Originally posted by chaser View Post
    We just put a gas generator on a submersible pump to water cattle in stock tank how can a guy have generator shut down when tank full water comes from a water well. We had windmill but wasn't the best way for us thanks
    Just get a float switch, like what you see on most common sump pumps. Can likely get a Rona/Home Hardware/etc. Mount in stock tank, and tie it into the ignition key wires (so off when float is ‘up’).

Comment

Originally posted by Taiga View Post
      Just get a float switch, like what you see on most common sump pumps. Can likely get a Rona/Home Hardware/etc. Mount in stock tank, and tie it into the ignition key wires (so off when float is ‘up’).
      I think that would work but you have to get a PUMP UP switch, not a Pump Down switch (septic type). The floating mercury switch in the pump up works exactly the opposite way of the pump down, so current stops when the trough is full.
      Don't know much about wiring into the ignition...

Comment

I’m no engineer but couldn’t you run a wire from the spark plug to the desired height for the water. When it gets full it grounds out.

Comment

I believe a bilge pump switch used in boats to turn on the pump when water level gets high enough should work for you. You have to look at it in the reverse of normal applications as the generator ignition control grounds out the circuit to shut the motor off so if this switch is wired in series in this circuit and when the water level rises to the top the switch would close completing path to ground.

Here is a link to a catalogue showing a sample of a switch. http://online.fliphtml5.com/jgvg/htrk/#p=201

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
          • Return to Topic List
          Working...
          X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
          You agree to our and by clicking I agree.