• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Keep it Clean!!!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keep it Clean!!!

Hmmm... how long until farm groups are shilling for cash to make a ((documentary)) about the safety of pre harvest gly ?

https://www.albertafarmexpress.ca/2018/06/18/keep-it-clean-warning-producers-not-to-use-glyphosate-as-a-desiccant/?utm_source=GFM+Publications&utm_campaign=fedd5168 cd-Alberta+Farmer+Express+daily+enews+Jun+19%2C+2018& utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_2da8244677-fedd5168cd-88750313

Well, if you just cant get it through your thick skull, "Europe doesn't want Roundup in their food" If a few wreck the market for us all, they should get their asses kicked now.

Comment

Actually Europe just does not want imports. If not glyphosate then they will find something else to block imports. It is the export only mentality that is all over the world and leads to trade wars. You may have heard of that term. Pre harvest roundup is a popular tool around here as it permits straight cutting which all the large farmers do in this area. So in a short season area with high chances of rain at harvest it is very popular and seldom (almost never) is a field in western Canada at the same stage everywhere in the field. Unlikely this practice is going away and Europe will find a way to block our produce no matter what.

Comment

Its not only Europe I for one and a whole lot more don't want your gly in my groceries just so some bunch of greedy bastards can farm half the country. I have never used it except for terminating hay, pasture fields and have made a living at farming for 50yr. A few less acres and a lot less iron ,yea can't find nice and shiny here but you can find functional.

Comment

Originally posted by ajl View Post
          Actually Europe just does not want imports. If not glyphosate then they will find something else to block imports. It is the export only mentality that is all over the world and leads to trade wars. You may have heard of that term. Pre harvest roundup is a popular tool around here as it permits straight cutting which all the large farmers do in this area. So in a short season area with high chances of rain at harvest it is very popular and seldom (almost never) is a field in western Canada at the same stage everywhere in the field. Unlikely this practice is going away and Europe will find a way to block our produce no matter what.
          Yes it cant be done. I am sure Grain Millers cant find oats now either. Dang Europeans have handed out so much cash to there farmers over the years they think they have the right to dictate what they want on their plate. Shameful.

Comment

Originally posted by ajl View Post
            AJL you are probably right about just one excuse on a list of many to ban imports to the EU. Im not sure i agree on the straight cut thing. We just started the last couple years straight cutting so not a pro by any means but have straighcut all our wheat same time frame as a good neighbour friend who thinks the same as you and sprays it all and we have done none. When comparing samples he still has them odd green wet kernels 2 weeks post roundup and moisture seems to test pretty similar so im not convinced.

In a high moisture short season area like we are in not sure straighcutting is that great anyhow. Even last year with the hot dry fall we were shut down by 9pm most nights where swaths were good till midnight.

Comment

Originally posted by grefer View Post
              Yes it cant be done. I am sure Grain Millers cant find oats now either. Dang Europeans have handed out so much cash to there farmers over the years they think they have the right to dictate what they want on their plate. Shameful.
              I detect a hint of sarcasm in that statement.
              North America has an opposite method. Food is so cheap and plentiful in North America that some people are allergic to it!

Comment

We have sprayed HRS and then go 14 days later since 1984. Yes, you harvest different but hey morning you get shit ready then go hard and at 9 you stop. Some Guys go all night then after a few days they get going later and later and later. It helps even the crop out and gets good quality. Kills weeds and yes helps with harvest 100%. Wouldnt goes back. Use to try to straight cut waiting till later in September and still had bins of green kernel wheat and had to use air if driver picked up too much tough had to separate bin or dry. It was a shit show.

Nothing wrong with doing it but it sure helps to protect other countries grain. ITs an embargo in the name of junk science.

Comment

I've said this before, most consumers have no idea this is happening, in fact most will deny that it is happening since it sounds so preposterous. A few good media campaigns informing the general public about this practice, and we may not even be able to market our own grain at home let alone our export markets, Farmers need to voluntarily end this practice while we still have a market to defend. Regardless of science, no consumer wants this.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
                    I've said this before, most consumers have no idea this is happening, in fact most will deny that it is happening since it sounds so preposterous. A few good media campaigns informing the general public about this practice, and we may not even be able to market our own grain at home let alone our export markets, Farmers need to voluntarily end this practice while we still have a market to defend. Regardless of science, no consumer wants this.

This. Exactly.

Comment

Originally posted by Klause View Post
                      This. Exactly.
                      Instead we come on a public forum and brag about doing it. Then post pictures of spraying in standing water, spraying off label, and many other unacceptable practices. Information we post here is available to all to view, and to search. One careless farmer here could cost the entire industry the loss of a market.

Comment

Originally posted by Klause View Post
                        This. Exactly.
                        Yeah, it's inconvenient though if the BTOs don't get finished harvest early enough to get 3 holidays in before Christmas. Who gives a stuff about the consumer? if they don't like it they can go hungry.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
                          Instead we come on a public forum and brag about doing it. Then post pictures of spraying in standing water, spraying off label, and many other unacceptable practices. Information we post here is available to all to view, and to search. One careless farmer here could cost the entire industry the loss of a market.
                          Totally agree!

Comment

I have been straight cutting for years now. I do not rely on pre harvest to get it done. Pre harvest is not even close to the best time to kill perennial weeds at any rate. Later the better post harvest has the biggest bang.

Yes, you can straight cut with ease without a dose of glyphosate. Ppl need to stop acting like it is a necessary step.

I am VERY encouraged that most on here agree that it is a dumb practice, and should come as no surprise that there is and will be push back.

And of course, I am in a far wetter area than most who seem to feel they just have to spray, or there will be green seeds, or it will never otherwise be ready. I am in a tropical jungle by comparison, and do fine without...

Comment

Part of the justification will be the amount of acres they need to cover.

Our peas get reglone.
                              We don't "preharvest" any cereals.

What about straight cut canola that guys are beginning to spray preharvest. I bet harvesting wet(immature) canola stocks is like combining tires.

It may not be registered as a desiccant but it is registered as preharvest weed control...follow the label recommendations and MRLs should be within tolerances.

Maybe anyone who doesn't do it should be paid a premium for their grain. Sign a declaration that glyphosate wasn't applied preharvest...and show me the money.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.