• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Peas

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chequing, was it at least good while it lasted?

2016 was a very good year for us(by our standards), peas were very healthy and we had "steady rain".
    Treated like they were every other year!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
      Beaverdam, Authority is expensive for what it controls...but we used it before on peas(when I felt rich) and lately have been using it on flax.
      Used authority on peas one year.crop came clean and good.then got a hail storm about this time of year that beat them down.Where I used authority peas never came back worth a dam.area I never used it peas came back taller.

Comment

Crop injury and rains are a definite last kick in the head .
        But the problem is already in the soil and a multitude of things going on below the soil surface.
        Herbicide residues and their effect on soil micro biology is the problem . Unhealthy souls are the direct cause of all these issues we have been seeing for several years in root rots in peas to fusarium in wheat. It’s all starting below ground , then weather and crop injury compound the effects .
        Be interesting to have everyone that has issues to test the soils for certain chemical residues. Especially the ones that tie up micro nutrients and or effect the beneficial bacteria we need in the soil to help make nutrients available to our crops. Magnesium is just one example of a critical micro needed in the plant to prevent certain diseases .
        They may show up on soil tests but not in tissue tests

Comment

No doubt crop rotations play a part but not the cause . Once the problem starts in the soil then every thing else starts compounding afterwards .

Comment

Agree furrow, it will be another decade to try and understand this better.

Are you doing anything non traditional for soil health, crop health etc?

Comment

furrow

I had an adequate crop of peas last year was new seed for this year ...Ammarillo....looked really good ...was really excited about the peas for this year ...

Added 40 pounds of a blend that should have started them well...they already have nodules and are pink but the root is carmel and the size of a toothpick....they are ****ed.

I also seed with a disk drill and roll soon after ...ground was nice to seed into, closing nice depth about 2 inches minimum....

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
                furrow

I had an adequate crop of peas last year was new seed for this year ...Ammarillo....looked really good ...was really excited about the peas for this year ...

Added 40 pounds of a blend that should have started them well...they already have nodules and are pink but the root is carmel and the size of a toothpick....they are ****ed.

I also seed with a disk drill and roll soon after ...ground was nice to seed into, closing nice depth about 2 inches minimum....
                It’s a soil issue , you seed most likely was very good . Ours has been as well , tested every year new seed every second year . That’s not the issue. It’s whats going on in the soil and the compounding factors after.

Comment

Has any one soil sampled and sent them away for a soil health test, I think the big labs do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Rareearth View Post
                    Has any one soil sampled and sent them away for a soil health test, I think the big labs do it.
                    Yes , last year , results were not all that pretty where root rot was really bad

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
                      Yes , last year , results were not all that pretty where root rot was really bad

That was the disease side
                      Never did a bacterial / fungi test tho

Comment

What do you seed into that disease infected ground?..sarcasm a little bit not to offend.

Comment

Would working fields going to be peas next spring in fall work? Harrow off after ripping.

Seems worked areanothing wrong.

Coming back to life after I spent morebut yield bonus gone.

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER3 View Post
                            Would working fields going to be peas next spring in fall work? Harrow off after ripping.

Seems worked areanothing wrong.

Coming back to life after I spent morebut yield bonus gone.
                            We have seen areas here the past few years where low areas were docked up good and disease was far less for sure .
                            I have heard also stubble burnt off there is generally zero disease issues . But that’s not first hand , I have not seen anyone do that here yet . Probably not the best thing but neither is spending an absolute fortune to seed then put herbicide on only to watch before your eyes the crop get decimated by disease in a week

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
                              What do you seed into that disease infected ground?..sarcasm a little bit not to offend.
                              We added a few things to our fertility and seeded wheat there . It looks great so far

Comment

Fall tiiling

We tilled about a section last fall. All seeded to durum this year. They evidently enjoyed loose soil. No peas planted here for decades.None around us either so can’t add to discussion. Sounds like maybe more compaction issues around root. Just maybe?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...