• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drought

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drought

It's here I'd say.

Click image for larger version

Name:	pr_30_ds_s_e.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	778036

Click image for larger version

Name:	pr_gs_av_s_e.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	778037

Tying into the palliser thread, it seems like drought is constantly knocking on my door... growing year to date moisture is ~2" behind last year, but wind has been less, and temperature has been considerably more moderate. July utterly molested us last year with zero moisture and ALOT of hot, windy, cloudless days. Timely moisture in the next 3 weeks will seal our fate.

Comment

Grain prices are not telling us there is a drought with below average yields on the way.

Comment

That's because farmers have the equivalent storage as the elevator....the reps don't think about 8 turns at their place and only one turn at a farm....

Comment

re wind find it puzzling you guys are so windy being so far away from the coast.

dont get me wrong i believe you must be latitude i guess being so far north?

further we get inland away from coast winds lessen.

talking to a old timer in brooks last year at a fuel stop had a coffee was a local and in his 80s and said for max production rain every 10 to 14 days is needed during late spring summer rather than big events.

guess he was stating the obvious was a rancher, looked as fit as a fiddle still rides every day except xmas and thanksgiving he said.

sure was dry there last year

Comment

The rocks to the west of us, cold to the north of us, and warm to the south of us all contribute.

I'm about 65-70mi ENE of Brooks. Moisture last year was great till last week of June then it just quit. Were pretty much permanently 3 weeks away from drought conditions. 1/2" every 2 weeks would grow a hummer!

Comment

The heat is on , hopefully get a splash this weekend .
              Finally not much wind but now too hot to spray by noon .
              Most guys don’t have a lot left tho

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
                The heat is on , hopefully get a splash this weekend .
                Finally not much wind but now too hot to spray by noon .
                Most guys don’t have a lot left tho
                Thunderstorms are like VLT’s though .
                Totally depends where they track and or how damaging they can be. Some like last week do more damage than good .
                Best to be on the edge of the big ones but that’s asking a bit much lol

Comment

im just east of where the rain has been falling in s. mb. wheat is heading and is 1' tall, canola bolting, and temps in the 30's will blast the flowers. crops look ok yet, but his is the week they go backwards. no rain in site. oh well at least no fungicide bill this year.
                  Last edited by MBgrower; Jun 19, 2018, 17:20.

Comment

Originally posted by helmsdale View Post
                    The rocks to the west of us, cold to the north of us, and warm to the south of us all contribute.

I'm about 65-70mi ENE of Brooks. Moisture last year was great till last week of June then it just quit. Were pretty much permanently 3 weeks away from drought conditions. 1/2" every 2 weeks would grow a hummer!
                    Actually stayed at rolling hills but went into brooks one day from memory about 10th of august height of the dry and didnt look like nraining the 3 days we were there

Comment

Originally posted by malleefarmer View Post
                      re wind find it puzzling you guys are so windy being so far away from the coast
                      In the open plains, it is indeed windy nearly all the time. But head north and it moderates a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by MBgrower View Post
                        im just east of where the rain has been falling in s. mb. wheat is heading and is 1' tall, canola bolting, and temps in the 30's will blast the flowers. crops look ok yet, but his is the week they go backwards. no rain in site. oh well at least no fungicide bill this year.
                        Quite the difference in area. The good wheat here is nothing like headed. Canola and bean land getting reseeded after the hail - wheat is tillering and coming back but how late will these crops be? Hopefully lots of greenfeed potential for us cow guys as we are going to need it.,

The 3" of moisture from that storm was a disappointment - soil is dry again so I reckon it didn't absorb more than 1/2" the rest filled sloughs and potholes - it just came too fast.

Comment

Originally posted by grassfarmer View Post
                          Quite the difference in area. The good wheat here is nothing like headed. Canola and bean land getting reseeded after the hail - wheat is tillering and coming back but how late will these crops be? Hopefully lots of greenfeed potential for us cow guys as we are going to need it.,

The 3" of moisture from that storm was a disappointment - soil is dry again so I reckon it didn't absorb more than 1/2" the rest filled sloughs and potholes - it just came too fast.
                          I'm surprised( and no, I'm not being facetious), I thought well managed grassland could absorb almost any amount of rain. That is supposed to be one of the major benefits of having all the thatch and lack of compaction. Gabe Brown makes some extraordinary claims about this very issue.

Comment

Oh and 1/10 is a well-needed rain I was told. WTF Grass

We could use a drink this weekend or next 10 days to keep it rolling forward. If misses us again yield potential is dropping. Just by looking at the plants I don't think its a 2017 yield potential.

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER3 View Post
                              Oh and 1/10 is a well-needed rain I was told. WTF Grass

We could use a drink this weekend or next 10 days to keep it rolling forward. If misses us again yield potential is dropping. Just by looking at the plants I don't think its a 2017 yield potential.
                              ...no, its better than 2016 yield potential according to the pictures you post. 😁

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.