• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Durum problem..any experts out there?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Durum problem..any experts out there?

Very unusual patchiness in our durum. Was very dry at seeding time.

Any ideas? Low oxygen/compaction?

Photo upload challenges too

Comment

Could be compaction. Maybe salinity, group 2 loading, micro deficiency?
      Just guessing

Comment

Gumbo - need good old-fashion discer. 🦍 When my father came to the Regina Plains, he came with press drill in tow and he was going to show the Frenchies how to farm. His brother was already here for a couple of decades and was an inventor who put seed and fertilizer boxes on discers and was pulling several in tandem. Well to make a long story short, after 3 years of wet ground, Mike was pulling discers until he retired. Not all soils are the same and when gumbo gets wet and packed, it is like See-Ment in wet years.

Comment

Gumbo is gumbo I agree. Look at it every miracle cure is great but it's your ground. You can spend, hell could but some 12 dollars more on my peas to make them look good after the rain. Yield will be maybe a smidgen more come fall but would look good fast.

Next year country.

Comment

Nitrogen toxicity, too much salt too dry, poor seed stock. Looks like lentil stubble was it heavy harrowed and blow baddly.
            Last edited by biglentil; Jun 17, 2018, 07:31.

Comment

I think it is gumbo compaction issue. We were so dry all winter that I don’t think the ground even froze. We barely could get the drill into the hard ground this spring.

Could it be Liberty residue? Bone dry More likely to leave residue.

Comment

Have similar patchy emergence problem with most of our crop.
                Think heavy harrowing to facilitate direct seeding made problem of soil movement from heavy rain with driving wind cause surface puddling and similar soil surface to shown in photos.
                Still hoping crops will grow out of patchy emergence.

Comment

ive got patchiness in some of mine on pea and lentil stubble. moisture at seeding was adequate. moisture so far has been adequate. Crop is visibly stunted, thin, curled leaves... I figured its a confluence of stressors. Odyssey hangover on the lentil stubble is the chief culprit, but has anyone ever had viper carry over? 2nd stressor is high nitrogen in the seed row. Without the residual chemical stress, it probably would have been fine, as everything else seems to be, but odyssey seems to have winged it, and seedbed toxicity has compounded the problem... if the tap shuts off in July, who knows, maybe it'll be my best crop, since it's already thinned out!

Comment

Originally posted by Ache4Acres View Post
                    I think it is gumbo compaction issue. We were so dry all winter that I don’t think the ground even froze. We barely could get the drill into the hard ground this spring.

Could it be Liberty residue? Bone dry More likely to leave residue.
                    Liberty can have a residual ?

Comment

Originally posted by helmsdale View Post
                      ive got patchiness in some of mine on pea and lentil stubble. moisture at seeding was adequate. moisture so far has been adequate. Crop is visibly stunted, thin, curled leaves... I figured its a confluence of stressors. Odyssey hangover on the lentil stubble is the chief culprit, but has anyone ever had viper carry over? 2nd stressor is high nitrogen in the seed row. Without the residual chemical stress, it probably would have been fine, as everything else seems to be, but odyssey seems to have winged it, and seedbed toxicity has compounded the problem... if the tap shuts off in July, who knows, maybe it'll be my best crop, since it's already thinned out!
                      I have the same-patchy, thinner wheat emergence on pea stubble. Excellent emergence on canola stubble seeded next day with everything the same. All nitrogen mid-row so not toxicity. Have not seen Viper carry before but only 3 in of rain last year. Only other thing I did was spray Distinct in the fall, but did that on canola stubble too. It’s only the pea stubble. Had fababean stubble (sprayed w viper too) and it is really good.
                      I am a bit baffled as to the cause but have had thinner stands yield very well. The crop is tillering hard and growing well and now looks really good. Would be good to know tho if something could have been done different.

Comment

To me it looks like multiple stages and also pounded by heavy rain...maybe standing in water a short time.

A4A....I think you're in my corner of Sask, given the "start" that crop had I think we need to cut them some slack!

Hard to believe that coming out of dismal drought-like conditions this spring, I am now entertaining the thought of trying a growth regulator on a quarter of Jatharia wheat. Jatharia is pretty tall...even last year after the rain tap turned off on a good quarter I wondered where the moisture came from to grow that much straw!

What a difference 4 weeks makes..."hard to believe", (burnt..lol)!

Comment

Originally posted by Quadtrack View Post
                          I have the same-patchy, thinner wheat emergence on pea stubble. Excellent emergence on canola stubble seeded next day with everything the same. All nitrogen mid-row so not toxicity. Have not seen Viper carry before but only 3 in of rain last year. Only other thing I did was spray Distinct in the fall, but did that on canola stubble too. It’s only the pea stubble. Had fababean stubble (sprayed w viper too) and it is really good.
                          I am a bit baffled as to the cause but have had thinner stands yield very well. The crop is tillering hard and growing well and now looks really good. Would be good to know tho if something could have been done different.
                          I think its Centurion carry over, did not think it had a residual. Just like you Quadrack, only on non clearfield lentil stubble that I dosed heavy with centurion last year. Can't be the Sencor.

Comment

Yeah farma...I guess you are right...should cut this one some slack. You know the crazy part...even after 8” of rain in the past few weeks...it is still what I would call “barely moist” at 2” deep.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                            • Return to Topic List
                            Working...
                            X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                            You agree to our and by clicking I agree.