Barley with canola for baling.

Beef Production

Tools

Barley with canola for baling.

Jun 9, 2018 | 08:13 1 Seeded barley with grass
..Last year it was canola.So i have lots of volenteer canola coming.If i green feed the barley and canola will that make good feed?can not spray or i would kill my alfalfa. Reply With Quote
Jun 9, 2018 | 10:11 2
Quote Originally Posted by newguy View Post
Seeded barley with grass
..Last year it was canola.So i have lots of volenteer canola coming.If i green feed the barley and canola will that make good feed?can not spray or i would kill my alfalfa.
You can spray Pardner safely on Alfalfa, and barley. Canola is not on the label, but it kills it. I silaged canola a few years ago, makes great feed, just have to catch it before there is any oil in the seeds.

I was warned against baling, since the stalks are so strong and sharp that they can puncture cows stomachs. that would of course depend on timing. Reply With Quote
Jun 10, 2018 | 11:52 3 We’ve been in the same situation a few times before and chopped or dry baled it with success. The canola had us concerned about smothering the alfalfa since it was really thick so we took it early and the feed was really nice. The stuff we dry baled took a long time to dry (oats, canola and alfalfa) cut with the discbine but if you have access to a bale wrapper/Tedder those problems become more manageable as heavy green-feed swathes takes a week to dry for us and usually Mother Nature has other plans. Reply With Quote
Jun 10, 2018 | 16:02 4
Quote Originally Posted by woodland View Post
We’ve been in the same situation a few times before and chopped or dry baled it with success. The canola had us concerned about smothering the alfalfa since it was really thick so we took it early and the feed was really nice. The stuff we dry baled took a long time to dry (oats, canola and alfalfa) cut with the discbine but if you have access to a bale wrapper/Tedder those problems become more manageable as heavy green-feed swathes takes a week to dry for us and usually Mother Nature has other plans.
If you can dry greenfeed of any type in a week, you are doing something right that I am obviously doing wrong. The canola silage needed to lay for a week to get it dry enough to silage, that was cut with the 10 foot discbine crimped hard. I was going to post pics of the size of the swath and height of the crop, but can't find any on this computer. Reply With Quote
Jun 10, 2018 | 17:42 5
Quote Originally Posted by newguy View Post
Seeded barley with grass
..Last year it was canola.So i have lots of volenteer canola coming.If i green feed the barley and canola will that make good feed?can not spray or i would kill my alfalfa.
Just let wilt for a day or so and chop for silage makes good feed. I wouldn't bale it as the cow will sort the stalks out. Reply With Quote
Jun 10, 2018 | 22:54 6
Quote Originally Posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
If you can dry greenfeed of any type in a week, you are doing something right that I am obviously doing wrong. The canola silage needed to lay for a week to get it dry enough to silage, that was cut with the 10 foot discbine crimped hard. I was going to post pics of the size of the swath and height of the crop, but can't find any on this computer.
The swath was laid out 6 foot wide and the canola kept it fluffy and it wasn’t lodged much so the stubble was kept longer. I find in heavy crops if the machine stays under 6 mph it leaves a ruffled swath compared going faster and laying a flat swath like a swather would.

I also forgot to mention we apply salt as a preservative so at 20% moisture it gets rolled which helps immensely.

The stars, moon, my patience...... etc. rarely align to give us a week of dry breezy weather so that’s why the tedder and wrapper have been added to the toolbox here. Both bought used one and two years ago but paid for themselves last year by saving about 2,000 bales from significant rain damage. Just about everything had a light shower but only had 120 acres get put up in nasty shape due to the weatherman changing his mind😉

Spreading two 19 foot swathes the day after it was cut allowing the ground to dry a little.


Raked, baled, and wrapped 150 acres of beautiful 40% moisture second cut through the night and finished in the morning. Planned on dry baling it for sale but our week of sun changed to snow instead.



Later after we finished wrapping that day. Reply With Quote
Jun 20, 2018 | 05:51 7 Sprayed the crop.worked well.thanks. Reply With Quote
Jul 25, 2018 | 12:22 8 Sprayed out canola a month ago and cutting barley for green feed now. Reply With Quote
Jul 25, 2018 | 12:23 9 Reply With Quote
Jul 25, 2018 | 12:24 10 Sprayed out canola a month ago and cutting barley for green feed now. Reply With Quote
Jul 26, 2018 | 12:24 11 Nice crop😎. Should make a few bales which is a good thing this year. Reply With Quote