• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Go Alberta go

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Go Alberta go

If Alberta can quickly bring an end to the communist experience in grain in western Canada; then go Alberta go!

The CWB reminds me of the East German gov't in the summer of 1989. The wall was starting to crack and they only tightened the screws more and cranked up the baloney cam. We all know what happened next.

Free wheat in the west, and let's get on with building the best damn grain industry in the world. We have the resources, knowledge and capital to do it. We just need the barriers torn down.

The world is not resting while we struggle with our domestic challenges.

Free wheat in the west.

Out of curiosity Eatmore:

What would you bid 1 CWRS 13.5 at your mill today?

Comment

http://www.hayhoe.com/Cash_wheat_prices.htm

Roughly $230/tonne for #1 cwrs 13.5 delivered my door

Comment

Found it myself:

#1 Western Hard Red Spirng wheat >14.0% Protein: $230.000/tonne [$6.26/bu]

Considering that rail freight from a mid-point in Saskatchewan to Ontario is going to be a $45.00 ride to the LH and beyond - it would still equate to over $5.00 a bushel backed off to Saskatchewan.

Anyone have rail freight from Scott, SK to Toronto?

Comment

Sometimes it is interesting to look at numbers.

Current St. Lawrence CWB asking price for 1 CWRS 13.5 % protein wheat - $244/tonne: (http://www.agric.gov.ab.ca/economic/stats/wkgrain.html)

Current CWB PRO 1 CWRS 13.5 protein - $206/tonne (basis Vancouver/St. Lawrence) - http://www.cwb.ca/db/contracts/pool_return/pro.nsf/WebPRPub/2003_20040226.html

CWB fixed price contract (assuming you signed basis contract earlier) - $200/tonne plus basis (likely $10 to $15/tonne) again basis port.

What would the producer direct sale price have been on Friday?

Comment

Eatmore:

Let's add demand to the picture. How much red spring do you mill a year?

Regards

Comment

Ontario mills over 1 million tonnes of Hard Red Spring wheat. Ontario is also growing more hard red spring and hard red winter wheat every year.

Comment

eatmorewheat: Ahh, now the HUNTER becomes the HUNTED, nice sidestep there, the question was, how much do you mill? And the next question could be, how much wheat does Ontario grow for sale?

Comment

The Producer Direct Sale Price on Friday was $220.63/tonne (Vancouver/St. Lawrence). Phoned 1 800 ASK 4CWB for this (not posted). The Fixed price contract I used was the May futures contract and can be found at: http://www.cwb.ca/db/contracts/ppo/ppo_prices.nsf/fixed_price/fbpc-wheat-2003-mhrs-20040312.html.

Just as a note, the producer direct sale price is close to what the fixed price contract would be if a farmer had signed up a basis contract last summer/rolled it to the May contract.

There are alternatives within the current mandate including 52 week a year cash pricing and/or no cost export licencing if chosen by the CWB.

Comment

Ontario grew over 2 million tonnes of wheat in 2003. 750 000 tonnes will be milled in Ontario and the balance shipped TARIFF FREE into the US and offshore. I grind roughly 10 000 tonnes/year of hard wheat.

Free wheat in the west.

Comment

incognito: Did you fall off the Palatial Veranda?lol What do you think of these #s from eatmore, do you think this is a relevent comparison. East versus west? Or are you starting your truck to haul some down east?

Comment

The cement pond broke my fall, so all is OK!!!

Price without demand is just a price.

Not starting the truck. Tom has the only one that can make inter-provincial runs....lol

With all due respect to Eatmore...10,000 tonnes is a good unit train and what do we do for the other 364 days of the year?

I've whacked the board pretty hard in the last month. Some to generate discussion and thought, some because I think they have not yet learned from the past - and as in your previous posts, the last one who did not heed the Ides of March warning, was left where?

Do I think it is a relevant comparison? No.

The fact that most countries are getting $5.00 for their wheat is.

Truthfully, I think we are growing more than we can command a premium for and where is the market signal for that?

Comment

incognito: I expect the answer to your last question is Mr. Li's upgrader/ethanol plant for cps,etc. Now go to bed, you starting to get eloquent! lol

Comment

I've got a speech to write for tomorrow yet...lol

I work to deadlines real well.

Comment

The organic comparison is very relevant. Ontario organics simply export. Western organics cannot compete because of the buyback.

The organic industry is small, and viable, and growing, and wants to progress that way.

Small mills are just as important as big mills in organics, and sometimes more so.

The CWB remains a major impediment to the growth of organics.We are very appreciative of smaller mills that provide a milling value-added service and add jobs to our communities.

Big companies want lots of bushels. Has the trend towards more and more production provided conventional farmers with more cash even though the gain in bushels is immediately erroded by higher priced inputs?

Huge mills, or huge packing plants etc.(government subsidized), are subject to shutdown food scares, but on a massive scale, which are inevitably downloaded on all producers. . Updating these plants will be downloaded on the taxpayer via more grants.

Massive scale operations do not automatically solve economic needs, (nor did the Red Cross blood pooling system address our health needs).

Big doesn't necessarily mean good, or efficient or profitable.

Diversity is essential in our society. Diversity in small mills, small processing, local packaging etc can provide a conduit that bypasses all the problems associated with massive systems. One problem area is automatically identified and isolated from the rest. One segment of the industry remains operable.

The idea of putting all your eggs in one large government run marketing/pooling basket lacks reason and foresight.

Even those obsessed with touting 'bigger is better' in wheat have turned to smaller production crops to actually pay their bills.

boone, you seem to try to disparage a smaller mill in this thread, or perhaps you just need a bran muffin this morning. Why don't you try encouraging small companies, (we could use more of them out here), particularly when you seem to non-supportive of the large companies.

Or is single-desk government-run your single goal?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.