• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friday Crop Report on a Thursday!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Friday Crop Report on a Thursday!

Click image for larger version

Name:	rddY9Ld4Ra2MiS9uszJzDQ.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	777987

Well, let the silly season begin. Every year is interesting and 2018 is starting out the same. Wind and cold and wind and hot and then Calm no wind but nice to downright cold. Now we are sitting on Ok soil moisture and sloughs are going down daily but south of Valley big cracks in the land. South of town is also way dryer.

Storms form look awesome on radar and get to us and fizzle out shortly afterwards. Or look so good and when they get to us they disappear. The 1930s my Dad said this is how it was. Let's hope not. So far the main ones come start in Edmonton and get to us just like the old days and if one comes from the south it might cross the valley or not.

Name:	4AsB2U+aRLaHD6CofVdwXQ.jpg
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	777988

Seeding is at 7% Complete as of this morning, had a rough start like always nothing goes the way you plan. Hell even got stuck once already, yes stuck but went into an area not seeded in a while made first pass around then tried second and that was all she wrote.

It seems the longer I do this game the more tired of it I get. You work like a fool to get the crop in, You work like a fool all summer to babysit it, then hopefully mother nature doesn't decide to be a real bitch and give you moisture or not or she decides to take it in July with a hail storm or August with a frost, and then maybe the rain gods will stay away in fall so a nice harvest can be had. Lots of ifs there isn't there.

Its a lot easier to sit behind a desk tell the stupid farmer what he needs to seed or spray or buy and go home at night and relax.

Why do we do it is the Billion Dollar question. We all start out positive and ready to take on the world. With a little luck, you can do ok with bad luck your F#$Ked from the start.

Is it the adventure to risk it all on 6 in of black dirt and 5 in of rain. It sure isn't to get rich quick.

Is it a love of the land, or the smell of the dirt or watching how the plants grow from spring till fall.

Hell or is it just plain Insanity.

But here we go again.

2018 will be a tough one if the rain gods don't show up soon and give most of western Canada a drink. Manitoba and parts of Sask are dry. The weather will be the story in 2018.

So far most in our area are starting or full bore seeding. Moisture conditions are ok to good on most farms in our area. No one is really working anything. Seed roll and leave.

Those in the industry that think it will be wall to wall Canola good luck with that if no moisture continues for another month we even will wonder why the hell we spent so much money sticking the overpriced shit in the ground.

Fire is the other issue, WTF why would anyone burn yesterday you have to be a really special person. North wind and let's see what happens.

So be safe and remember the ones at home are way more important than any crop.

I bet its a #3 hrs wheat grade already.

Name:	VvnPK2YpQc2gBRvvSdDXMQ.jpg
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	777990

Oh, as far as shit for brains down east he didn't let us down again he is in full bore open the borders give the illegals all they want and put people who actually want to come here back in the line. Real special and this time its a bunch of Nigerians. Boy, that's a nice country to invite people to cross the border. This border issue will bite us in the ass but here is my theroy. The liberals are always trying to be the champion of the Middle class and poor. They take NDP votes away and gain power going up the middle the rest of us just want to work pay a few taxes and let us be. So the Liberals realized that the Poor vote isnt working for them and the Native vote sooner or later they will wake up and realize all the liberals do is talk and talk and cry and do nothing. So this time the Liberals are brinnging in hundreds of thousands and putting them in ridings they know they can now win. Most time its hard to get the poor to vote and bribe the Native population. But a freeloader who crosses the border and gets room and board and a living allowance. Hell Voter for life.

Name:	31958897_10155270171616533_2200090752493551616_n.jpg
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	777989

What are others seeing in their area and what percentage seeding are you at.

Name:	accuprecip.jpg
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	766433

Well, they all are out and they all agree it will be a good summer at the lake with no mosquitos but smelly green water in the valley.

The dry area is most of the production in Canada.

Maybe this is why most are not really going full bore.

Drew has the area Manitoba and NE to North. But rain to fill soil is the thing that's needed. So far 2 tenths aren't going to cut it. Yes, grass we are counting tenths.

Comment

This SandboxFarmer3 is about 50% done. But an oversized drill for our farm size and no major weather delays and some young legs all make it possible.

Take care and work safe everyone.

Comment

20% done here cant believe how easy it is to farm in the dust
        But how do you southeners ever get used to this wind ??

Comment

Fungicides? Probably not $150,000 to $200,000 savings. If it stays dry.

One spray liberty instead of two.

No fall burn off everything is dead.

From floods to drought climate change no it’s basically western canada

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER3 View Post
            .... Yes, grass we are counting tenths.
            Good show! keep it up.

Comment

I’ve gone to the dark side might even vote for Trudeau

No

Comment

Meanwhile how are the railway and grain cos doing in clearing the backlog at West coast....thunder bay is open movement should have doubled.....

Can anyone tell me a profit making crop this year without being at 50 plus bpa?

Comment

It’s nicewith almost no sloughs

Comment

We don’t hear too much about the hay crop - no need to get the baler out here.

It’s pretty lonely out on the ol’ prairie. One farmer next to us seeds 10,000 acres with one drill. Another one seeds 50,000 with 3 drills. And so the neighbours are - gone to greener pastures.

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
                      Meanwhile how are the railway and grain cos doing in clearing the backlog at West coast....thunder bay is open movement should have doubled.....
                      As far as ships in port they are likely 3 or 4 days behind. I have no doubt that opportunities were lost this winter/early spring
                      Country elevator stocks are dropping every week but higher than they were last year at this time

Comment

Seeding just started here east of Edmonton but is now interrupted by showers. Looks like a a small amount and then nice weather. Condition here assuming this rain doesn't go on for two weeks and dump 5 inches are just about perfect. Still some wet areas to go around but much smaller than they have been.

Comment

Originally posted by sumdumguy View Post
                          We don’t hear too much about the hay crop - no need to get the baler out here.

It’s pretty lonely out on the ol’ prairie. One farmer next to us seeds 10,000 acres with one drill. Another one seeds 50,000 with 3 drills. And so the neighbours are - gone to greener pastures.
                          Inevitable outcome of artificially low interest rates. Dead communities and no neighbors. Much of the prairies will be uninhabitable soon. No way some of these seeding monstrosities would be economic if there wasn't cheap debt. Oh well damage has been done. Still some smaller farmers around here and I like that for as long as it lasts.

Comment

Originally posted by farming101 View Post
                            As far as ships in port they are likely 3 or 4 days behind. I have no doubt that opportunities were lost this winter/early spring
                            Country elevator stocks are dropping every week but higher than they were last year at this time
                            Whats the longest vessel wait now and how much is waiting?

over a million tonnes waiting to be loaded?

Current stocks levels and space at west coast?

Insight is helpful but this should be a public weekly publication just like SF3 reports.

Free as well. He tells the world more in a paragraph than most of the experts for free....He is such a kind and generous guy..lol...Why I am not sure because everyone follows his lead and reports their progress as well....for free.

Any info I would want would cost me dearly plus they expect me to pay to give them my data...

Make the industry work for or pay for this free info....

Comment

We at 20% Done.
                              The C+D cleaned our ditch last fall..we will be able to seed a 100 acres more this yr..land has been under water for many yrs.and we just summer fallowed it July and August.
                              Down to minus 5 last night..

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.