• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grain Trailers

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grain Trailers

Looking at buying a grain trailer this spring, wondering what guys are using? What do you like about what you have. I’m looking at a new Emerald tri axle. I have 3 neighbours with tandems and they seem to like them. Price wise they seem “affordable”.
    New aluminums are out of my price range. There are some used 14-15 Wilson’s, but the prices are like buying a new Emerald.
    A lot of crops now a days are picked up on the farm so I don’t want to spend a fortune, but trailers seem to be holding there on as far as price is concerned.
    Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Wilson Tridem here, sides are pretty damn high. Good for all that light shit grain we grow here in the "Slum of the Ghetto". Don't buy anything that has low clearance hoppers if you are looking for a used trailer at a good deal.

We were thinking about one of those welded solid aluminum trailers(Dakota?), don't do it either. A local Fert retailer had one and cracking became an issue.
    Last edited by farmaholic; Apr 16, 2018, 08:04.

Comment

we have a 2010 wilson tandem we bought new . I really like it . how about a used wilson ? the one drawback with it , is the gravel and dirt that piles up inside . I have often thought that if you could get an open ended wilson it would be a really good trailer . the problem with steel is , the rust shows up in 3 or 4 years thanks to this potash that they put on roads . we are lucky we can go on grid roads if hiways are salty . we also have a older steel one that we had repainted in the 90's with lots of rust and holes . neither have ever had fert inside

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
        Wilson Tridem here, sides are pretty damn high. Good for all that light shit grain we grow here in the "Slum of the Ghetto". Don't buy anything that has low clearance hoppers if you are looking for a used trailer at a good deal.

We were thinking about one of those welded solid aluminum trailers(Dakota?), don't do it either. A local Fert retailer had one and cracking became an issue.
        One of the first things I look at is the hopper height. I think most brands have made the hoppers up higher.

Comment

Really watch used for hopper height. Yankee origin especially.
          I stick to aluminum because a trailer is just chicken skin and steel is born to die eventually unless you can take excellent care of it.
          Bought first wilson new when dollar par. Hold value very well.
          Bought second wilson at 13 years of age. Similar money to a steel with one foot in the grave. Watch for crossmember cracks at rivets. Catch em and weld em. Dont buy an abused one. Not as bad as people think. Airplane wings are riveted not welded solid.
          To me personally steel at any price was too much for its expected lifespan. Talking farm use only.
          Only dawback to "farm" hoppers as they call them is having to crawl in to sweep once in a while depending on product.

Comment

Seed growers might have different preferences for sure.
            But ya, a perfect trailer would have open ends too.

Comment

We have a Timpte tandem that is a very nice trailer. Aluminum but well made. We also bought a Lode King steel tridem this spring. We have only pulled a few loads with the tri but, quality and service from Lode King is great. For steel, I'd recommend the Lode King.

Comment

We have had Wilson and Doepker trailers.

Really like Doepker and will be sticking with them.

We used to have super-b but most of our farm is for seed production so we are not hauling to far now.

Like the 3 hopper in the middle tridem. Great for seeding can have 3 different products for the drill. We did custom hauling for 11 years and had super-b and tridems. For local hauling 30 miles or less the tridem would haul as much or more in a day than the super b’s would. Tridem would usually get extra load in on day of local hauling. Faster loading unloading insurance and repairs are less and use a lot less fuel.

Comment

Been buying used trailers never had a new one. With Doepker can get a good used tridem for around $40,000 to $45,000.
                  Use it for 5+ years and just about sell it for what you paid for it.

Comment

Wilson commander here. Tandem axle with 3 hoppers 27 inch clearance under the hoppers great seeding and harvest trailer. Replaced our tandem truck. Turns better than a tridem, cleans out good and legally only 3.5 tonnes less than a tri.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                    • Return to Topic List
                    Working...