• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Heifer Calving Date

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heifer Calving Date

I am curious when most people like to calve their heifers. We personally like to calve them out 2 weeks ahead of our cow herd. We are breeding a bunch of heifers that have the likelihood of being sold as bred heifers this fall and would like to know when the most popular time would be.

Let me know what date you like to calve your bred heifers.

Originally posted by clayrwilliams View Post
    I am curious when most people like to calve their heifers. We personally like to calve them out 2 weeks ahead of our cow herd. We are breeding a bunch of heifers that have the likelihood of being sold as bred heifers this fall and would like to know when the most popular time would be.

Let me know what date you like to calve your bred heifers.
    Personally early mid February but I have a big enough shed to house everyone at night. Ideally start a month before cows. However, depends on general area and how things are done. Imagine if you turned bulls out June 1 you’d be safe to please most.

Comment

My heifers are Bred to calve at the same date as my cows April 20. They are exposed to bulls for 30 days or less as opposed to cows 60 days, this allows the heifers 30 extra days to get in shape for rebreeding yet everything is calving at the same short time.

Comment

Originally posted by WiltonRanch View Post
        ... Imagine if you turned bulls out June 1 you’d be safe to please most.
        Most that like calving in winter LOL!

We used to calve heifers ahead of the cows but now calve them all at the same time, just getting started now.

Comment

Originally posted by grassfarmer View Post
          Most that like calving in winter LOL!

We used to calve heifers ahead of the cows but now calve them all at the same time, just getting started now.
          All depends on what floats your boat. As much as we exude the virtues of later calving dates at least here earlier bred heifers trade higher than the later ones. Still lots of mixed operations and ranches that want to calve on frozen ground than ass deep mud and have pairs out of the way when seeding starts. Though lots of guys like you calving later on grass too.

For me calving heifers first works the best. You’re fresh and eager at the start. Heifers tend to pose more problems so get them calved out and the cows are more on their own later when you’re less eager.

Comment

Heifers always calve with cows starting in May. I have no interest in having the calving season any longer than it absolutely has to be.

Comment

Our bulls go out April 29 with cows and heifers. Let the chips fall where they may. They know the calendar too, because there's a lot of pushing going on in the bull pen right now.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...
              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.