• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wild heifers

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wild heifers

Anyone find their bred heifers unusually rattled this year? Kinda thought it was just us but overheard auction market guy saying guys are experiencing this.

We just started calving the heifers and they seem normal here so far, at least it looks like it should start warming up.

Comment

Calved out 50 so far, quiet and no issues at all!

Comment

Our heifers have settled down pretty well. About half calved out. I have noticed that there are quite a few losing hair. Probably lice. I don't think it helps their temperament or mothering ability. We depend on generic ivermectin in the fall for lice control. For some reason not good this year.

Comment

I was talking to a buddy the other day about the pour-on not being effective and he agreed. His theory is that product that doesn't meet the quality standards is being shipped to us here on the east coast as he figures that they take us as a push over. I don't believe that is the actual reason but it seems the generic stuff that I am using doesn't seem to do the job as it once did. Is it like the antibiotics and a build up of resistance to the ivermectin is taking place?

Comment

Was that Noromectin you're having trouble with? I've used it in the past with no issues but picked up a bottle at Peavey Mart that had water in it - at least a liquid that froze enough to plug the tube and wreck my gun when it was -20C. I guess if you'd used that in the fall on a warmer day you'd never have noticed. I took it back and got a replacement but I don't think they were surprised.

Comment

I beleive it was, the last jug I got was Bimectin I think but haven't used it yet.

Comment

We used ivomec itself applied November and cows are sure rubbing now. Everyone is finding the same. Vet says it’s more dandruff than anything but judging by missing hair I’d say the stuff didn’t perform. Maybe should retreat with cylene or another mode of action.

Comment

My theory is the more you use, the more you have to use....before I got into purebred, my cows seemed OK not to have anything.....when the purebreds came in and had been on a "program", it was very noticeable...damned near naked....when I didn't Ivomec the first year. Had to change quickly.
                  For a while we could get "Lice Off" and I alternated between the two and seemed quite adequate. But then Lice off disappeared.
                  Noticed they are scratching lots now, but higher temps and hair will make you do that.
                  Kinda like hayfields...once you start fertilizing, you had better keep it up....mother nature has her systems and we tend to like to meddle.
                  Haven't noticed heifers being any wilder this year...but this calving late
                  April/May on lots of acres does make them a little more heads up...but they seem to get used to me fairly quickly now that I am visiting more than once a week.

Comment

We never did our cows this winter either perfecho, lost a little hair but nothing to worry about compared to losing all the dung beetles if you do use it. Still do the weaned calves though.

Comment

That does seem to be a problem....every time we "use our science"...it seems to upset something else....

Comment

We do the calves with ivermectin and safeguard. This year we used Solvet which is a Canadian product and quite inexpensive. Our vet said if they itch it is cheap enough to do them again, but he is the guy selling it. We don't generally do the cows. The only cow missing hair is the one I had to pull out of the tire tank waterer the other day and that is not from lice. There is no pour on that fixes stupidity (man or beast). We never pour in spring/summer and if you graze high, worms etc. are pretty well a non issue.

Comment

Originally posted by smcgrath76 View Post
                          We do the calves with ivermectin and safeguard. This year we used Solvet which is a Canadian product and quite inexpensive. Our vet said if they itch it is cheap enough to do them again, but he is the guy selling it. We don't generally do the cows. The only cow missing hair is the one I had to pull out of the tire tank waterer the other day and that is not from lice. There is no pour on that fixes stupidity (man or beast). We never pour in spring/summer and if you graze high, worms etc. are pretty well a non issue.
                          So to clarify what you are saying that 90% of cattle people are stupid? I know what you are saying but explain yourself better.

Comment

I think Sean was saying the cow was stupid..;-) Taking a bath this time of year....sheeesh....

Comment

Originally posted by perfecho View Post
                              I think Sean was saying the cow was stupid..;-) Taking a bath this time of year....sheeesh....
                              Yeah. There were two points he was making that if read wrong by some with low comprehension would get offended and not understand some valid points. Sorry I was getting picky. Only ivomec in November and have little lice problems. This year is different. Touch wood we don’t use fly tags or any other insecticides and have little problems.
                              Last edited by WiltonRanch; Apr 17, 2018, 18:46. Reason: Clarity

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.