• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wasn't that the year that everything froze to a crisp?

Wasn't here yet then... Can't remember.

Yes August 4 th it froze from 10 pm till 9 am shit stunk of plant death the next day I was at green water

Comment

2004 here, August 20th. 53-pound durum. Late wheat field had a beautiful stand, nothing in it. Same for flax.
      Last edited by oldjim; Apr 6, 2018, 00:05.

Comment

Originally posted by Klause View Post

was 2004

Comment

2004. Aug 19. Barely froze in terms of temp. I had zero bushel flax, 45 bus canola, and 50 “bushel” wheat, that weighed 47 lbs, all within a mile. Canola saved me that year. Canola fields were surrounded by bush. That was the only difference, and is part of the reason I leave it standing after seeing the results of the open land that year.

2002 and 2003 were awesome years, nice and dry, and an easy, early harvest. Even did some wheat in August that year.
          Last edited by Sheepwheat; Apr 5, 2018, 15:15.

Comment

We are overdue, I must say. Not happily.

Comment

2002 was the year we did very little combining, if any, here.

Comment

Thnx.

Worried with a short seeding window and a late start... As some have said. We may be in for an early frost. Thinking canola and barley and some peas are best bet?

Comment

Thnx.

Worried with a short seeding window and a late start... As some have said. We may be in for an early frost. Thinking canola and barley and some peas are best bet?
                  1996. Started seeding on May 27th. Finished June 13th. Harvested mostly in October. Good crop though, no frost damage that year. Even had cps wheat I seeded on June 2.

Anything can happen in this country, my friend...

Have seeded in June probably more times than not. Earliest start for me has been May 7. Have rarely suffered fall frost. Most of my land is fifty to a hundred feet higher than to the west tho, we are up on a kind of plateau, so that helps too for frost.

Comment

Have had more than one experience with August frost, one every ten years or so, agree we are overdue.
                    2004 one we had some canola swathed, little damage, started swathing wheat next morning and also remember frozen smell. Able to bale some of worst for feed, rest low bushel weight, all harvested.
                    Carried over some frozen crop into next crop year, able to mix it off.
                    Think worst frozen crop and land depended more on topography than bush shelter.
                    Recently broken land seemed to freeze worse than older stuff, either bush or prairie.
                    Early settlement days some farmers would put just oats or barley in certain areas known to be more prone to August frost.
                    Sask land assessors often did not know more frost prone land, led to Land Bank paying too much for some land when it existed.

Comment

Weve never had a frost quite that bad here yet. I do remember one year the odd late canola crop got er depending on location. One year i remember snowflakes in August.

Mother nature seems to have her seasons regardless of calender.
                      Although i agree the golden rule is that winter is always coming.
                      Im not altering seed plans yet in fact i never have.
                      We'll get our 2 weeks or so. Seed heavier, lighten up the N if you have to.
                      The wheats we have now I'd worry after May 26ish. Canola june 6ish.
                      Making above changes near these dates.
                      We always win!!!!

Comment

04 here as well. Bought a section that spring and a section of crop froze on us that fall to the the point of basically 0% production, half section of flax and a half of wheat.....had to combine it all to get rid of the straw. It was 25% of our acres. Ag Stability later paid on that year then asked for some back........I blame Sumdumguy!

😉

Comment

2004, all my soybeans froze, zero yield. At least I had crop insurance on it. Was a nice canopy up until the frost got it.

Comment

Aug. 19-20, 2004 Started freezing about 9:00 pm. Canola made it and had a good crop. Wheat yielded good but had a bit of frost damage and then I held it until the next summer and sold it all off board for $2.04 bu.
                            Last edited by seldomseen; Apr 5, 2018, 21:15.

Comment

1998 froze late july, many crops ran 0. Let there be no doubt why i farm to survive rather than get rich quick. Next year froze august 5. Bring on global warming.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...