Can the planet feed 10 billion interesting read for farmers and consumers

Commodity Marketing

Tools

Can the planet feed 10 billion interesting read for farmers and consumers

Mar 11, 2018 | 02:16 1 http://www.afr.com/business/agriculture/can-this-planet-feed-10-billion-people-20180219-h0waof Reply With Quote
Mar 11, 2018 | 06:14 2 Not sarcastic but how many die from starvation right now? Is that starvation b cause there is no food or no money for those people starving?

How much is waisted that could be used to feed the hungry?

Can this even be calculated?

When I think of these things I wonder how the heck can there be hungry people in saskatchewan when we export billions in food? Reply With Quote
SASKFARMER3's Avatar Mar 11, 2018 | 07:46 3 McDonald’s in USA is doing their part I had a water and breakfast sandwich $ 2.00 even on food stamps Americans shouldn’t go hungry.

Now I’ll put on my farmer hat hahahaha hahahah

This shit just keeps coming up to get us idiots to grow more for same price as 1900z Reply With Quote
Mar 11, 2018 | 08:08 4 If those without money in the world had money to buy food, there could be a food shortage but until that happens there is more than enough food to feed those with money.

This horse has been beaten to death for how many decades now, but farmers keep increasing yields hoping there is a major crop failure or disaster elsewhere. Reply With Quote
Mar 11, 2018 | 08:41 5 Have you seen the latest product at Costco. ..doomsday kits of food...enough for a year for 4....and shelf life of 30 years....

And yet there are starving people in the world...

It's been said for 50 years how are we going to feed 10 billion people....

NO one fucking cares...

Trudeau could have donate the value of those costume to food aid instead of being a moron.... Reply With Quote
Partners's Avatar Mar 11, 2018 | 08:42 6 They always tell us to grow more.
But the fricken rail way can't or will not move more. Talking to the wrong group.. Reply With Quote
Mar 11, 2018 | 08:48 7 Man made global warming, food shortage scams go hand in hand follow the money.
Last edited by binthere; Mar 11, 2018 at 09:08.
Mar 11, 2018 | 08:53 8 There is no food shortage in the world. ....none.

Trudeau could send the entire crop of pulses from Canada to starving countries....he chooses not to.

He could leave the money in Canada. ..just by paying farmers here.... Reply With Quote
farmaholic's Avatar Mar 11, 2018 | 09:23 9 I believe feeding the world is far more hand to mouth than we realize, the problem is complacency and being comfortable living hand to mouth. If there was ever a huge disruption is supply caused by some natural out of our control phenomenon that reduced supplies going forward it would show just how precarious the balance actually is. Even without any food waste or spoilage.... how many "days" would that buy us...

Maybe 101 can show us a yearly world supply and demand chart, or stocks to use chart.

Steady as she goes until something huge upsets the routine.

With zero production, or maybe even severly reduced production, I think world stocks are measured in DAYS not years...

Think about it. Reply With Quote
Mar 11, 2018 | 09:33 10 Its all available at costco.....no problem.

Or you can overpay for food at any fine Weston family grocery....lol

There is no food shortage....just no willing participants to do anything but write a cheque to dictators ... that hasn't fed anyone yet. Reply With Quote
Mar 11, 2018 | 09:34 11
Quote Originally Posted by bucket View Post
Have you seen the latest product at Costco. ..doomsday kits of food...enough for a year for 4....and shelf life of 30 years....

And yet there are starving people in the world...

It's been said for 50 years how are we going to feed 10 billion people....

NO one fucking cares...

Trudeau could have donate the value of those costume to food aid instead of being a moron....

How much does a Doomsday Kit cost at Costco? Reply With Quote
Mar 11, 2018 | 10:12 12 Only in New Mexico and Arizona? Reply With Quote
Mar 11, 2018 | 10:13 13 up to 6000 dollars....canned lentils ....how about that Reply With Quote
Mar 11, 2018 | 10:19 14
Quote Originally Posted by farmaholic View Post
I believe feeding the world is far more hand to mouth than we realize, the problem is complacency and being comfortable living hand to mouth. If there was ever a huge disruption is supply caused by some natural out of our control phenomenon that reduced supplies going forward it would show just how precarious the balance actually is. Even without any food waste or spoilage.... how many "days" would that buy us...

Maybe 101 can show us a yearly world supply and demand chart, or stocks to use chart.

Steady as she goes until something huge upsets the routine.

With zero production, or maybe even severly reduced production, I think world stocks are measured in DAYS not years...

Think about it.
We all know Vancouver and west coast sits on a major fault. It is just when it happens. East shipments have mostly been done away with. Reply With Quote
Mar 11, 2018 | 10:50 15 Wmoebis

Yup ....on Rocky Mountain railway program highlighted the containers coming into Vancouver destined to Toronto. Reply With Quote
Mar 11, 2018 | 11:55 16 Main contributor to hunger is political difficulties, not agronomic limitations.

It will always be this way.

Human ingenuity has always responded positively to natural, existential challenges. It's the way we're made.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opin...ticle34709360/

Seems to me that the world surplus is something like 50 or 60 days? Or maybe 90? But around those figures, if I'm not mistaken.
Last edited by burnt; Mar 11, 2018 at 12:01.
Mar 11, 2018 | 12:39 17 Disrupting the current cheap food policy would stimulate the masses to grab torches and pitchforks. It's absolutely in govt best interest to keep the population cheaply fed. Hungry people get violent. Reply With Quote
fjlip's Avatar Mar 11, 2018 | 12:57 18
Quote Originally Posted by macdon02 View Post
Disrupting the current cheap food policy would stimulate the masses to grab torches and pitchforks. It's absolutely in govt best interest to keep the population cheaply fed. Hungry people get violent.
And every farmer on earth ,oh except French pissed of farmers, never get violent, just keep getting screwed by the 98% NOT farmers. Society has nothing to fear from farmers, but 98% hungry would be chaos. We lose every time the options are weighed behind closed doors. The 98 can put down any pissed of farmers easily. At the ballot box even easier. Reply With Quote
farmaholic's Avatar Mar 11, 2018 | 15:32 19 My point has nothing to do with the ability of getting adequate supplies to where they're needed. Or politically induced famine or hunger is in fact a reality.....

The point was an inadequate supply.

Successive catastrophic crop failures due to volcanic winters, longterm continuous devastating droughts, meteor strike, go ahead and laugh.....man is no match for the power of Mother Nature.

We probably can feed the world's forecasted 10 billion people.....if we're allowed to, by the grace of Mother Nature. Reply With Quote
Mar 11, 2018 | 15:51 20 Ever wonder why gun control rules in Canada are way different than the US. If shit ever hit the fan the masses would riot and there would be chaos and dead bodies everywhere. When people get hungry they do whatever it takes to survive. I believe Farma is right that the food supply is tighter than they let on. Can’t keep the prices low if supplies are tight. Another thing that a lot of people can’t fathom is the amount of tonnes of food we waste in this country. We could feed thousands of people with what we throw away. Reply With Quote
Mar 11, 2018 | 17:00 21 You guys know its cheaper to move the cows to the feed than the feed to the cows.....there is a lesson there. Reply With Quote
Mar 11, 2018 | 18:50 22 I have access to a quant system that looks for and identify cycles. It looks at markets on all time frames and on a yearly level it is very very interesting. It's showing 2019 as a direction change followed by 4 successive years of panic cycles. Possibly outside reversals on a yearly level or sheer panic. It'll be interesting times ahead to say the least as a grain farmer. It's also showing trend into 2024 Reply With Quote
Mar 11, 2018 | 22:30 23
Quote Originally Posted by macdon02 View Post
I have access to a quant system that looks for and identify cycles. It looks at markets on all time frames and on a yearly level it is very very interesting. It's showing 2019 as a direction change followed by 4 successive years of panic cycles. Possibly outside reversals on a yearly level or sheer panic. It'll be interesting times ahead to say the least as a grain farmer. It's also showing trend into 2024
Macdon, could you explain what you are talking about in more detail.

Sorry, I’m not bright enough on my own. Reply With Quote
Mar 11, 2018 | 22:43 24
Quote Originally Posted by Stampsguy View Post
Macdon, could you explain what you are talking about in more detail.

Sorry, I’m not bright enough on my own.
He is likely referring to Martin Armstrong. There is a lot of info posted there for free access: https://www.armstrongeconomics.com/blog/

He is forecasting a big upwards move in grain prices due to deteriorating (cooling) climate. This is all based on historical cycles of virtually everything economic related.

You can also subscribe to his forecasting service which allows access to "Socrates" where one can evidently create forecasts for most anything. Reply With Quote
Mar 11, 2018 | 22:59 25 Correct. I went to the 2016 conference in Orlando sat with employees of Canada's biggest banks, was told to prepare for a possible doubling of interest rates overnight in Canada. Was told that Sunday afternoon and first thing Monday morning RBC and TD jacked prime on mortgages. Have had access since Jan of 17 and after about 4 months of trying to understand it the light bulb came on. It's legit. Now the kicker is the grain cos either have the same or possibly Renaissance s system, or a variation of their own. It's mind blowing the accuracy in locating turn points. Then you see how every market is connected. All I can say is there is a cycle to everything. Fundamentals mean nothing. It's very tradeable just on the numbers. But extremely easy to blow your brains out as well if you don't understand it. It takes me about 2 months after harvest just to get reconnected to it. Expect that to get shorter as I go with it.
Last edited by macdon02; Mar 11, 2018 at 23:05.
Mar 11, 2018 | 23:06 26 It's a shit ton of info to process. Reply With Quote
Mar 11, 2018 | 23:45 27 https://www.armstrongeconomics.com/markets-by-sector/agriculture/the-approaching-famine/

Prepare for less bushels Reply With Quote
Mar 12, 2018 | 08:08 28 Macdon2

Interesting and yet no one learns from this????? Reply With Quote
farmaholic's Avatar Mar 12, 2018 | 08:11 29
Quote Originally Posted by bucket View Post
Macdon2

Interesting and yet no one learns from this?????
it should make the Railroads job easier! See there's always a bright side. Reply With Quote
blackpowder's Avatar Mar 12, 2018 | 08:38 30 He blames inheritance taxes for gmo and less seed diversity??
I like cyclical studies and dislike inheritance taxes but he jumped the shark there. Reply With Quote