• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What % of farmers use PCs and Internet

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What % of farmers use PCs and Internet

Has there been a recent study on the percent of Canadian farmers using computers for farm management, and the percent of those using Internet?

Hi Ralph - The latest survey I can find is the Western Canadian Benchmark Survey of 1998. It was done for the Alberta Farm Business Management program by Garven and Associates. They found that 63% of those surveyed had a computer (up from 59% in 1996). Also, 34% of respondents had an Internet connection (up from 10% in 1996). This information is 2 years old but it shows the trends. Today, I believe that Internet usage is much higher than that. From the Alberta farmers I talk to, I believe that 75 or 85% have access to the Internet (either at home or at work). Anyone know of any more recent information?

Comment

Thanks Ted - Was the Garven study done on a random sample of ALL farmers in Alberta or just full-time farmers with over $100,000 in gross revenue? If the study includes part-timers, then I'm surprised that the numbers are so high.

Comment

The 1998 Western Canadian Benchmark Survey- interviewed by telephone over 250 farmers/ranchers in each of the three prairie provinces. A total of 751 interviews were completed. The target group for this survey were farmers/ranchers under age 60 earning the majority of their income from farming/ranching. The target group were considered full time farming, although, many still worked off the farm.

Comment

LOTS OF THEM

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
          • Return to Topic List
          Working...
          X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
          You agree to our and by clicking I agree.